Murphy Brown Reboot

Tools    

I have to confess that when I first heard they were rebooting this show i really didn't think it would work, but the premiere episode was as funny and topical as the show was when it originally premiered in 1988. The writing was edgy and the expected swipes at our President worked for the most part. Candice Bergen wears the character that won her five Emmys back in the 1990's like a comfortable shoe. It was fun seeing Murphy trying to adjust to this new world of social media...the reveal that she still has a flip phone was absolutely hysterical. It was great to see Joe Regalbuto, Faith Ford, and Grant Shaud return to their roles as the gang moved from FYI to a cable news round table show. Jake McDorman was a charmer as Murphy's now grown son who has just been given his own show on the air opposite his mom. Robert Pastorelli was missed as Eldin and Tyne Daly was wasted as Phyllis, the sister of Phil (Pat Corley), who is now running Phil's bar, but the show worked surprisingly well and I will continue to watch.

I was out last night so missed it. Wasn't sure I wanted to watch this 'reboot' but your review @Gideon58 makes me want to take a look.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I only watched the original "Murphy Brown" sporadically in reruns, so I didn't have high expectations for this show, but I enjoyed it. I was starting to get upset that they didn't do any kind of tribute to Eldin, but they finally got around to it near the end of the episode. (I might even learn a little bit about Twitter if they keep explaining it to Murphy. )

Ep 2 started out pretty funny, but eventually started taking itself a little too seriously, I hope this is not a trend because the show was off to a good start.

It was lovely seeing Charles Kimbrough return as Jim Dial in last night's ep, but a little troubling too...Kimbrough's not a kid anymore, his speech seemed to be slurred and he seemed to have mobility issues as well. I'm wondering if it would have been nicer to just let Jim be allowed to continue sailing around the world as we had already been told in ep 1.

It was lovely seeing Charles Kimbrough return as Jim Dial in last night's ep, but a little troubling too...Kimbrough's not a kid anymore, his speech seemed to be slurred and he seemed to have mobility issues as well. I'm wondering if it would have been nicer to just let Jim be allowed to continue sailing around the world as we had already been told in ep 1.

I agree about Charles Kimbrough. He didn't look healthy in this episode.

Unfortunately this is one of the drawbacks of the reboots of old shows. Some of the actors that we haven't seen in a while don't look healthy, and it's sad seeing them like that. I'd prefer to remember them the way we saw them in the original show.

On a lighter note, I love the little competition going on between Murphy and her son Avery being in the same time slot and trying to best each other. I hope they continue this as a running joke.

Well, enjoy it while it lasts because I just read the show is gone at midseason.

There was a follow-up article that said that the show is not cancelled. They are just going on hiatus, but there's still no decision about a second season.

https://people.com/tv/murphy-brown-r...ure-uncertain/

Series creator Diane English tweeted, “Murphy Brown fans. We are NOT CANCELED!!!!! Several entertainment sites read a mid season schedule put out by CBS that did not have our show on it and the assumption was made that we were not renewed. Our order, at our request was 13 eps. We look forward to a second season.”

She later clarified in a follow-up tweet, “We will have to wait until spring to hear if we are renewed for another season of 13.”

I'm glad to hear that it's not cancelled because I think the show was really beginning to find its footing again...the last three episodes were excellent.