Nope's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille
MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME
(1985, George Miller)

I can proudly saw that Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome goes up there with Back to the Future 3 and Spiderman 3 for being one of the most disappointing movies of all time. Notice a pattern? Not only was this a weak and pathetic end to an incredible trilogy, (now quadrilogy) but it was an offense to the Mad Max name.

"What's the big deal about Mad Max?" I'm going to tell you. The original Mad Max was one of the heavy hitters in the Australian New Wave (something I'm not going to go much detail into, but you can research it on your own if you want), and it's sequel, The Road Warrior, is arguably the greatest action movie of all time. Many directors such as Guillermo del Torro, David Fincher, James Cameron, and Robert Rodriguez, have all said that The Road Warrior has been an inspiration in their work. This entire legacy was completely sh*t on by Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

The worst thing about Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome is it's lack of action. There is only about 10 minutes of car driving in the entire film, and it is saved until the very end. I will admit that the fight between Max and Blaster was entertaining, but that was just about it. Max's main allies in the film is the Lost Tribe, sounds cool huh? Well it looks good on paper, until you realize that the Lost Tribe is a group of whiny, obnoxious Goonies rejects that just wandered onto set one day. A good half of the film is dedicated to The Lost Tribe, and it's annoying as hell.

I would like to meet the person who thought it would be a good idea to let Tina Turney act in a film, and I would like to slap that person across the face. All of the performances in this film are laughable, and the only person that holds their own is Mel Gibson, but he was still lacking.

I would go into more detail about why I dislike this film so much, but I find myself getting mad just writing about the film, so I think I'm gonna stop here. Watch the three other Mad Max movies, they are a wonderful example about how to make a great action movie, but Mad Max Beyond Tunderdome is a wonderful example of how to ruin a trilogy.

I like Thunderdome.

I don't think it's great or anything, but I certainly wouldn't accuse it of ruining anything. I found it entertaining.
We have pretty different opinions on movies.

Master of My Domain
We have pretty different opinions on movies.
Trust me, you are not the only one.

THEY LIVE
(1988, John Carpenter)

The greatest thing about They Live is by far its amazing concept. All of the advertisements, propaganda, and images that surround are daily lives make a lot more sense if they were there because aliens from another planet are using them to try and brainwash us.

The movie follows George Nada as he slowly discovers that everything around him is not as it seems after he discovers sunglasses that show him what the world really is. Because of this fantastic concept, the movie is able to have tension and action throughout the entire film. The main character is played by the late Roddy Piper, and he does a surprisingly good job for a pro-wrestler, and he delivers probably the greatest action one-liner of all time. He is able to give a good blend of badassness and reliability to the character. Most of my enjoyment from the film came from its cheesiness. There is a hilarious wrestle-like fist fight that occurs between to characters, and it is hilarious and entertaining throughout.

This is simply one of those movies like Guardians of the Galaxy or Mad Max: Fury Road that you can't dislike because it's just so fun. This is actually the first John Carpenter movie I have ever seen, and it defiantly makes me want to check out his other movies even more. If there was anything bad I would say about the movie it would be that some of the character motives didn't really make sense, and some actions were confusing at times.

Anyone who likes sic-fi or action will enjoy this movie, and have a great time watching it. I would defiantly recommend it to anybody and everybody.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I love They Live. Such a fun movie. Oh and just to nitpick, Piper's character is called 'John' Nada, not George.

This is actually the first John Carpenter movie I have ever seen, and it defiantly makes me want to check out his other movies even more.
Wow really? Well you're in for quite a treat when it comes to discovering his other work. Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, Christine, Starman, Escape from New York etc; the man made a lot of fun films.

FORBIDDEN PLANET
(1956, Fred Milcox)

In my opinion 50s sic-fi is one of the most interesting and fun genres to watch. The ideas were new and fresh, and they all had that B-movie low budget charm that I have come to love, and Forbidden Planet is the crème de la crème.

This was one of the first films of its time to send humans to space instead of aliens to earth, and it was done incredibly well. Most of the reason this was done so well was because of the incredible set design and special effects, most of witch even hold up today. The film follows a spacecraft travels to the distant planet Altair IV to discover the fate of a group of scientists sent there decades earlier. They find the brilliant Dr. Morbius, his daughter, and their helpful and lovable robot Robbie. A great part of this film is how well done the "science mumbo-jumbo" talk is used. I completely understood everything that was going on, instead of other sic-fi movies where I have no clue.

The thing I loved most about the film were the aforementioned sets, props, and SFX. The technology looked like something that would pass in modern sic-fi movies, and all of the scene with the monster were done perfectly. The only real problem I had was with the stiff action, especially from Leslie Neilson, but it was still fun to see one of my favorite comedic actors so much younger. The script was put together very well, and the story was fun and entertaining throughout.

Forbidden Planet is one of the greatest sic-fi movies of all time, let alone the 1950s. The movie was unique, fun, beautiful, and it defiantly paved the way for science fiction films in the future.

I have to return some videotapes.
This is simply one of those movies like Mad Max: Fury Road that you can't dislike because it's just so fun.
Haha good one!

Wow really? Well you're in for quite a treat when it comes to discovering his other work. Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, Christine, Starman, Escape from New York etc; the man made a lot of fun films.
I will defiantly check all of those out soon, I've also had The Thing, Halloween, and Big Trouble in Little China on my watch list for a while.

FORBIDDEN PLANET
(1956, Fred Milcox)

In my opinion 50s sic-fi is one of the most interesting and fun genres to watch. The ideas were new and fresh, and they all had that B-movie low budget charm that I have come to love, and Forbidden Planet is the crème de la crème.

This was one of the first films of its time to send humans to space instead of aliens to earth, and it was done incredibly well. Most of the reason this was done so well was because of the incredible set design and special effects, most of witch even hold up today. The film follows a spacecraft travels to the distant planet Altair IV to discover the fate of a group of scientists sent there decades earlier. They find the brilliant Dr. Morbius, his daughter, and their helpful and lovable robot Robbie. A great part of this film is how well done the "science mumbo-jumbo" talk is used. I completely understood everything that was going on, instead of other sic-fi movies where I have no clue.

The thing I loved most about the film were the aforementioned sets, props, and SFX. The technology looked like something that would pass in modern sic-fi movies, and all of the scene with the monster were done perfectly. The only real problem I had was with the stiff action, especially from Leslie Neilson, but it was still fun to see one of my favorite comedic actors so much younger. The script was put together very well, and the story was fun and entertaining throughout.

Forbidden Planet is one of the greatest sic-fi movies of all time, let alone the 1950s. The movie was unique, fun, beautiful, and it defiantly paved the way for science fiction films in the future.

Forbidden Planet is one of my all time favorites. I first saw it as a kid at a drive in with my parents and was completely blown away, and scared when the ray guns outlined the monster from the Id. I didn't see it again until I was an adult and still think it was one of the classics of that era. It has a place of honor on my video shelf along with The Day the Earth Stood Still, the 1950 version of course. I still want to know how that computer in Robbie's head, the one with the clicking things, worked.

Spirited Away
(2001, Hayao Miyazaki)

For a very long time I've always wanted to get into anime movies, but for some reason, I never did. I always heard nothing but incredible things about this movie, and it was on my watchlist for a long time, but I never got around to it. I was so glad to see when it was nominated for the 8th Hall of Fame, and immediately but it at the top of my netflix queue.

Spirited Away is about a young girl named Chihiro who accidentally stumbles into a bath house for spirits with her parents. She then must work for a witch to save her parents and escape from the resort. If you have read some of my other reviews of animated films, you will know that I much prefer 2D over 3D animation, and this film is a prime example of why. This is one of the most beautifully animated films I have seen in a while, and possibly one of the most stunning ever. If it were't for the visuals, there is no way that the magical fantasy world this film takes place in would have come to life like it does. This, along with movies like Pinocchio and Fantasia should prove to people that 2D is the way to go, instead of the bland and boring animation most movie studios stick with today.

Along with the animation, the story and characters are what really drive the movie for me. Every character in this movie is original, creative, and has a unique personality. This film wasn't based on any book, tv show, or comic, and it is probably one of the most original films ever made. That is probably the reason I loved this film, its originality. After seeing this film, I became very interested in Hayao Miyazaki, the writer and director of the film, and I will be planning watching his other films My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle sometime soon.

This movie defiantly introduced me to the world of anime, and I'm excited to watch more. This is the first film I have watched for the 8th Hall of Fame, and so far, it's off to a great start.

Thanks for this thread, Nope. Out of those I saw, I disagree only on Mad Max. I give it 0.1 points less than you do. My favorite is The Big Lebowski. There are many that I love, Rear Window, for example. I love those funny details of Alfred's. Like the little dog that goes up and down on a lift. Can I recommend maybe some films of his or in general?

Great review Nope! I agree, Spirited Away is one of the very best when it comes to animated films. My favorite from Miyazaki is Spirited Away, Totoro and Princess Mononoke. Do check out Totoro when you get the chance! Just a heads up though—don't expect the vast, epic scope that Spirited Away had. Totoro is a lot more lighthearted and laid-back, which is a big reason why I like it so much! If you want another "epic" story, then check out Princess Mononoke, which is amazing as well!

Thanks for this thread, Nope. Out of those I saw, I disagree only on Mad Max. I give it 0.1 points less than you do. My favorite is The Big Lebowski. There are many that I love, Rear Window, for example. I love those funny details of Alfred's. Like the little dog that goes up and down on a lift. Can I recommend maybe some films of his or in general?
I actually haven't seen much Hitchcock. The only ones I have seen as of now are Rear Window, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, and one of my all time favorites, North by Northwest. I have also seen half of Vertigo, and I'm planning on watching the rest of it sometime soon. While I love all of those movies Psycho is probably my least favorite, even though it is his most critically acclaimed.

Great review Nope! I agree, Spirited Away is one of the very best when it comes to animated films. My favorite from Miyazaki is Spirited Away, Totoro and Princess Mononoke. Do check out Totoro when you get the chance! Just a heads up though—don't expect the vast, epic scope that Spirited Away had. Totoro is a lot more lighthearted and laid-back, which is a big reason why I like it so much! If you want another "epic" story, then check out Princess Mononoke, which is amazing as well!
I also have had all of those on my watchlist for a while now. Someday I will probably do a Miyazaki marathon, something I have done with many other directors when I fell I haven't seen enough of there movies.

I actually haven't seen much Hitchcock. The only ones I have seen as of now are Rear Window, Psycho, Strangers on a Train, and one of my all time favorites, North by Northwest. I have also seen half of Vertigo, and I'm planning on watching the rest of it sometime soon. While I love all of those movies Psycho is probably my least favorite, even though it is his most critically acclaimed.
I think you might love the end of Vertigo. I don't wanna spoil it for you, but it's definately impressive, imho. I actually thought it's the most critically acclaimed. Psycho is my least favorite too (out of those), I'm not that much into horror.

Why not try Rebecca? It's his first US film, I think, from '40, with Olivier and Joan Fontaine. It was my grandmother's fave. Well, with the probable exeption of Gone With The Wind.

I love/like all of his I've seen, I'll try to recommend in order: (this is just my opinion, of course)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
Vertigo
The Birds
Marnie
Strangers On A Train
Dial M for Murder
The Lady Vanishes
Under Capricorne
Torn Curtain
Frenzy
The Wrong Man
I Confess
Rope
To Catch A Thief
The Trouble With Harry
Family Plot
Topaz

They must of runned a cycle of his films on TV here dozens of times, it was each day for months! (during each cycle)

The Gold Rush
(1925, Charlie Chaplin)

This is the 4th Charlie Chaplin film I have seen, and he continues to amaze me. All of the amazing things he was able to do long before modern technology blows my mind. Besides Modern Times (one of my all time favorites) I think this is his most impressive work.

The Gold Rush follows the Tramp and his run ins with a convict, a successful prospector, and a beautiful woman during the search for gold in the Klondike gold rush. While this isn't my favorite film of his, I do think it is the best portrayal of the tramp I have yet to see. In other films, the tramp is just an average guy who falls victim to a domino effect of incredible coincidences, but in this film he has much more detailed emotions. You feel truly happy when he wins, and very sad when he doesn't. There is one scene in particular that was extremely emotional due to great performances from both Chaplin and the leading lady, Georgia Hale. This is stuff you don't normally get of of Chaplin films, and I loved it.

Along with the acting, this film had great practical effects, especially for the 1920s, particularly the two main scenes in the cabin. Both of these scenes show the incredibly physical acting that Chaplin can do. I can't imagine how hard it must be to pretend a house is slanted, and he did it perfectly. I also believe this film originated the 'I'm hungry so I think my friend is food' gag, and it is the only film I've seen that has done it successfully.

Overall this film had great performances, great practical effects, and that special Chaplin charm only he can achieve. This film is fantastic, and anyone who has enjoyed any of Charlie Chaplin's other films, should really check this one out.

I tried to watch In Bruges once a couple of years ago and turned it off about twenty minutes in, but I have read so much positive stuff about the film on this site that I think I'm going to have to give it another chance.