NETFLIX MAY BE CRUSHED in 175 days...

Tools    

DVD delivery is down, but I think that's partly because their streaming is so much fuller. We used to do DVDs ... until their streaming became robust enough that we ditched the DVD portion. I completely forgot they even still HAD a DVD service.
I just went on a internet search for Netflix DVD numbers. According to a couple different articles there's 3 million DVD in the mail subscribers in 2019 and it's said to be Netflix's most profitable branch. That surprised me.

Story Link
The only reason that the DVD service has remained around as long as it has, is that it’s actually the most profitable-per-customer branch of Netflix’s service. The remaining 3 million DVD.com subscribers together contributed close to $53 million to Netflix’s profits during its last quarter, which equals out to $17.66 in profit per member, per quarter. Netflix has refined DVD.com since its inception to be even more smooth and profitable, although it’s no secret how, as any subscriber could tell you—they’ve eliminated vast chunks of their former DVD collection.
According to Variety, the DVD arm of Netflix’s operation continues to hemorrhage customers each year, at the rate of 190,000 every quarter in the last two years. At that rate, the service would be down to under 2 million by the end of 2019, and entirely out of customers by 2022, suggesting that Netflix would have no reason to keep the service going. One has to wonder who the subscribers are who are only now canceling their DVD accounts—seniors, perhaps?

Don't they own more than that? @The Rodent has talked about that before. I though he said they had something like 60%? They do make the movies that people see and make money so they have much more clout than an independent film maker would.

I'm hoping cable's hold is broken, so that TCM could offer it's own monthly streaming service.

Yeah it's about 60% of the entire entertainment business (movies, music, TV) is owned solely by Disney.
They've monopolised television in Asia as well.

Thing is though, the other 40%, they have small stakes in some of that as well through the fact that studios team up with each other and so on, and Disney has stakes in some of those smaller studios.
You could say that they own 60%, but they have stakes in around 80%-90% of the entire entertainment business.

Don't they own more than that? @The Rodent has talked about that before. I though he said they had something like 60%? They do make the movies that people see and make money so they have much more clout than an independent film maker would.

I'm hoping cable's hold is broken, so that TCM could offer it's own monthly streaming service.
That could be, CR. "One-third" was just a rough estimate.

I'm hoping the same thing that you are re TCM, or something even more.

That could be, CR. "One-third" was just a rough estimate.

I'm hoping the same thing that you are re TCM, or something even more.
This is weird, or maybe it's prophetic...but yesterday when I logged into my Netflix account which I've had for years, it had this new page that asked me to choose my Netflix plan. Of course I already have one, so I knew it was a Netflix inflicted commercial. The really lame thing was I was trapped on the page with no option to go to my account or the main Netflix site. So I thought I had to re-confirm my account choice, which I started to do. Then on the next page it said something about having a free 30 day trail before I was billed. That's all BS. So I backed out of that page and in a very roundabout manner I was finally able to get to the main Netflix site. They must be hurting financially thanks to Disney leaving. Can't say that I feel sorry for them.

I don't have a Netflix account... but if I did... and I'd spent hundreds over the years... I'd be royally pissed off right about now.

So basically, all of this harkens back to my previous posts in another thread...
I'll never go online for movies. Bad picture and sound quality... and all you're doing with the money you spend is cross your fingers and pray that the provider doesn't just disappear in a poof of smoke and takes all your cash with it.
How online downloading and streaming, after forking out hundreds of pounds/dollars to end up with absolutely nothing to show for your cash, is completely and utterly a waste of time and money...

... and that actually having a hardcopy, a DVD, is the only way to go

I keep saying it, but nobody listens to me.

I love watching DVDs for the reasons you just gave, +they have added extra features on them that aren't included with streaming. I just personally can't afford to buy DVDs, nor do I have the room to store them, and I don't usually like rewatching films, so I never buy them.

Ah, I'm a repeat viewer with movies.
Still though, I think if I was a watch-once kinda person, I'd still rather spend a couple notes and know that my cash has given me the movie forever.

DVDs are pretty cheap these days tbh.
The other day I got hold of M:I: Fallout, Creed 2, The Departed, Zodiac, Glass, The Cloverfield Paradox and Annihilation for less than £30.

Edit: And Tropic Thunder with all those too. Still less than £30.

Netflix's stocks have been spiraling downwards for some time now, largely due to Amazon and the looming threat of Disney.

Netflix was going to increase its subscription amount, and yet was not expected to see it reducing a substantial amount of its massive debts in return, let alone make profits.

It even made some crazy purchases like throwing 100mil on the famous series Friends.

It's important for Netflix to capture markets like India. Hence, it hastily greenlighted a ton of regional language series and movies. Though very few have returned as real successes. Example: Sacred Games.

In fast emerging markets like India it still has to compete against giants like Amazon, which are diverse as in used for shopping and entertainment and Youtube, where most things are free. Amazon has its own successful series and movies, and also makes revenue from traditional releases. Plus there are several local streaming sites like Hotstar, Eros, etc with their own content and loyal following.

I am neither a business person or a film marketing/production expert. But from these facts, it's clear to see that Netflix will become irrelevant eventually. I do not understand their strange business plans, like throwing cash on average products. It almost feels like they are more interested in quantity over quality. When funnily Netflix has always been identified with path breaking stuff and therefore could actually do better if it concentrates on quality and select few shows and movies.

There is a substantial audience that wants series and movies that push the envelope. Stick to that and be the alternate option rather than being obsessed with becoming the number one, when it simply doesn't have the resources to take on Amazon or Disney.

There is a substantial audience that wants series and movies that push the envelope. Stick to that and be the alternate option rather than being obsessed with becoming the number one, when it simply doesn't have the resources to take on Amazon or Disney.
Good points, WM. Netflix will likely have to find a niche market to justify their monthly subscription cost vs. Disney+. I hope that includes classic films, but it may not. If they can keep a strong subscribership, and lower the monthly fee, then they can gradually pay down their massive debt. They won't be able to keep on as they have been doing. They may even face a Chapter 11 bankruptcy/reorganization..... or worse.

DVD delivery is down, but I think that's partly because their streaming is so much fuller. We used to do DVDs ... until their streaming became robust enough that we ditched the DVD portion. I completely forgot they even still HAD a DVD service.
Funny how we all differ. My experience, as I’ve said many times, is the opposite. 180+ movies in my Q & very very few of them are available for streaming. I never cancel my dvd plan, but I go in & out of the streaming plan.

actually having a hardcopy, a DVD, is the only way to go I keep saying it, but nobody listens to me.
I’m listening & I feel the same way. I like streaming very much, but I adore my dvd collection. There’s nothing I like better than buying DVDs.

DVDs are pretty cheap these days tbh.
New releases are very expensive, Criterion is very expensive, but it’s possible to find bargains in DVDs.

Well my Netflix DVD of The Favorite arrived...and it was broke! It had been cracked right through the disc. It figures.
That can happen. It’s not the fault of Netflix (other than the wear & tear on the dvd), but, rather, the fault of the mail delivery. Netflix immediately sends a replacement. BTW, I thought The Favourite was a really daft movie.

@Citizen Rules, came across this at the weekend. Sums up EXACTLY why I have the dvd Netflix plan.

“Why do people still use the Netflix DVD-by-mail option?
While 2.7 million subscribers are a far cry from Netflix's nearly 140 million streaming subscribers, that's still a surprising number of people who are willing to wait for a DVD to arrive by mail. But there are a few benefits to the service.*

First, there are nearly 100,000 DVD options, versus about 6,000 TV shows and films available on Netflix's streaming service. Second, new releases are typically available on DVD quicker than by streaming; a lot of times, new titles don't ever make it to the streaming site, hence the more limited options.”

I swear several time recently I've gotten a new movie release from Netflix DVD and then a week later I walk into my library and they have that movie in their First Come First Served section for new releases that can't be reserved, you just got to show up and grab them in person.

We go back and forth with different streaming services. We share accounts with other family members and we all pitch in for the extra to have it on multiple devices. It works out really well for us and although I personally love Netflix streaming service if it goes away I wont be heartbroken. There will always be a way to stream or watch shows.

Our portion of the monthly cost as a family that shares is around $12.00. this includes:

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
HBO Go

Probably will be adding Disney and maybe dropping Hulu, but who knows might keep them both.

I used to love the DVD mail service, but for me it is outdated - not saying there is anything wrong with it and if you love it more power to you, it is a great option.

I hope they (Netflix) make an adjustment to their business model, they have a substantial customer base and should do something to capitalize on that and very soon.

Our portion of the monthly cost as a family that shares is around $12.00. this includes:

Netflix
Hulu
Amazon
HBO Go

I don’t have a single streaming service that I continuously subscribe to. I go in & out of all of them. The Handmaid’s Tale is returning so I will renew hulu, but only for that show. HBO I am out at the moment, but might renew for Chernobyl. The great thing about all these services is that you can subscribe for a single month if you want to. Or even have a free trial month & then not subscribe.

Well my Netflix DVD of The Favorite arrived...and it was broke! It had been cracked right through the disc. It figures.
Yeah, that's the chief reason we dropped the service. About every 4th disc was either cracked or scratched. They give you credit of course, but by then you've got a week+ added to the wait. They used these silly little paper envelopes; whereas RedBox uses stiff plastic.

The other tendency was for them to "slow down" your deliveries, so that you really weren't getting the full contracted service.

Having said that, I still would prefer watching movies on DVD, but I was unhappy with Netflix's mail service.

~Doc

Yeah, that's the chief reason we dropped the service. About every 4th disc was either cracked or scratched. They give you credit of course, but by then you've got a week+ added to the wait. They used these silly little paper envelopes; whereas RedBox uses stiff plastic.

The other tendency was for them to "slow down" your deliveries, so that you really weren't getting the full contracted service.

Having said that, I still would prefer watching movies on DVD, but I was unhappy with Netflix's mail service.

~Doc
Broken DVDs haven't been a problem for me. I just checked and I've received 561 movies on DVD since signing up and this is only the third time it's happened.

Ive not had DVD movie sent or option. I do the online streaming part. There is so many good Paramount , Sony and Universal TV shows and Movies netflix should option for. And because Disney Plus is taking all disney. Just means Netfix is likely get good deals on rival companies left against Disney.

They used these silly little paper envelopes; whereas RedBox uses stiff plastic.

True, but Red Box doesn’t mail DVDs. It’s an entirely different business model.

I too often suspect Netflix of slowing down the deliveries. I have the 2 at a time plan. They emailed me yesterday that one of my new ones was mailed out. Thought I would get it today. Didn’t.

@Citizen Rules, I’ve had 1195 movies out in the 10 years since I joined Netflix.

A bucket of anxiety
Netflix should focus on originals and acquiring indie/foreign film and TV shows. If they had content that would otherwise be difficult to come by they could stay well above water. It's what drew people to their service in the first place.
They only pick up ideas from people they already have some kind of connection with.