MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

Enjoyed your review MM! I loved your opening hook,

A couple of years ago, Charlie Chaplin made my viewing habits take a turn for the better, when he singlehandedly made me time travel back a few decades and all the way out of the color spectrum to witness the greatness of silent cinema in its prime.
Love this phrasing: "
travel back a few decades and all the way out of the color spectrum"

I liked the 1942 version quite well. It was nicely restored which was a big help. If you ever seen really poor copies of early silent films, you know what I mean.

Enjoyed your review MM! I loved your opening hook,

Love this phrasing: "[/size]travel back a few decades and all the way out of the color spectrum"

I liked the 1942 version quite well. It was nicely restored which was a big help. If you ever seen really poor copies of early silent films, you know what I mean.

Haha, thank you my favorite citizen of mofo. glad you liked it.

And yes, a good restoration makes all the difference - especially for such old films. What's your fav Chaplin?

Embarrassed to say I haven't seen many Chaplin films, in fact the only one I've seen was The Gold Rush (loved it).

I've seen a bunch of silent films (liked 'em too). Mainly I've seen Harold Lloyd and various feature silent films and just about all the Clara Bow films that survive.

Great reviews! very well written and great reads.
Thank you so much, Topsy, that's the best thing to hear for a humble writer like me.

Since I haven't had a chance to, may I take this opportunity to say that you are one of the best new members we've had in a while. You seem to be everywhere already! Keep it up

Oh and lastly, mange hilsner fra fra ét skandinavisk land til et andet. Jeg så du var fra Norge i din introduktions-post. Hej fra Danmark.

awh,thank you!! That is so nice of you to say!!
haha,that might just be an indication of a lack of life,ey?

Gjeee deg,så gøy! Jeg trodde ikke det var flere av oss her Jeg pleide å dra på tur til Danmark hver sommer da eg var yngre,det var spesielt gøy da eg gikk på ungdomsskolen og plutselig var gammel nok til å kjøpe røyk og alkohol

awh,thank you!! That is so nice of you to say!!
haha,that might just be an indication of a lack of life,ey?

Gjeee deg,så gøy! Jeg trodde ikke det var flere av oss her Jeg pleide å dra på tur til Danmark hver sommer da eg var yngre,det var spesielt gøy da eg gikk på ungdomsskolen og plutselig var gammel nok til å kjøpe røyk og alkohol
Ja det er én af de fede ting ved Danmark haha. Men jo, vi har faktisk lidt folk fra skandinavien her, men de er bare knap så aktive, desværre.

Thanks for checking in again, I always appreciate a comment and all who take their time to read and reply to what I spend (/waste) my time on.

ah,Håper de blir litt mer aktive da Forresten,en av min favoritt filmer er dansk. "Elsker deg for evig"- har du sett den?
Dansker og svensker har mange bra filmer og tv serier,vi nordmenn henger dessverre ganske langt bak Norske forsøk gjør meg bare flau for å være helt ærlig

Absolutely,I`ll definitely be checking in on your future reviews aswell

Jeg synes personligt I har en langt større "skala" med Jeres film, bl.a. Headhunterne var rigtig god. lidt dansk i den, men alligevel. og så er der film som Død Snø og Fritt Vilt - det da film som svenskere og danskere ikke kan lave! Ret imponerende production value.

Men ja, når vi rammer rigtigt kan dansk film være rigtig godt. Og vi ramte også noget større med bl.a. Flammen og Citronen. Et passende budget og meget arbejde var lagt ind i den film.

Men ja, har set Elsker dig for evigt. Fantastisk film, glad for du også kan lide den!

Og så er der film som Jagten, som gør mig pavestolt over at være dansker.

Yaay, I have a new follower!

Fritt Vilt var ganske gøy selv om den var en complete rip off av omtrent alle amerikanske skrekkfilmer Men ett sted må man jo begynne :P

også liker eg veldig godt han ene skuespilleren som er med ifilmen,Nicolaj Lie Kaas. Jeg har sett han i ett par filmer,eg syns han er riktig flink! Jeg liker også veldig godt "Brødre" som han er med i. Syns den var bedre enn den amerikanske remaken.

Jeg har ikke sett "jagten",da må jeg se den om du liker den så godt!

MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
total movie count ........... viewing day count
239 .......................... 276

October 3rd

—— 2015 ——
INSIDIOUS CHAPTER 3
—— horror ——

What a major
disappointment...

The above was my first thoughts and it might as well be my first words as well. Before I bash the banal boredom out of this movie, I will first invite you all into a little inside look of this ominous horror franchise, and my spiritual association with it. In my opinion, director James Wan brought the horror genre back to its roots, which used to revolve around more mysterious menaces as opposed to the modern mass murdering and gore galore we receive today. He does have a weakness though and it lies buried beneath all of the countless clichés of the genre. But his strength is in the craft and he understands atmosphere and how to deliver the dangers to come. I love James Wan because he makes movies after my head of horror – the subgenre is spiritual, the atmosphere is ominous and the visuals are wonderfully gloomy – only problem is that James Wan didn’t direct ‘Insidious Chapter 3’…

The third film in the franchise is helmed by screenwriter, Leigh Whannel, who has his directorial debut here, while Wan optimistically wandered off to direct other actors with supernatural powers with the popular ‘Fast & Furious’-franchise. The actual script and dialogue have never been the light of James Wan’s dim and delicate directing, but at least it worked as a template for the terrors that followed. Whannel isn’t necessarily a poor writer, per say, but Wan was the one who eventually evened out the edges and elevated the material to otherworldly altitudes. The ‘Insidious’ films may feel like nothing more than a compilation of horror and homage, but they are made just after my head and they hold a great blend of horror and horrifying entertainment. ‘Insidious Chapter 3’ had a little bit of both, but mostly just felt like a bareboned and unimaginative imitator of the former films. Leigh Whannel should stick to scripting, or at least to the spirit of the series, instead of imitating poorer and cheaper productions of the genre.

The script did have some strong ideas, but they were never properly developed upon and the production value had degraded to the point of monotonic mediocracy. The decent cinematography, sadly, was not exceptional enough to singlehandedly save the sloppy mess that this movie is – which admittedly does feature a callback to the creepy lighting of the first films – while failing to find a fundamental and more personal path to follow throughout. Some of that blame lies with the studio, of course, who seem to have rushed the production despite of the detour of its director. There seems to have been no time for the production crew to pen a proper script or even find a proper path that works without the vision of Wan. This is especially noticeable in the reliance on computer graphics, which used to be close to non-existent in the past films, all the while the story and entire atmosphere sees the crew surrender to the mainstream by looking like any other annoying teenage horror tragedy, further poisoned and drowned in plain character arcs, poor story development, loud jump scares and even more loud jump scares. In fact, the first hour or so was totally soaked in terrible jump scares, while the last thirty minutes showed some potential, but prided itself with uncertain humor that fell flat and felt completely unnecessary and unfitted for the franchise as a whole.

‘Insidious Chapter 3’ is a fatally failed attempt at past successes and can hardly even be admired as an acceptable effort either. The movie is pretty much balancing between sloppy execution and straight up parody of itself, which far from suits the film, in my opinion. The visuals and part of the production value is probably the closest in resemblance to the franchise I once loved, while elements like the menacing music is missing, mostly in favor of failed jump scares, all the while capable actors have been replaced by crying teen drama and Lin Shaye alone cannot save what is lost. It is hard to even view this film as an entry in the ‘Insidious’-franchise and many of the terrible missteps made me, as a viewer, step all the way out of the so-called atmosphere it tried to create.

+

ah,Håper de blir litt mer aktive da Forresten,en av min favoritt filmer er dansk. "Elsker deg for evig"- har du sett den?
Dansker og svensker har mange bra filmer og tv serier,vi nordmenn henger dessverre ganske langt bak Norske forsøk gjør meg bare flau for å være helt ærlig

Absolutely,I`ll definitely be checking in on your future reviews aswell
Jeg synes personligt I har en langt større "skala" med Jeres film, bl.a. Headhunterne var rigtig god. lidt dansk i den, men alligevel. og så er der film som Død Snø og Fritt Vilt - det da film som svenskere og danskere ikke kan lave! Ret imponerende production value.

Men ja, når vi rammer rigtigt kan dansk film være rigtig godt. Og vi ramte også noget større med bl.a. Flammen og Citronen. Et passende budget og meget arbejde var lagt ind i den film.

Men ja, har set Elsker dig for evigt. Fantastisk film, glad for du også kan lide den!

Yaay, I have a new follower!
Fritt Vilt var ganske gøy selv om den var en complete rip off av omtrent alle amerikanske skrekkfilmer Men ett sted må man jo begynne :P

også liker eg veldig godt han ene skuespilleren som er med ifilmen,Nicolaj Lie Kaas. Jeg har sett han i ett par filmer,eg syns han er riktig flink! Jeg liker også veldig godt "Brødre" som han er med i. Syns den var bedre enn den amerikanske remaken.

Jeg har ikke sett "jagten",da må jeg se den om du liker den så godt!
G*ddammit guys.

Um.... yes i agree

Hope i wasn't agreeing to join some crazy Scandinavian gang you guys are setting up.