The Little Drummer Girl

Tools    

The Little Drummer Girl (2018)

Usually when doing a screen adaption of a novel, the task is how to get most of the key narrative from the book transferred to the film. In the case of "Drummer Girl", either there wasn't enough detail to feature in the film, or the story could have been better told in perhaps 4, rather than 6, hours. Put another way, despite some light plot twists and competent acting, this series was laborious.

Part of the problem was that the ending really wasn't ever in any doubt. So the presentation of LeCarre's story became the work horse. Not having read the novel it's unknown how faithful the screen play was to it. Presumably, capturing LeCarre's dark prose while keeping the plot interesting is tricky.

Casting Florence Pugh as "Charlie" --the main protagonist-- was a misfire. The pudgy Brit blonde was not believable enough as a determined double agent. And the set up of her being sought out from her profession as an actress to take on a highly dangerous clandestine spy gig was a stretch right from the git-go.

Alexander Skarsgard looked the part. But if he does indeed have some seasoned acting chops, his approach here was too wooden. Michael Shannon did a predictably good job (despite his erratic Israeli accent) as the spy squad leader. It's the kind of role Shannon could do in his sleep. Supposedly the trick with him is to not let him lapse into creepiness. But his role was of equal importance to Pugh's.

The Little Drummer Girl was very watchable, but incited no wonderment nor emotional involvement.

Doc's rating: 5.5 of 10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	154345124866542495.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	49919  

Saw the movie about 15 years ago, don't really remember a lot of it...was considering a re-watch before posting my favorite Diane Keaton performances.

Saw the movie about 15 years ago, don't really remember a lot of it...was considering a re-watch before posting my favorite Diane Keaton performances.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the 1984 George Roy Hill film with Diane Keaton and Klaus Kinski. Maybe I'll fire it up one of these days and compare the two. Something tells me that the '84 effort was better, although looking at the reviews, no one got too excited about that one either..

~Doc

This might just do nobody any good.
We had a thread for this and I did my usual thing of highly anticipating something for weeks prior to release and then forgetting about it and then being crudely reminded of it, this time when I saw this particular thread.

Thanks Gulf, sincerely. I will seek this out in whatever way I can.

We had a thread for this and I did my usual thing of highly anticipating something for weeks prior to release and then forgetting about it and then being crudely reminded of it, this time when I saw this particular thread.

Thanks Gulf, sincerely. I will seek this out in whatever way I can.
The anticipation for this series is certainly understandable, although I hadn't been aware of the build up. It sounds like a sure fire winner: le Carre, Chan-wook, Michael Shannon, what could go wrong? And in fact it may be that the critics too were irreversibly in love with the idea, as they often are.

I felt that, while watchable, it was ponderous and at times, lackluster. Others may have appreciated the approach. In this case IMO the sum was lesser than its parts..

I'd be curious as to your take after you've had the chance to watch it.

Cheers,
~Doc