The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I liked Beetlejuice well enough when I last saw it a decade or two ago? But I didn't think about it for the list.

O Brother is a good one. I liked it well enough. But yeah, that didn't make the cut either.

I am hoping that I did make a difference with my ballot. We'll see with time.

76 points, 7 lists
MASH
Director

Robert Altman, 1970

Starring

Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman

76 points, 7 lists
Dazed and Confused
Director

Richard Linklater, 1993

Starring

Jason London, Rory Cochrane, Wiley Wiggins, Sasha Jenson

rauldc14
2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Nothing funny about MASH. This list was very good but now I'm getting worried.

Seen both, voted for neither. Mash is a 7/10 from me and Dazed and Confused is an 8/10. I have Dazed and Confused on Criterion blu ray.

Seen: 26/26 (100 %)

Trivia: The fourteen-year-old son of director Robert Altman, Mike, wrote the lyrics to the theme song, "Suicide is Painless". Because of its inclusion in the subsequent TV series, he continued to get risiduals throughout its run and syndication. His father was paid $75, 000 for directing, but his son eventually made about 2 million dollars in song royalties, with payments continuing, from first syndication through 2020 as Mash continues in syndication.

Two good movies that would both make my top 100.

mrblond
Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I guess these are #75 and #76 actually.

A hit and a near miss. "Dazed & Confused" was yet another last second cut. Being a fellow "Class of '76er", this film nailed many of the avenues that the teens traveled on back in the day. It captured an era perfectly.

" M*A*S*H" was my #23. Actually liked the TV series more, but that's another thread. I'd label this one of the first "hip" dark comedies, much like "Catch-22", uses the backdrop of war as a blank canvas.

Have seen so far: 15 - Mash - Saw this movie a few years ago and thought it was okay, I wouldn't consider it as a favorite of mines.
Dazed and Confused - An alright high school movie, didn't find much laughs in it really

Have not seen so far: 11

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

M*A*S*H is a pretty good satire, though it had no chance of making my ballot. Haven't seen Dazed and Confused yet.

PHOENIX74
I forgot the opening line.
M*A*S*H is pretty good. I only watched it for the first time a couple of years ago at a friend's place. He knew I was burning through Bud Cort's meagre career output, and he was a big Robert Altman fan. Bud's mostly in the background of the scenes he's in - which is quite a few, but he rarely gets lines. Apart from that, it was a film of performances for me, with Donald Sutherland, Elliott Gould, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman and Robert Duvall all getting a moment to shine. Altman really was a kind of ensemble type of director, and enjoyed getting the most out of a varied group of players for many of the films he put together. I'm also happy to say that when my parents were courting, one of the films they went to the movies to see was M*A*S*H, so I regard this film as a kind of family charm as well. Didn't consider it for my ballot (only the films I found exceptionally funny did get considered) but it's well deserving of a place here.

Dazed and Confused is a film I've been working on seeing lately, being one of the only films I need to complete one of my lists. I'm sure I have it on DVD around my place somewhere, so it won't go unseen for long - it seems well worth watching, but has just passed me by through the years.

Seen 18/26 - only 1 from my list and a 1-pointer so far.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

So who else has seen all 26 so far?

So who else has seen all 26 so far?
Definitely Mark and Holden. I should watch Clueless and join the club.

Two filllums I find enjoyable to one degree or another though I'm also one that will admit to finding the TV series of M*A*S*H better than the movie and Dazed & Confused doesn't have any 'nostalgia' influence to help boost its rating for me. Of the two only the former would have been in with a shot of making my ballot.

Seen: 14/26

mark f
Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
MASH was one of the first movies to make fun of everything in a serious way. Yes, it's a dark comedy, but mostly it's a satire, and those two combined often strike people the wrong way. The lead characters are so unsympathetic themselves - they try to appear far above what's happening around them, but really they're scummy surgeons who are good at their jobs. It's difficult to see them as someone to respect more than others. All this may come across as misguided now, but basically MASH encourages you to question everything, including itself. It was one of the first films, along with Patton, I saw at a walk-in theatre with my parents. (We always went to the drive-in together, but I was dropped off at the walk-in to watch my Disneys and horrors with my brother and best friend.) It was also the first R-rated movie I saw. It was a product of and ahead of its time; it's as much about sex and politics as it is about war. I've watched it twice recently, and it doesn't seem as entertaining to me but still good.

Dazed and Confused is a film I really like. It has an enormous cast and loads of laughs but I didn't vote for it.

Not a fan of either of these.

Iroquois
Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Dazed and Confused was my #18. There's a great sense of humour to just about all of Linklater's pictures that makes him such a favourite and Dazed isn't exactly a laugh riot but it doesn't really need to be, it just proves a warm (yet still fairly cynical at times) piece of work about him looking back on his 1970s adolescence, trying to be warts-and-all about it (look no further than the relentless hazing rituals or the skeezy older dude still hanging around with teenagers) but still getting swept up in the party-hearty vibes of vandalising mailboxes and organising impromptu keggers in the woods. I've seen MASH once and liked it, keep meaning to revisit it.

MASH is great. Another that's due a rewatch. I'm a big fan of Altman. I have another of his films on my list that isn't necessarily laugh out loud but the comedy in the satire and how excellent the film is had me wanting to represent it - at least at the time I sent in my list. Dazed and Confused did make my 25. Love this movie. Been watching it since I was a teenager and it never gets old.

13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)

Also a few points:
- gbgoodies yes I noticed that right away. I mean the guy is right in the middle of the poster for the film named after the character he plays! Just a bit annoying oh well.
- Allaby asking who has seen them all so far. I've seen them all.
- cricket, watch Clueless, join us!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

M*A*S*H - Really liked it as a teenager, revisiting it in the past 5 years, some parts (including some of the comedic parts) aged well, and some parts (some of the comedic parts) aged really poorly. I guess some of it might come down to how you view how you think the film feels about the main characters' antics in some of the scenes. I remember one of the film podcasts I listen to, when they revisited MASH, it kind of went down as one of the most divisive episodes. Despite those mixed feelings, it is still a movie I feel is worth owning (at least in the sense that I did buy a digital copy of it at some point). While, I didn't put any Altman on my ballot, I did at least consider The Long Goodbye.
I'm looking more forward to when that or Nashville show up, which I think have stood the test of time better.

Dazed and Confused - Linklater is weirdly mostly a blindspot for me, and this is one of them. A lot of his movies are favorites for other people, and they generally sound like they're probably good. I just don't feel the pressing need to go out and see them. Always the proverbial, "oh yeah, I should watch that at some point," despite being positive on what I have seen. I think A Scanner Darkly and Boyhood are the only ones I saw mostly in the timeframe of the year or years after they were released. I did finally get to Before Sunrise this past year.

Seen: 20/26
No further updates of my ballot making the list.

Reply to Topic