Boyhood (2014) - Richard Linklater's newest film

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
This film is beginning to spark a lot of discussion, especially on the independent circuit. Boyhood is literally twelve years in the making, with filming commencing in 2002 and the project ultimately wrapping up in 2014. Apparently, it is being viewed as a very 'ambitious' piece, and I can completely understand why. It is also written by Linklater, who is an extremely talented screenwriter, as evident in his Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight films, Waking Life, and Dazed and Confused. Even though no trailer has yet to be released, let alone a poster, this is what it is (apparently) about:

The film tells a story of a divorced couple (Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette) trying to raise their young son (Ellar Salmon). The story follows the boy for twelve years, from first grade at age 6 through 12th grade at age 17-18, and examines his relationship with his parents as he grows.
A few screenshots:

It is set to premiere at the Sundance Film Festival (January 19) and will also be screened at the Berlin International Film Festival. There has been no talks, up until this point, about a wide theatrical release, but apparently, this film may spark buyers, so that is always a good sign.

I personally can not wait for this film. Twelve years in the making, documenting the life of a child from 6 years of age up until the end of high school, and actually seeing the real transformation on our screens, in narrative form? Sounds awesome to me. It also has Linklater behind the camera, so I doubt it'll be a disappointment. It is rumoured to be 164 minutes long, so it will be epic in scope, and hopefully in content too.

Coincidentally, the film has just been premiered (didn't realise it was already the 19th), and the reception has been overwhelmingly positive.

I watched the Before trilogy the other day and thought they were brilliant, this looks very interesting with the ambition of the whole thing, sounds great.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The part that interests me is how Linklater will deal with the passage of time. The narrative is uncharacteristic in that Linklater prefers condensed, usually single day narratives, and I think the fleeting passage of time is one of his distinct abilities to convey as a director.

i was just about to make a thread for this because i saw it was getting great reviews at sundance. it looks so good, and i adore the before trilogy. no way this won't be amazing.

I like Linklater a lot, but the real timescale does deter me slightly. I simply don't see the point. Make the documentary. If that's the hook, it's not been baited properly for me.

Update:

Hawke hails 'unique' Boyhood movie.

I am very eager to watch this, but I doubt it'll be given any type of release until late this year.

Sounds like the Before trilogy meets The Tree of Life
That's just what I was thinking! I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Sounds incredible. Before Midnight and the entire Before trilogy as a whole is one of the greatest cinematic experiences ever. I have no doubt in my mind this film will be mesmerizing.

Boyhood (2014) by Richard Linklater

Synopsis from MUBI: "Boyhood tells a story of a divorced couple (Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette) trying to raise their young son (Ellar Salmon). The story follows the boy for twelve years, from first grade at age 6 through 12th grade at age 17-18, and examines his relationship with his parents as he grows"

Before Midnight was one of the best movie experiences i had in 2013, so im looking forward to Linklaters newest effort Boyhood!

Must be doin sumthin right
Somewhat surprised I've never heard of another big name director who's done a stunt like this. Must have been crazy hard to cast the kid and his sister trying to imagine what they'd be like ten yrs down the line. This is probably my most highly anticipated movie right now.

The film currently has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Some more screenshots:

I like how Linklater accents the aspect of 'time' in his films. It works brilliantly for the Before Trilogy and this also seems like an interesting project. It's been on my watchlist for quite some time and I'll be sure to check it out when I get the chance.