Music in Film: Favorite scores, songs, soundtracks, and scenes

Tools    

Even during the silent era, music played an integral role in conveying meaning and emotion. In over 100 years of cinema, we've seen the implementation of music grow and be constantly redefined by filmmakers with unique visions and objectives.

This is a thread for you to discuss and share your favorite musical bits in film.

I'll start.

One of my favorite uses of music in cinema goes to Reservoir Dogs:

Here is a tune I love that has been generally used to great effect in film:

And here is one I intend to use in a film some day, but I won't reveal in what capacity because there's no fun in that:

And finally, I leave you with a playlist one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years, 2009's Moon, composed by Clint Mansell:
&playnext=1&list=PL3DDCB453F59F99F1&feature=results_main

Favorite scores would include Eraserhead, The Face of Another, Woman in the Dunes, Pitfall, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Akira, There Will Be Blood, Ichi the Killer, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Paprika, and Valhalla Rising, off the top of my head.

Hell, I guess I might as well mention Drive, seeing that it did propel me into a synth pop phase last summer.

I really like "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds in The Breakfast Club. The movie and song fit so well together.

Worse use of film score: Christopher Nolan.

The scores for Inception, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises is basically the equivalent of getting punched in the face a bunch of times.

Example:

Worse use of film score: Christopher Nolan.

The scores for Inception, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises is basically the equivalent of getting punched in the face a bunch of times
Yes, it really is a rarity for me to enjoy anything Hans Zimmer does.

Bernard Herrman was one of my favorite film composers.
Citizen Kane
Psycho
Jason and the Argonauts
Day the Earth Stood Still
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
Gullivers Travels
Mysterious Island

Ennio Morricone is also one of my favorites and also Henry Mancini. His ending theme in Lifeforce makes one just about have an orgasm.

Clockowokr Orange (the opening makes me wanna go kill a homeless guy ) and everyhing by Tarantino, no one uses music the way he does.

Even during the silent era, music played an integral role in conveying meaning and emotion. In over 100 years of cinema, we've seen the implementation of music grow and be constantly redefined by filmmakers with unique visions and objectives.

This is a thread for you to discuss and share your favorite musical bits in film.

I'll start.

One of my favorite uses of music in cinema goes to Reservoir Dogs:
Mine too The best dramatic/hilarious movie scene ever. I remember when I danced to this track at the prom. I never felt so badass in my entire life

Since I am more of a urban music fan, for me the best soundtrack was "Romeo must die". Hard to compete with that soundtrack on that music genre at least.

For the more classical-score movies, I'd go for "Gladiator".

Cried a lot. Like a hungry toddler without titties

And finally, I leave you with a playlist one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years, 2009's Moon, composed by Clint Mansell:
&playnext=1&list=PL3DDCB453F59F99F1&feature=results_main
Positive rep from me ^ for quoting one of the best soundtracks in recent cinema. Clint Mansell is close to being a genius.

See also:

-Yann Tiersen's work on "Amelie" and "Goodbye Lenin"
-Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - "The Road", "Jesse James", "West of Memphis" and "The proposition"
-Whoever mentioned Ennio Moricone deserves an applause too.
-28 days later has an awesome soundtrack
-As does "Cafe de Flore"
-Michael Nyman and Brian Eno have also done great score work in cinema.

Ennio Morricone is my favorite composer, in addition to these two songs he has numerous masterpieces, simply brilliant. Another composer that I put on the same level is John Williams, long career of great masterpieces too.

-28 days later has an awesome soundtrack
Ah yes, good call! I forgot that Danny Boyle structured the film based off of GY!BE's album, F♯A♯∞, as well, which is awesome. He was able to use a heavily edited version of the track East Hastings, but couldn't get rights to put the actual track on the soundtrack.

Not to mention by favorite Brian Eno track and that awesome Grandaddy track.

Another great track to cry. I'm so soft when it comes to endings.

I completely forgot how amazing the soundtrack for 'Drive' was.

Probably one of my favourite soundtracks of all time, I love the way it was used at the beginning of the film during the credits.
I loved the film when I first saw it, but I really want to see it again now.

Clint Mansell's "Lux Aeterna" leitmotif in Darren Aronofsky's Requiem For A Dream was brilliant.