Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

The fortunes of Hollywood - tonight's movie is Tarantula, a 1950's classic "big bug" movie. In this case a big spider terrorizes the usual isolated dusty western town. I recall being a kid and finding a printed ad for this at our local theater. I went and it scared the crap out of me.

It stars John Agar, a star whose career was derailed when his marriage to none other than Shirley Temple ended. He found himself consigned to big bug movies after that. It co-stars Leo G Carroll, a dignified British actor who also found himself in big-bug movies. This one also has a big guinea pig, but the big spider is much more scary.

As a sideline, it also features a short, early appearence of Clint Eastwood as a pilot in an Air Force plane that shoots the big spider.
Great suggestion! I watched it again last night. Like you, I saw it when it came out. My grade school buddy and I always went to every '50s horror movie. Another good one with John Agar is The Mole People (1956).

I've seen Tarantula again since the '50s, but I love the way they put those stories together. Them! was good too, but in Tarantula the technical guys made the tarantula scenes life like and believable-- moreso than the ants in Them!.

Agar's problem was booze. He had great supporting roles in a few John Wayne movies, notably She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Sands of Iwo Jima, both in 1949; but after getting DUIs and some jail time, the big studios dropped him.

Wasn't Mara Corday, who played Carroll's lab assistant, a knock out? One of her many credits was as Playmate of October, '58 in Playboy Magazine. What a dish!

Great suggestion! I watched it again last night. Like you, I saw it when it came out. My grade school buddy and I always went to every '50s horror movie. Another good one with John Agar is The Mole People (1956).

I've seen Tarantula again since the '50s, but I love the way they put those stories together. Them! was good too, but in Tarantula the technical guys made the tarantula scenes life like and believable-- moreso than the ants in Them!.

Agar's problem was booze. He had great supporting roles in a few John Wayne movies, notably She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, and Sands of Iwo Jima, both in 1949; but after getting DUIs and some jail time, the big studios dropped him.

Wasn't Mara Corday, who played Carroll's lab assistant, a knock out? One of her many credits was as Playmate of October, '58 in Playboy Magazine. What a dish!
I'll have to recheck The Mole People, have it on a disk set. As for Them! it's somewhat of a classic outside the world of old monster movies, being one that actually has credible acting, not to mention the little girl who screams THEM! and gave the movie its title. I have to wonder just what they did to that girl to get that blood curdling scream out of her.

And yeah, Mara Corday was quite a looker. If you need more detail on that, Google Images can inform you.

I found a ear.
Lets take a look, yes that's a human ear all right.

Ever notice kyle maclachlan is wearing a ear ring through the whole movie

Swingers, and then maybe Mikey and Nicky- hopefully will be good.

Next time , be more specific.
I actually read this book. It was a language therapy book about the doctor who taught this girl how to speak after never really having human contact.

The book, which was extremely sad and very good.

While I tend to plan what I want to watch out well in advance, my spouse is absolutely the opposite: picking things mostly on the fly and even then oftentimes changing her mind right up until the last minute.

That being said, the smart money is on them picking out The Northman tonight. They picked it out last night after the baby went down, but last minute switched it to The Sadness. Iíd be shocked if they didnít go back and pick The Northman for tonight, now.

Thatíd suit me just fine, being the case. Iíve been pretty desperate to see it since it first came out and donít really get to pick out movies for us to see all that often (pretty much just when Iím home alone with the baby which is understandably ratherÖ limiting). So hereís to hoping!

Wish me luck everyone...

⬆️ Never heard of it. Maybe reviews out this weekend.