The Promise

Tools    

I saw the trailer for this on YouTube. I am not 100% if I want to see this. Maybe if it focused more on the genocide and that horror then say a love triangle. The way the love triangle looks it starts to feel a bit more like Titanic or God forbid Pearl Harbor. That being said, I might still see this movie.

On a related note, I noticed that the majority of the trailers on YouTube that I watched for this movie had the comment section disabled. And on the videos where they still had comments posting was a combo of Turks saying the genocide never happened and others making snarky comments at the expense of The Young Turks Cenk Uygur (who has penned articles denying that it occurred). I haven't seen a comment section divulge into this level of flaming since the Ghostbusters remake. Though this one is not getting nearly the attention.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, I'm not feeling this. Checked the IMDb page and that rating is not encouraging.

Shame since Bale and Isaac are two of my favorites and I'd love to see them together in something worthwhile.

This might just do nobody any good.
Wow.

Well, the trailers still don't do much for me. I might end up checking it out when it's on Netflix or something.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Yeah pretty bd, isnt it. The rating system over there has always been deeply flawed.

I love Turkey and I've spoken to Turks who say this never happened, but I like historical dramas, the cinematography in the trailers looks lovely, and I think this will be the sort of movie that will move me to tearies, so I'll give it a go and report back.

Very good film.

8/10

A tremendously powerful and utterly tragic depiction of the disheartening true life events surrounding the staggering attempt to exterminate Armenian Christians before and during WWI. Profound sadness and disbelief linger throughout the film because of the cruel and evil practices on display. Regretfully, until this movie I really had no idea these events even occurred. One and a half million Armenians wiped out. Cultist muslim butchery and evil should be combated and moved to be exposed in any era. This film takes on that responsibility in a truly heartfelt and moving manner. Nothing is easy to watch as waves of tragedy assaults the senses. Hope is conveyed but when certain characters meet their demise it truly delivers shock, dismay and disgust. The filmmakers forgo subtlety and complexity yet they deliver revolt and true emotion and do a remarkable job of telling this sad yet heroic struggle. One point off for never using the word “muslim” and playing it too generic in that regard.

I didn't know any of what this movie portrays until after I'd decided to buck the low IMDb ratings (which I later learned was political ballot stuffing mostly by pro-Turk genocide deniers) and go see it. I'm a fan of both Oscar Issac and Christian Bale, and a sucker for historical fiction-drama anyway, and came away from it impressed with the powerful story it told, especially the last third of the movie. I'd thought it was mostly about a love triangle, and the three main characters are fiction, but the background story is not, and as History vs. hollywood reveals, it's a story that's been suppressed for almost a hundred years. Armenians have been on the periphery of my historical awareness for most of my life, until recently, and this really hit hard. R/T critics rate it as 48% due to the same IMDb processes I presume--but R/T's audiences likes it by 95%. I'll say no more except to recommend that you read about it and go see it. 9/10