Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

I love Heart and Souls, but while it has some very funny scenes, I think of it more as a fantasy movie than a comedy.

I'll second both Mr. Mom and The Dream Team.
You are right, gbg. I debated in my head whether to recommend Heart and Souls as a comedy - but it is more of a fantasy & heartwarming movie.

I like both of these movies, but chances are that they'll both miss my list.

@Citizen Rules, Do you dislike Peter Falk? He was great in both of these movies.
I don't dislike Peter Falk, but as a kid his character Colombo kinda freaked me out. As an adult I'm not really a fan of his, though I can't say I've seen many of his films. He wasn't the reason I didn't like Murder by Death...The reason I didn't like The Great Race was Jack Lemon's grating on the nerves performance and usually I like Lemon.

I love Heart and Souls, but while it has some very funny scenes, I think of it more as a fantasy movie than a comedy.

I'll second both Mr. Mom and The Dream Team.
I'll check out both Mr. Mom (maybe I seen it decades ago?) and The Dream Team. I already acquired Galaxy Quest and My Cousin Vinny and will be watching/posting about them here and soon. Thanks for the recommendations GBG if you have anymore I still got room my comedy ballot

You guys crack me up! @gbgoodies @Citizen Rules and @Captain Steel..we all are about the same age and you 3 love old movies more than I do. Don't get me wrong, there are some I adore but I don't watch them all the time.

You guys crack me up! @gbgoodies @Citizen Rules and @Captain Steel..we all are about the same age and you 3 love old movies more than I do. Don't get me wrong, there are some I adore but I don't watch them all the time.
So true! I watch almost exclusively old movies from the 20th century, with the 1950s-1960s being my favorite decades. I just love being able to time travel back and see images, styles and mannerisms from the past. And the style of film making and story telling suits me well.

It's funny because if we're watching a film from say 2000 I'll tell my wife, 'oh we're watching a newer film tonight' And yet it's almost a quarter of century old!

And I didn't even recommend any comedies from the 20's, 30's, 40's, or 50's!
(Only because I haven't gotten to them yet!)

I watched one of these recommendations last night, good comedy too! I'll post about it later today.

I just got Boeing, Boeing (1965), as soon as I seen it was a 1960s films about airlines it caught my interest. I like movies on planes as much as submarines And the Pan Am stewardess are a big plus! I watched a good comedy about three Pan Am stewardess called Come Fly With Me (1963)...so I was pretty excited when I read about Boeing, Boeing.

OSS-117: Cairo, Nest of Spies

Extremely funny, a goofy yet witty send up of the initial Bond-era films. The same team that later went on to Oscar glory with The Artist, this is much broader and sillier while really nailing the look and feel of the early 1960s. For my money better than Top Secret! or Austin Powers or any of the others that have aimed for similar targets. There is a sequel, OSS-117: Lost in Rio, but it isn't as perfectly achieved the second time around.

The original is a scream.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I mean films of any genre.

It's ok. Each of us have some similar and some different.

I mainly enjoy films from 1900 to 1949.

Ok @Citizen Rules, I have one for you. I remember watching it when I was young. Baby Doll (1956). I don't remember it being a comedy but it apparently is.

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
My Little Chickadee
Accepted
Yellowbeard
Caddyshack
The Blues Brothers
Animal House
Bridesmaids
Grosse Pointe Blank
The Birdcage
Kung Fu Hustle
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Brewster's Millions
Kentucky Fried Movie
Hollywood Shuffle
Night Shift
Night Patrol
Doctor Detroit

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

OSS-117: Cairo, Nest of Spies
Just read about that and it does look pretty fun-cool. Thanks I'll add that to my watch list.

Ok @Citizen Rules, I have one for you. I remember watching it when I was young. Baby Doll (1956). I don't remember it being a comedy but it apparently is.
Nice choice and I'm glad you mentioned that as I forgot to include it in my possible comedy movies for my ballot.

I watched one of these recommendations last night, good comedy too! I'll post about it later today.

I just got Boeing, Boeing (1965), as soon as I seen it was a 1960s films about airlines it caught my interest. I like movies on planes as much as submarines And the Pan Am stewardess are a big plus! I watched a good comedy about three Pan Am stewardess called Come Fly With Me (1963)...so I was pretty excited when I read about Boeing, Boeing.
Boeing Boeing is unique for several reasons.

It's Jerry Lewis's only team-up movie during his post Martin & Lewis period, but with a different partner: Tony Curtis (and the only movie I believe the two ever made together).

Tony Curtis had a couple buddy / team-up movies, but he was never part of any kind of consistent team (unlike Lewis).

This seemed like it would have been a perfect Martin & Lewis movie if the two had remained together (and perhaps it was even intended as such).

The theme probably would not be allowed today as it focuses on Curtis capitalizing on his girlfriends' jobs as stewardesses to carry on multiple, adulterous relationships.

Lewis is a different kind of "patsy" here as he is not the entirety of comic relief as he usually is in most his other movies, but rather falls somewhere between comic-relief and straight man as he gets caught up in the lascivious juggling schemes of his overly-amorous friend - with that friendship itself being tenuous at best.

Someone classified Baby Doll as a comedy?
I think they made a mistake.

Baby Doll is a very uncomfortable film to watch - probably more uncomfortable than Lolita.

It's weird too - two middle-aged men (and rather homely ones at that) at odds with each other while lusting after a girl barely out of her teens - who acts much younger (thus the title) but who is already married to one of the men with a pre-set date to consummate their marriage on her 20th birthday!

This movie is rife with age-inappropriate sexual fetishes & innuendo, disturbing scenarios and scenes bordering on abuse as it always seems right on the edge of violence.

While this film is hard to look away from (like a car crash), it is chaotic & conflicting on an emotional level. It always left me with a bad taste in my mouth, like I just watched something that was covertly vulgar and morally dirty. Thus, I never thought of it as a comedy.

Boeing Boeing is unique for several reasons.

It's Jerry Lewis's only team-up movie during his post Martin & Lewis period, but with a different partner: Tony Curtis (and the only movie I believe the two ever made together).

Tony Curtis had a couple buddy / team-up movies, but he was never part of any kind of consistent team (unlike Lewis).

This seemed like it would have been a perfect Martin & Lewis movie if the two had remained together (and perhaps it was even intended as such).

The theme probably would not be allowed today as it focuses on Curtis capitalizing on his girlfriends' jobs as stewardesses to carry on multiple, adulterous relationships.

Lewis is a different kind of "patsy" here as he is not the entirety of comic relief as he usually is in most his other movies, but rather falls somewhere between comic-relief and straight man as he gets caught up in the lascivious juggling schemes of his overly-amorous friend - with that friendship itself being tenuous at best.
Somewhere I'd read that after Dean Martin left his comedy duo pairing with Jerry Lewis, that Lewis had partnered up with someone else and that the new comedy team didn't strike gold, like it had with Dean Martin...So I guess this is the movie I'd read about, only I didn't know the title! I'm glad to hear that Lewis plays it a little more straight as truth be told I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis' comedy. But with Tony Curtis chasing sexy stewardesses around the friendly skies...I'm ready to watch

Someone classified Baby Doll as a comedy?
I think they made a mistake.

Baby Doll is a very uncomfortable film to watch - probably more uncomfortable than Lolita.

It's weird too - two middle-aged men (and rather homely ones at that) at odds with each other while lusting after a girl barely out of her teens - who acts much younger (thus the title) but who is already married to one of the men with a pre-set date to consummate their marriage on her 20th birthday!

This movie is rife with age-inappropriate sexual fetishes & innuendo, disturbing scenarios and scenes bordering on abuse as it always seems right on the edge of violence.

While this film is hard to look away from (like a car crash), it is chaotic & conflicting on an emotional level. It always left me with a bad taste in my mouth, like I just watched something that was covertly vulgar and morally dirty. Thus, I never thought of it as a comedy.
You just described the perfect comedy to me

Somewhere I'd read that after Dean Martin left his comedy duo pairing with Jerry Lewis, that Lewis had partnered up with someone else and that the new comedy team didn't strike gold, like it had with Dean Martin...So I guess this is the movie I'd read about, only I didn't know the title! I'm glad to hear that Lewis plays it a little more straight as truth be told I'm not a fan of Jerry Lewis' comedy. But with Tony Curtis chasing sexy stewardesses around the friendly skies...I'm ready to watch
I don't know, Rules.
1965 was well-into Jerry's solo career and almost 9 years after he and Dean-o split up. And I don't think Tony Curtis ever had any intentions of hooking up with anyone as a team (outside of a few one-off movies with other male actors).

I wouldn't call this a rip-roaring comedy, but much of the humor comes from the dead-pan consternation of Thelma Ritter who almost steals the movie as a frazzled housekeeper who has about had it with keeping up with all the shenanigans.

I don't know, Rules.
1965 was well-into Jerry's solo career and almost 9 years after he and Dean-o split up. And I don't think Tony Curtis ever had any intentions of hooking up with anyone as a team (outside of a few one-off movies with other male actors).

I wouldn't call this a rip-roaring comedy, but much of the humor comes from the dead-pan consternation of Thelma Ritter who almost steals the movie as a frazzled housekeeper who has about had it with keeping up with all the shenanigans.
The more you describe this the better it sounds to me...I'm a big fan of Thelma Ritter. She usually steals all the scenes she's in.

Hope you don't mind me going on (but I like to analyze these things)...

On the comedy dynamic: with Martin & Lewis movies it was usually a brotherly type relationship, with Dean acting as the older brother watching out for his somewhat dimwitted, hyperactive, naïve and child-like charge (Lewis).

But in Boeing Boeing the relationship (or team, if you will) has a completely different dynamic.

There's really no straight-man / comic-relief set up. Both characters seem equally sophisticated (and thus adept at scheming or aiding & abetting scheming). They are somewhat similar characters - both jet-setting playboy types. Thus their friendship seems much cooler (less intimate) than the old Martin & Lewis scenarios. These guys seem more like associates who get caught up in each other's schemes than they do close friends.

That's why this film is atypical, character-wise, for Jerry Lewis, while Tony Curtis has played very similar "shallow & scheming" characters in many of his movies.

Hope you don't mind me going on (but I like to analyze these things)...

On the comedy dynamic: with Martin & Lewis movies it was usually a brotherly type relationship, with Dean acting as the older brother watching out for his somewhat dimwitted, hyperactive, naïve and child-like charge (Lewis).

But in Boeing Boeing the relationship (or team, if you will) has a completely different dynamic.

There's really no straight-man / comic-relief set up. Both characters seem equally sophisticated (and thus adept at scheming or aiding & abetting scheming). They are somewhat similar characters - both jet-setting playboy types. Thus their friendship seems much cooler (less intimate) than the old Martin & Lewis scenarios. These guys seem more like associates who get caught up in each other's schemes than they do close friends.

That's why this film is atypical, character-wise, for Jerry Lewis, while Tony Curtis has played very similar "shallow & scheming" characters in many of his movies.
WARNING: "You may not want to read this before seeing the movie:" spoilers below
P.S. Huge spoiler based on your stated interest - virtually none of the movie takes place aboard a plane - to the best of my memory anyway. Sorry.