The Golden Age of Japanese Cinema

Tools    

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
There have been numerous 'epochs' in cinema, so to speak, but I feel as if there has been none more complete and personally rewarding as the Golden Age of Japanese Cinema. The general consensus is that the 'golden' period lasted no more than thirty years, approximately from the mid 1940s (post-WWII Japan) up until the mid-to-late 1960s. It is staggering how many great films came from this period.

Firstly, you had a bunch of Yasujiro Ozu films, including two of my all-time favourite masterworks, Late Spring and Tokyo Story. These films are timeless and human observations into the postwar institution of marriage and family, and how the former, in particular, can be seen as a social constraint, designed to reinstill male hegemony after a losing war. They also seemed to place great emphasis on the role of independent women, something that was not too particularly prevalent in cinema at the time.

Late Spring (1949)

Secondly, this age arguably marked the greatest period in Akira Kurosawa's prolific career, with films such as Rashomon that proved to be the first internationally recognised and popular Japanese piece in the West. We also got Ikiru, High and Low, The Bad Sleep Well, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood etc, etc. Best of all, Kurosawa was forking out films left, right, and centre. He was on a roll.

Rashomon (1950)

Then along came Mizoguchi with his three notable tales - Sansho the Bailiff, The Life of Oharu, and Ugetsu. His films really seemed to adopt a sweepingly poetic aesthetic that we did not always necessarily see in Ozu or Kurosawa films. Even more amazingly, these films were all released within a time span of 4 years. Like Kurosawa, he, too, was on a roll, if only for a short amount of time.

Sansho the Bailiff (1954)

We also saw the birth of iconic classics such as Godzilla, which was a critical and commercial success not only in Japan but eventually around the world. Moreover, along came the radical Masaki Kobayashi, who defied the status-quo and made constantly daring films, such as the Human Condition trilogy (which is nine and a half hours in its entirety).

Godzilla (1954)

But wait, there's more. Kon Ichikawa gave us Fires on the Plain, a harrowing anti-war film and one of the best that showed the complete disarray of WWII from a Japanese perspective. He also gifted us with the poetical The Burmese Harp. Mikio Naruse made Floating Clouds, and, towards the end of the Golden Age period, we also saw the growing presence of Seijun Suzuki and Shohei Imamura.

Fires on the Plain (1959)

And perhaps best of all, there are a ton of other films and filmmakers from this great period too. So many I have yet to see and probably never heard of. So many that are only recently getting the restorations and distributions they deserve. What are your favourite films and/or filmmakers from this period? Do you have any recommendations? Any comments in general? I just love this particular time period in Japanese cinema and would love to hear your two cents on anything related to it. Sorry for rambling, but the sheer amount of greatness that was derived from such a relatively small time is truly something in my eyes.

I'll just mention two directors you left out and someone else can follow suit from my leaving out of someone awesome, but Kobayashi and Teshigahara are probably my favorites. Kobayashi is rather well known for The Human Condition, a 3-part series about a working man within the corrupt military establishment, super critical of war and contemporary social norms simply by exposing them, which is I suppose the goal of exploitation. He's also made Hara-Kiri, recently remade poorly by Miike, but the original is almost a black comedy on honor, pretty intense and I imagine risky in it's time given the state of the government. Both films work well together as a sort of feudal "Rhinoceros" where one man has to overcome a corrupt society. His third well-known film is probably Kwaidan, a collection of 4 japanese ghost folktales, I wouldn't know what to say about it other than it probably paved the way for Kuroneko's dreamlike quality, because even with the runtime it's hard to not be allured.

Teshigahara is another beast, most known for his collaboration with Kobo Abe, the famous japanese playwright, in making Pitfall, Woman in the Dunes and The Face of Another (and Man without a Map, although that's much harder to find). Pitfall is easily the most underrated of the few, I did a wee little analysis here. The other two are what feels like moving picture philosophy, best experienced than described. Linespalsy could discuss this one better than me I think.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'll respond in full later when I'm done with class, but a quick correction: Naruse directed Floating Clouds not Floating Weeds, which is an Ozu film.

I love this period of Japanese film too. All the great classics you mention which should be starters for anyone wanting to explore that era

I have some favourites too amongst the later films of Imamura made in the 80s and 90s - Black Rain set in the aftermath of Hiroshima. Vengeance is Mine, The Ballad of Narayama - really touching that one is, and The Eel

I have a soft spot for the films of Yamada Yoji who's had an amazingly long film career, making films from 1960 to the present day. He has made the long running series of films starring the character Tora-San, but besides those films he's made some really endearing films dealing with emotional attachments within families. Films like My Sons, A Distant Cry from Spring, Home from the Sea during the 70s and 80s, then made three great films on the run from 2002-08 0 Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade and Love and Honour.

Sorry that's going out of the era you posted about but some of these directors have such long careers!

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I'll just mention two directors you left out and someone else can follow suit from my leaving out of someone awesome, but Kobayashi and Teshigahara are probably my favorites. Kobayashi is rather well known for The Human Condition, a 3-part series about a working man within the corrupt military establishment, super critical of war and contemporary social norms simply by exposing them, which is I suppose the goal of exploitation. He's also made Hara-Kiri, recently remade poorly by Miike, but the original is almost a black comedy on honor, pretty intense and I imagine risky in it's time given the state of the government. Both films work well together as a sort of feudal "Rhinoceros" where one man has to overcome a corrupt society. His third well-known film is probably Kwaidan, a collection of 4 japanese ghost folktales, I wouldn't know what to say about it other than it probably paved the way for Kuroneko's dreamlike quality, because even with the runtime it's hard to not be allured.

Teshigahara is another beast, most known for his collaboration with Kobo Abe, the famous japanese playwright, in making Pitfall, Woman in the Dunes and The Face of Another (and Man without a Map, although that's much harder to find). Pitfall is easily the most underrated of the few, I did a wee little analysis here. The other two are what feels like moving picture philosophy, best experienced than described. Linespalsy could discuss this one better than me I think.
Great call on Teshigahara. It was only recently I viewed both Pitfall and The Women in the Dunes. The latter being a brilliant exhibition of existential filmmaking. Kobayashi is one of the few highly acclaimed filmmakers I have yet to explore purely because of accessibility reasons in the past, but that is going to change very soon. As I quickly scattered over in my OP, the Human Condition trilogy is over nine hours long, with each installment being three hours or more, so I'm hoping I'll eventually find the time for that.

Very interesting analysis in regards to Teshigahara's debut. As you may recall, I never liked it too much, as I felt it was merely a murder mystery masquerading as something deeper. Nonetheless, it was aesthetically pleasing, particularly for a directorial debut.

I'll respond in full later when I'm done with class, but a quick correction: Naruse directed Floating Clouds not Floating Weeds, which is an Ozu film.
You're right. I am always getting those two confused.

I love this period of Japanese film too. All the great classics you mention which should be starters for anyone wanting to explore that era

I have some favourites too amongst the later films of Imamura made in the 80s and 90s - Black Rain set in the aftermath of Hiroshima. Vengeance is Mine, The Ballad of Narayama - really touching that one is, and The Eel

I have a soft spot for the films of Yamada Yoji who's had an amazingly long film career, making films from 1960 to the present day. He has made the long running series of films starring the character Tora-San, but besides those films he's made some really endearing films dealing with emotional attachments within families. Films like My Sons, A Distant Cry from Spring, Home from the Sea during the 70s and 80s, then made three great films on the run from 2002-08 0 Twilight Samurai, Hidden Blade and Love and Honour.

Sorry that's going out of the era you posted about but some of these directors have such long careers!
Twilight Samurai is an excellent film, so thanks for bringing up Yoji. You're right in the sense that he has had quite the sweeping and prolific career. Strangely enough, though, he doesn't get mentioned all too often when discussing the Japanese greats. Well, not from what I've seen.

Talking about post-Golden Age greats, Kitano and Miike are pretty cool too, and I really must get to more of Imamura's works.

One of my favourite periods as well - and I still have so much more to see ...

Now, because I'll take any opportunity to make a list:

1. Late Spring (1949) - Yasujiro Ozu

2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961) - Masaki Kobayashi

3. Early Summer (1951) - Yasujiro Ozu

4. Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - Kenji Mizoguchi

5. Tokyo Story (1953) - Yasujiro Ozu

6. The Face of Another (1966) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
-
7. Woman in the Dunes (1964) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
-
8. Floating Weeds (1959) - Yasujiro Ozu
+
9. The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959) - Masaki Kobayashi
+
10. Seven Samurai (1954) - Akira Kurosawa
+

Strangely Kurosawa is the director I've had most trouble really connecting with. I like his films but don't really love any of them.

Japanese live action cinema was at it's peak from the 1940's through the 1960's. After that period TV and manga grew and while cinema declined: tickets sold declined from 1.2 billion in 1958 to 250 million in 1970, with the economic contraction of film, most talent went to other industries (Kurosawa complained in 1990, for instance, that all the young talented people were working in animation) and today Japanese live action cinema is greatly inferior to Hollywood in terms of output, though it has some notable names like Kitano, it's nothing compared to it's golden age, when it's output was similar to the US's in quantity and in number of masterpieces.

Today, live action film in Japan is still alive and it is still a significant part of the country's cultural production but it is not as important as the US film industry or it's golden age film industry while other media has become more important, for instance the Japanese manga/anime industry is about 15 times larger than the live action film industry. Live action TV is also more important than film in Japanese popular culture today.

The reason? In Japan movie tickets are much more expensive than in the US, thanks to high population density and hence high real state prices, so people choose instead to watch stuff on TV, it's much cheaper and practical. For instance, revenues of sales of niche direct to video animation were bigger than domestic live action film grosses during the 1990's, for instance. While the most important Japanese director since the 1960's (Miyazaki) is an offshoot from the TV industry.

One of my favourite periods as well - and I still have so much more to see ...

Now, because I'll take any opportunity to make a list:

1. Late Spring (1949) - Yasujiro Ozu

2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961) - Masaki Kobayashi

3. Early Summer (1951) - Yasujiro Ozu

4. Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - Kenji Mizoguchi

5. Tokyo Story (1953) - Yasujiro Ozu

6. The Face of Another (1966) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
-
7. Woman in the Dunes (1964) - Hiroshi Teshigahara
-
8. Floating Weeds (1959) - Yasujiro Ozu
+
9. The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959) - Masaki Kobayashi
+
10. Seven Samurai (1954) - Akira Kurosawa
+

Strangely Kurosawa is the director I've had most trouble really connecting with. I like his films but don't really love any of them.
All great movies there.

My top 10 list is not very different:

1 - Ikiru
2 - Tokyo Story
3 - Ugetsu
4 - Late Spring
5 - Seven Samurai
6 - The Human Condition trilogy
7 - Rashomon
8 - Dersu Uzala (not sure if this 1970's Kurosawa film counts but I think it's a masterpiece)
9 - Sansho
10 - An Autumn Afternoon

All rate over 90/100, all on my top 100 favorites. My favorite live action Japanese films from the 1975 forward are much weaker, nothing on top 100 and only two on top 200.

I love the golden age of Japanese cinema. Kurosawa being not only my favorite of the time period, but one of my all time favorite directors. Seven Samurai is my favorite film Kurosawa did and a top ten personal favorite, but I love the films I have seen from him as a whole. Very few times have I rated a film of his below a
or a
. And I have seen around 20 of his movies so far.

Yasujiro Ozu is my second favorite of the time period. I have not seen nearly as many (2), but Tokyo Story is my clear favorite (also one of my top 50 favorite movies).

Kenji Mizoguchi I have only seen two of his movies as well, but they were both excellent with Sansho the Baliff being a masterpiece.

Old enough though my first taste of this time period came when I was five when I saw the original black and white Godzilla movie, and was raised on the subsequent sequels that followed.