→ in
Tools    

73 points, 7 lists
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Director

Jeremiah S. Chechik, 1989

Starring

Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, Juliette Lewis, Johnny Galecki

*sigh* I worked real hard to get to 50% and then blam there it goes.

Not seen either, not averse to perhaps giving Step Brothers a go at some point (though I'll hardly be seeking it out) but having put myself through one of the National Lampoon's films (Vacation) and having absolutely no love whatsoever for Chevy Chase I'm highly unlikely to ever watch another.

Seen: 10/22

Have seen so far: 12 - Step Brothers - This movie was hilarious and enjoyed every minute of it.
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - The movie was alright, for some reason I just don't find chevy chase all that funny

Have not seen so far: 10

My Ballot so far

#11 - Step Brothers (2008)

That's 2 movies from my predictions list, the movies predicted from list and got right so far are:

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)
Stripes (1981)
When Harry Met Sally (1989)
Wayne's World (1992)
Step Brothers (2008)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Trivia: The theme park that served as Wally World was actually Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA. The roller coaster referred by Clark as the Whipper Snapper, is actually called "The Revolution" , and was the first roller coaster to feature a 360 degree vertical loop.

I can stomach having Christmas Vacation on but I'm only a fan of the first of the series.

Seen Step Brothers once. It was ok but I was disappointed.

This is the first time Step Brothers has made one of the MoFo Lists. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was #80 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1980s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Victim of The Night
I do have a film based on "Saturday Night Live" characters on my ballot, but it ain't Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar. Is it The Ladies Man? Superstar? Stuart Saves His Family? It's Pat? Stay tuned...
Many of us probably have the same one.

Step Brothers was one of the last ten I cut...which left so much more room for activities! I figured it didn't need my help to make the list. I am glad that was the correct assessment. I like the first three National Lampoon's Vacation movies to varying degrees. Christmas Vacation has become a holiday viewing staple, and rightly so. I didn't really consider any of them for my list. I would have put A Christmas Story, Elf, or even the original Miracle on 34th Street on my ballot ahead of the Griswolds, were I looking for a Yuletide choice. I do have a Chevy Chase movie on my ballot but it isn't from the Vacation series.

Two movies I think are pretty funny but don’t make me laugh enough to be favorites.

I think all three of the Vacation movies are humorous but I don’t ever feel the need to go back to them. I feel like I have been around Christmas Vacation more than I have actually sat and watched it. Definitely seen it at least three times all the way through though.

Step Brothers I have only watched once. It certainly has some great moments that have stuck with me. I don’t think it comes together as a whole for me though. Still, I could watch Ferrel and Reilly do about anything together and get some laughs. Fun movie

Neither were in consideration for my list.

"Stepbrothers" is the only film with Will Ferrell that I can tolerate. Mostly because of the interaction between Jenkins and Reilly.

I'm also in the boat as many here in not finding Chevy Chase very funny. I see " National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" more of an ensemble piece with all the relatives. Guess we'll be looking forward to "Vacation" showing up later in the countdown. Don't really have a problem with that.

Neither made my ballot.

Victim of The Night
Funny, neither of these were in my broadest possible consideration.
Stepbrothers because I never saw it because I just couldn't imagine it actually being an enjoyable movie. Something about it just seems awful to me. Meanwhile, a lot of people have told me it's really funny so I imagine it's like some kind of food that smells like a dumpster but tastes delicious.
Christmas Vacation is a movie I nearly hate.
I saw it when it came out and just thought it was stupid. Not good-stupid either just truly stupid, an insult to its audience.

On Mel Brooks, I am surprised to find as much difference of opinion as I'm seeing and also surprised to see anyone liking Robin Hood: Men In Tights, which I thought was an absolute tragedy as I squirmed at it in the theater and felt sympathetic embarrassment for everyone involved but especially Elwes and overwhelmingly Brooks, who I felt had just shown everyone that he was no longer in any way funny or relevant. And I felt this opinion was validated by the subsequently abysmal-bordering-on-unwatchable Dracula: Dead And Loving It and Life Stinks. To watch a master fall like that was painful to me.
Though, it's not like I didn't see it coming, as I thought Spaceballs was a startling step-down from all of his previous work.
All that said, I will watch Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, History Of The World, Part 1, High Anxiety, Silent Movie, The Producers, and The Twelve Chairs any time anyone wants to.

Meanwhile, my percentage-seen has dropped precipitously to 68%, 15/22.

Seen both, liked both, voted for neither. I have Step Brothers on dvd and Christmas Vacation on blu ray.

Seen: 22/22 (100%)

Victim of The Night
Step Brothers was one of the last ten I cut...which left so much more room for activities! I figured it didn't need my help to make the list. I am glad that was the correct assessment. I like the first three National Lampoon's Vacation movies to varying degrees. Christmas Vacation has become a holiday viewing staple, and rightly so. I didn't really consider any of them for my list. I would have put A Christmas Story or even the original Miracle on 34th Street on my ballot ahead of the Griswolds, were I looking for a Yuletide choice. I do have a Chevy Chase movie on my ballot but it isn't from the Vacation series.
I am also wondering if we have the same Chevy Chase movie (as well as the same SNL).

On Mel Brooks, I am surprised to find as much difference of opinion as I'm seeing and also surprised to see anyone liking Robin Hood: Men In Tights, which I thought was an absolute tragedy as I squirmed at it in the theater and felt sympathetic embarrassment for everyone involved but especially Elwes and overwhelmingly Brooks, who I felt had just shown everyone that he was no longer in any way funny or relevant. And I felt this opinion was validated by the subsequently abysmal-bordering-on-unwatchable Dracula: Dead And Loving It and Life Stinks. To watch a master fall like that was painful to me.
Though, it's not like I didn't see it coming, as I thought Spaceballs was a startling step-down from all of his previous work.
Same. Robin Hood makes me cringe uncontrollably. I recognized, even in '87, that Spaceballs was not great, but I can't hate a film with Moranis and Candy in it so it gets a pass. Honestly, my interest wanes starting with History P2.
But yeah, that '67-'77 streak is hard to beat.

I think Silent Movie should be discussed more often. As a fan of silent comedy I really feel like he nailed a certain "spirit" that I'd struggle to put into words. It wasn't just a 70s comedy with no dialogue, is what I'm saying. He captured a certain undefinable thing about silent movies. It's not quite the accurate recreation that Young Frankenstein or High Anxiety are, but it's in the same realm, I think.

Step Brothers is one of two movies where I think Will Ferrell is actually well used, mostly because it casts him as an obnoxious, unlikable ******* and dunks on the idea we would ever root for him. Deeply unpleasant character, very funny movie. I did not vote for it, however.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've watched The Producers a couple of times and think it's okay enough; though more clever conceptually than in a laugh-out-loud kind of way. Wayne's World is fine enough, but as far as these kind of Gen X-era comedy duo movies go I'll prefer Bill and Ted or Beavis and Butt-Head. I've watched Step Brothers once and, for better or worse, don't feel much cause to watch it twice. Christmas Vacation is tolerable enough when it's the season but even then I don't go out of my way to watch it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Step Brothers is a supremely-idiotic comedy with equally-moronic characters and situations resulting in nothing less than a funny, laugh-out-loud flick about competing 40-ish stay-at-home sons who become part of the same family when their parents marry. The fact that the characters played by Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly probably have IQs which total together less than one-half of what one of them weighs shouldn't be held against the movie. Of course, if you don't like a film such as There's Something About Mary, you should probably steer clear, but this thing has tons of gross-out gags along with a few actual sophisticated touches which seem to have been added as almost an afterthought. Mary Steenburgen and Richard Jenkins are solid as the parents, and Adam Scott is appropriately-hateful as the successful younger brother of Ferrell. I don't really relate to it on a personal level but it certainly has no problems going in bizarre uncharted waters quite often, so I give it points for that.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is a seasonal revisit for me. Lotsa fun, especially concerning the Christmas Tree, the Lights and Randy Quaid's usual insanity.

Neither on my ballot.

Same. Robin Hood makes me cringe uncontrollably. I recognized, even in '87, that Spaceballs was not great, but I can't hate a film with Moranis and Candy in it so it gets a pass. Honestly, my interest wanes starting with History P2.
But yeah, that '67-'77 streak is hard to beat.

I think Silent Movie should be discussed more often. As a fan of silent comedy I really feel like he nailed a certain "spirit" that I'd struggle to put into words. It wasn't just a 70s comedy with no dialogue, is what I'm saying. He captured a certain undefinable thing about silent movies. It's not quite the accurate recreation that Young Frankenstein or High Anxiety are, but it's in the same realm, I think.
I'm sure it will get talked about more if Spaceballs does show up with his two acknowledged comedy masterpieces, but I think what happened wasn't that Brooks' humor fell out of fashion but that he no longer had any real emotional connection to nor deep knowledge of the kinds of movies he is spoofing in the second half of his career. While Blazing Saddles definitely has some Bugs Bunny, throw everything and the kitchen sink at it energy, at its heart it understands and even loves the Western genre conventions it is subverting or playing against. And of course Young Frankenstein looks and feels exactly like the classic era of Universal monster movies it is a take-off of. I think Silent Movie and the best parts of High Anxiety work because he loves Silent comedy and Hitchcock.

By the time we get to Spaceballs, Robin Hood, and Dracula he no longer loves and probably barely even watched the original Star Wars trilogy, the Kevin Costner Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, or Coppola's take on Bram Stoker's Dracula. To me Spaceballs looks like the cheapest episode on the last season of the "Buck Rogers" TV series. Instead of hiring Dennis Muren or some great effects expert and giving it all the feel of a modern Sci-Fi epic it's just, eh, here's some grey, cardboard, overlit sets and cheesy outfits and whatever. Close enough. And that lack of attention to detail and the visual aesthetic continued with Hood and Dracula. He would have been better off parodying the 1938 Errol Flynn Adventures of Robin Hood and other swashbucklers of that era - movies he certainly knew and loved - than to give flat nods to the Costner flick without bothering to learn what made that movie tick and popular. It was very much like his short-lived "When Things Were Rotten" TV series from the mid-1970s, but with the same low budget. Exact same problems exacerbated with Dracula: Dead & Loving It.

On balance, Mel Brooks is certainly a comedic genius. From his writing on the two Sid Caesar shows in the 1950s to the 2,000-Year-Old Man and "Get Smart" to his first handful of movies - a few of which are bonafide, timeless classics - then later conquering Broadway plus his general wit on talk shows and such he is absolutely genius level. That he diversified his producing portfolio to include the likes of David Lynch's The Elephant Man, Cronenberg's The Fly, Graeme Clifford's Frances, David Hugh Jones' 84 Charing Cross Road, and Richard Benjamin's My Favorite Year shows what kind of depth and taste he had beneath his comedic persona. And he got to be married to Anne Bancroft. But having said all of that, the quality of his film output definitely petered out.

Reply to Topic