R.I.P. Alain Resnais (1922-2014)

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Alain Resnais, one of the most prominent and important French filmmakers over the last fifty years, has died at age 91.

Here is the report confirming his death.

This is very sad news. Resnais is known for many films, some of them being the ambitious documentary on the horrors of the Holocaust Night and Fog, Hiroshima mon amour, Last Year at Marienbad, Muriel and Je t'aime, je t'aime. He played an imperative role in the French New Wave movement, and his work in the 50s and 60s broke the very conventions of storytelling and pushed the boundaries of where a film can go and how it can be told.

A young Resnais on set.

Last Year at Marienbad, which, is my opinion is his most recognisable film.

Hiroshima mon amour - his debut feature and one of his most acclaimed.

Night and Fog - one of the first documentaries to deal with the Holocaust

Je t'aime je t'aime - his science fiction film.

Muriel - his third feature film that seemed to encapsulate what Resnais was all about.

His latest film, Life of Riley, was released only this year. An amazing accomplishment to still shoot a feature film at 91 years of age. Still, he will perhaps be most recognised and remembered for his seminal work in the 50s and 60s, arguably at the peak of the French New Wave movement and an incremental contributor to it. His films generally pushed the boundaries and even bended storytelling conventions, and for that, he will be remembered. In my opinion, one of the most overlooked French filmmakers, right up there with Louis Malle.

Rest in Peace

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Obviously it's not a shock, but if it's a reason for others to explore/discover him, so be it. I tried to share The Cinema of Alain Resnais while he was still with us. Please share more about the man and his movies.

R.I.P.

I must confess, I had never heard of him. I just looked him up and it seems he had some important things to say. I'll see what I can of his work. Thanks.

RIP

I might have seen Night and Fog, but I know I've seen Last Year at Marienbad, and I love it. RIP.

I've been meaning to explore this mans filmography more, Night & Fog is an absolutely devastating documentary. Last Year at Marienbad is a film I know that I could fall in love with. This is sad news but at least he lived a long fulfilling life.

R.I.P.

Very sad news. Last Year at Marienbad is one of my favorite films of all time, really a daring piece of work that pushed the conventions of cinema perhaps farther than they had ever gone and the quintessential European Art Movie of the '60s, in my opinion. RIP.

NOOOO Why not Godard? Wild Grass was really cool, I was hoping he had another one in him.

A bit unnecessary.

Very sad news to hear R.I.P
But his legacy lives on through his super films

It's a great lost for the world of cinema. I've seen Hiroshima Mon Amour and I was really impressed, Reposez en paix monsieur Resnais

Must be doin sumthin right
I did a crazy double feature of Wild Grass + You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet! last night. Basically if I'm lucky enough to live that long I hope I'm even half as cool at 90 yrs old as this guy was.