A Song For October

Tools    

Round 6

1. Colter Wall - Cowpoke
(I'm always a sucker for steel guitars and harmonicas and the lonesome prairie images that their sound evokes. I also continue to be in awe of this dude's talent and youth. The unique timbre of his voice grows more impressive with each new release.)

2. Meg Myers - Desire
(I've nominated this in the past, so obviously I'm a fan. One of the hottest music videos I've ever seen. Myers is sexy as hell, but she also has an intensity that borders on possession. I've got my penis in one hand, crucifix in the other.)

3. Bob Dylan - Gotta Serve Somebody
(Interesting to see the Dylan haters respond favorably to this song. I guess the gospel background makes Dylan's voice more palatable?)

4. Black Wire - The Face
(Bit of a similar sound to the preceding Harvey Danger song; not as catchy, but heavier and fuzzier, which is what I appreciate more anyway.)

5. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Sick Child
(As usual with this group, I find myself wondering why I don't listen to them more often.)

6. Harvey Danger - Cream and Bastards Rise
(Has more of an edge to it than expected, skirting the line between snarky and bratty.)

7. The Oath - Night Child
(Now I understand why iTunes has been suggesting The Oath lately. Based on this small sample size, I prefer Lucifer, which leans more into the occult sound than what I'm hearing here. It was bugging me why this riff sounded so familiar until I saw ynwtf's Velvet Revolver comparison. Definitely has a softened "Slither" vibe.")

8. Radiohead - Karma Police
(I've never understood the massive hype around Radiohead, but I do like this song.)

9. George Strait - Last in Love
(Finally added Pure Country to my DVD queue, which I've been meaning to do forever. As I've said before when Strait has been nominated, his era of country just doesn't do a lot for me.)

10. Napoleon XIV - They're Coming to Take Me Away
(Annoying, unnerving and tastelessly amusing.)

11. Mick Smiley - Magic
(As one of the YT comments points out, this essentially feels like two songs in one. Unfortunately I don't particularly care for either one, with the first half sounding too much like an inferior version of "In the Air Tonight.")

12. Mission of Burma - That's When I Reach for My Revolver
(Not bad, just unremarkable, and this has been a strong round.)

Sadly no votes from jj this round but on we go.....

1st - Radiohead - Karma Police (98 pts)

2nd - Bob Dylan - Gotta Serve Somebody (91 pts)
3rd - Meg Myers - Desire (87 pts)
4th - Harvey Danger - Cream and Bastards Rise (82 pts)
5th - The Oath - Night Child (81 pts)
6th - Black Wire - The Face (76 pts)
7th - Siouxsie and the Banshees - Sick Child (74 pts)
8th - Mission Of Burma - That's When I Reach For My Revolver (69 pts)
9th - Colter Wall - Cowpoke (68 pts)
10th - George Strait - Last In Love (48 pts)
11th - Mick Smiley - Magic (43 pts)
12th - Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away (41 pts)

Grats to HollowMan on getting another tune through to the Final

Round seven up in a few mins...

Jj takes another breather, hopefully he'll be back again before long....

1. The Cranberries - Zombie
  2. Rose of the West - Roads
  3. Kajagoogoo - Too Shy
  4. David Bowie - Underground
  5. Legendary Shack Shakers - Blood on the Blue Grass
  6. Joy Askew - Little Darling
  7. Robert Plant - Big Log
  8. The Naked and Famous - I Kill Giants
  9. Tapio Rautavaara - On aivan sama
  10. Billy Joel - Pressure
  11. jiro inagaki & soul media - painted paradise

My R8 nom:
Megaherz - Zombieland

A system of cells interlinked
1 David Bowie - Underground - One of my favorite movies as a young teen, and Bowie is a legendary talent.

2 Robert Plant - Big Log - This song is all about that clean guitar tone... mesmerizing!

3 The Naked and Famous - I Kill Giants - My nom gets knocked down to third in this round. Such is life!

4 Rose of the West - Roads - Really liked this one! Will check out more of their stuff...

5 Billy Joel - Pressure - Not one of Joel's best, but still a great song with quite a bit of nostalgia attached for me.

6 The Cranberries - Zombie - Pretty good band.

7 jiro inagaki & soul media - painted paradise - Smooth and funky!

8 Kajagoogoo - Too Shy - Not one of my favorite 80s pop tunes...

9 Joy Askew - Little Darling - Better than the tracks I ranked below it, but not by much. Not my thing, I guess.

10 Legendary Shack Shakers - Blood on the Blue Grass - Not for me!

11 Tapio Rautavaara - On aivan sama - I couldn't get into this at all

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I spy someone trying to get back into the band..

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I spy someone trying to get back into the band..

Well, they could clearly do with getting a singer without such a pronounced stutter. Could easily get their version of Sussudio down to under ten minutes then.

A system of cells interlinked
Well, they could clearly do with getting a singer without such a pronounced stutter. Could easily get their version of Sussudio down to under ten minutes then.
It's quite typical for the bass player to mistake the lead guitarist for the singer, which is the case here. Perhaps it was my lightning fast licks, or maybe the fact that I wear assless chaps when I run the merch booth, but rest assured, no one slings an axe like me! Here is proof:

That said I do have good news! I have truncated Suszzudio down to 11 minutes long, as we have sacked the entire section that featured our bass player sitting in the middle of the stage in a canoe playing a kazoo. I think this change peps up the entire set quite a bit.

Hey, that reminds me of a joke: What is the definition of a bass player?

Someone that likes to hang out with musicians!

That said I do have good news! I have truncated Suszzudio down to 11 minutes long, as we have sacked the entire section that featured our bass player sitting in the middle of the stage in a canoe playing a kazoo. I think this change peps up the entire set quite a bit.
Excellent idea ...... time to take Sussudio into the Susstudio now then.

Nomination

Michael Jackson feat. Carlos Santana - "Whatever Happens"

This song is a totally hidden gem most people (even people who like Jackson!) have never heard. It's so good, and sounds so timeless, I was sure it was a cover, but no. One of the best tracks he put out after his peak.

It's quite typical for the bass player to mistake the lead guitarist for the singer, which is the case here. Perhaps it was my lightning fast licks, or maybe the fact that I wear assless chaps when I run the merch booth, but rest assured, no one slings an axe like me! Here is proof:

Hey, that reminds me of a joke: What is the definition of a bass player?

Someone that likes to hang out with musicians!
man. that had me cracking up. dude is funny lol.

Nomination

Michael Jackson feat. Carlos Santana - "Whatever Happens"

This song is a totally hidden gem most people (even people who like Jackson!) have never heard. It's so good, and sounds so timeless, I was sure it was a cover, but no. One of the best tracks he put out after his peak.
Man, you got to be startin' somethin'.

Strong round this time, I liked almost all the songs. Tough to put them in order but here we go...

1. Robert Plant
2. The Cranberries
3. David Bowie
4. Jiro Inagaki & Soul Media
5. Kajagoogoo
6. Joy Askew
7. Billy Joel
8. The Naked and Famous
9. Legendary Shack Shakers
10. Rose of the West
11. Tapio Rautavaara