Director's Cut of Jaws?

Tools    

Is there a director's cut of Jaws? I have a Jaws DVD with a deleted scenes section, and as I watched bits and pieces of Jaws on TNT yesterday and today, I noticed the version they played had some of the deleted scenes. Was that a director's cut or something? Anyone?

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Never heard of a Directors Cut , but my fav deleted scene is definately the one where Robert Shaw is taking the piss out of that young lad playing the Flute ...Definately should have kept that one in the original cut.

That scene was in the movie when aired on TNT today and yesterday. That look he gives at the very end of the scene as he abruptly stops singing is awesome.

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Well, if that scene was in the actual movie...that`s definately a version I`ve never seen before.
You`ve stumbled onto something there Firegod...e-mail Speilberg...see if he can enlighten you.

There are quite a few TV-versions of films, especially from the '70s, that have different scenes in them. This generally happens with R-rated stuff or harder PGs (no PG-13 back then), where some scenes had to be trimmed or deleted. To get the running time back up, alternate scenes were re-inserted, scenes that weren't in the theatrical prints.

For example, the old TV prints of Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles have no fewer than four completely new scenes. Airplane! has around five new bits. These are things from the cutting room floor, the kind of stuff that today would be included as DVD supplements. In generations past, the studio - not the director, would hang onto them for the television print.

And sometimes the extras had nothing to do with censorship and running time, but were there to make the TV brodcast more appealing, to give fans a reason to tune in. Superman: the Movie was maybe the biggest example of this. When ABC ran it in '81 (remember, still a couple years away from VCRs and home rentals hitting their mainstream stride) they made a big deal about new scenes being included. These scenes are now all available on the DVD - some reinserted into the movie itself, but in '81 this was prety cool stuff.

So, it happens.

But to answer your original question, no, these are not "director's cuts". The directors have nothing to do with such TV additions.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I should have figured that's all it was. I've seen extra scenes in television versions of 48 Hours as well. Probably quite a bit of censorship time to replace on that one.

Technically there is but it’s not called a directors cut. There is a 25th Anniversary DVD. This is the same as a directors cut. Has scenes not in the original and longer versions of scenes that tell a greater story. This version is so much better then the original.