What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

I went and found this edition on eBay because it’s the one I grew up watching, and I hate the changes they made for the 2010 reissue.

EDIT: fantastic. The disc is bad. Waited all week for a dud

Just asking for clarification since I haven't watched this in over 20 years (so, I guess that was actually the VHS version now that I think about it), when you say, "changes," are you referring to the English language version or did they also make changes to the Japanese language version?
(Or even the animation)

You ready? You look ready.
Just asking for clarification since I haven't watched this in over 20 years (so, I guess that was actually the VHS version now that I think about it), when you say, "changes," are you referring to the English language version or did they also make changes to the Japanese language version?
(Or even the animation)
It was just the English version that was changed. In the 2010 version they reverted the title and end credit songs to the original Japanese songs, and they removed right much of the instrumental music during the movie and a lot of extra dialogue from Kiki and Jiji.

It makes for a quieter and more contemplative film, so all in all the changes are minor. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

It was just the English version that was changed. In the 2010 version they reverted the title and end credit songs to the original Japanese songs, and they removed right much of the instrumental music during the movie and a lot of extra dialogue from Kiki and Jiji.

It makes for a quieter and more contemplative film, so all in all the changes are minor. But the heart wants what the heart wants.
I haven't watched it since college, and that was 20 years ago, but but bought a copy on iTunes during the pandemic with the hopes of eventually re-watching it. With that background, it's not surprising that my exposure was the Japanese language version, and I remember reading reviews of the English language dub complaining about the extra voice work, and changing the quieter music on her radio to peppier music, which given the emotional subjects of the movie didn't sound like minor things.

But if that's the version that you knew (grew up with?), I wouldn't begrudge someone trying to recapture that particular version (I remember there being a bit of an adage in the anime community being that between subs and dubs, the one you encounter first is the one you prefer. That rule never seemed to apply to me. But I have known others over the years who it applied to).

I've not watched any of the re-released version of Eva since it's hit Netflix (mainly because I haven't activated my subscription in a while), but I think I heard they changed the ending credit theme music. If I do, I think it'll end up bothering me more than it should - granted, it's Netflix, so trying to find the damn setting so it doesn't skip the end credits would irritate me as well (I might not want to watch the full end credits all the time, Netflix, but I don't want to skip them completely every single time either).

Got some new used movies today. I picked up Do The Right Thing Criterion blu ray, Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies blu ray and Classic Musicals volume 2 dvd box set.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Valuable addition to every collection. Helen Mirren gives one of the top acting performances for the 2000's.
I have it in my DVD collection too.

Valuable addition to every collection. Helen Mirren gives one of the top acting performances for the 2000's.
I have it in my DVD collection too.
Found it at Walmart yesterday for a few dollars. 😎🇬🇧

loved Chicago!!! one of the good movies!!
I’ve seen it when it 1st came out, but don’t remember a single scene. Should be good.

Today I got:

The Batman blu ray
X blu ray
Wild Things Arrow limited edition blu ray
Film noir 10 movie spotlight dvd collection

It's a discount set, 10 noir films, including such heavies as The Stranger, DOA, Whirlpool and The Port of New York, which starred Yul Brynner with hair. The Stranger has Orson Welles as a sinister character who meets a unique end when he runs out of time.

I just got a noir-heavy Criterion BluRay order in today: Double Indemnity, Pickup on South Street, The Hit and then a blind-bought I Wanna Hold Your Hand (I’m working through my unseen Zemeckis movies and this is apparently unavailable to stream). Slowly but surely I’m building up stock for Noirvember.