→ in
Tools    

Harold and Maude
(1971)

Director: Hal Ashby
Writer: Colin Higgins
Cast: Ruth Gordon, Bud Cort, Vivian Pickles
Genre: Dark Comedy, Drama Romance

Loved this review...always love when a reputed film classic doesn't live up to its reputation...appreciate your honesty about this film, Citizen.

Loved this review...always love when a reputed film classic doesn't live up to its reputation...appreciate your honesty about this film, Citizen.
Thanks I try my best I can't think of too many movies that I liked but was so bugged by the actor that it ruined the movie for me. Harold and Maude is the only one I can think of right now.

Hal Ashby, I'm not familiar with his name. I should go look up what other movies he did. Do you have any favorites by him?
Criterion is releasing one of his titled Being There thats supposedly good. I like you also haven't seen any of his other titles

Hal Ashby, I'm not familiar with his name. I should go look up what other movies he did. Do you have any favorites by him?
Coming Home, The Last Detail, and Shampoo. Being There could be his most popular but I wasn't crazy about it.

Coming Home, The Last Detail, and Shampoo. Being There could be his most popular but I wasn't crazy about it.
Oh, he directed Coming Home, I didn't remember that. Loved that film, I'm sure I reviewed it too. I've never seen Shampoo, but I might give that a watch...then again I'm not the biggest fan of Warren Beatty.

The Shallows(2016)
Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
Writer: Anthony Jaswinski
Cast: Blake Lively, Óscar Jaenada
Genre: Thriller

About
: A medical student on a journey of self discovery, heads to an isolated Mexican beach to go surfing. She's only 200 yards from shore when attacked by a great white shark that's feeding on a nearby, floating whale carcass. Badly wounded, she manages to make it to a small rock outcropping in the middle of the bay. Two problems: the shark knows she's there and the incoming tide will submerge the rock outcropping.

Review: When I watch a movie like The Shallows and review it, I ask myself a few questions: So here's the answers:

Did it hold my attention?...Yes! I was engrossed in the film, it never dragged and just when one scene had played out, another started. Good pacing.

Did I find it believable?....Well, mostly yes. The addition of the rotting whale carcass that attracted the great white shark was a smart story ploy, as it made the following circumstances mostly believable. And the carcass scene had an ehh-yuk factor that worked well with lots of eyeball visual! The wounded seagull that first seems like a threat and then gives her a bit of solace, was also a smart script choice. That bird added a lot to the story! I'd give it a best supporting actor nomination if I could.

Did I find the actions the protagonist took plausible?...These survivor type thrillers work because we put ourselves in the protagonist shoes. Could I see myself making the same choices that she did given the same circumstances? Yes, she really didn't have many choices and the ones she made were logical, mostly.

Did the CG work for or against the film?...Sure the shark looked good, but did it really need to be the size of a small bus? But the main CG flaw was the underwater blood which to me looked like something from a poorly done music video.

Did the acting convince me that the person was in real peril?...Most definitely yes! I predicted Blake Lively would make a name for herself and she's starting to do just that! She stood out in Age of Adeline despite a lack luster script, and was the high light of Woody Allen's Café Society...Here she really does a stellar job of being terrified, feeling alone and facing fear. Not an easy thing to do because there's no other actors for her to play off, no menacing shark model to scare her, it's CG stuff. And yet she was totally believable.

Did I like the director's style of film making?
....Yes and no. The director found a beautiful spot to film at Lord Howe Island, New South Wales. I liked his scene length and compositions, the film looks great...but gawds! I hated the post production CG overlay of Nancy's watch and phone. I found that silly, distracting and it took me right out of the movie. Why couldn't the director just shot her phone screen over her shoulder?

The ending...It's OK, I won't spoil a thing, but I will say the last 10 minutes of the shark encounter was a joke. The way the shark died looked like something from a Looney Tunes cartoon. I would rate this movie higher if the ending had been more intelligent and less over the top block buster crap.

Watch The Shallows, for fun, for scenery and mostly for a talented new actress Blake Lively.

Just watched this tonight. I mostly agree with the review, but would probably rate it a little lower (okay, I'll add half a point for Blake Lively's bikini - if you know what I mean!)
For some reason I never really felt invested in it, maybe because the main character's background story just felt a bit cliched (that's not the word I want, but I can't think of the right word to describe it).

WARNING: "Climax" spoilers below
The ending almost killed it for me. At first I couldn't figure out what she was doing, and then after the climax I couldn't figure out why she did it. What I mean is, how did she even fathom (excuse the pun) what might happen to formulate a plan around it? Did she know what is at the base of a buoy? (I don't, so such a plan probably would never have crossed my mind.) I realize it was a last ditch effort, but it seemed just making a break for shore would've been equally as logical because if there's one creature that's probably really good at not running into things on the ocean floor, it's a shark.

I personally think Being There (1979) is a bit of an understated masterpiece.
But I can see why some might not be thrilled by it right off, it's definitely an acquired taste.
It's a slow-moving, enigmatic, somewhat cerebral film with an underlying humor to its social satire.

I always found its message fascinating and secretly wished I could have the kind of success that Chauncey did - where everyone would read genius-level insight into my simplistic thoughts (unfortunately, I'm not that simple.)

It's one of those films I've enjoyed rewatching because each time I pick up on more of the psychology and sociology (and it's really not so much about Chauncey, but about how society responds to him and to each other - a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.)

Hal Ashby directed Coming Home, The Last Detail, and Shampoo.

Just watched this tonight. I mostly agree with the review, but would probably rate it a little lower (okay, I'll add half a point for Blake Lively's bikini - if you know what I mean!)
For some reason I never really felt invested in it, maybe because the main character's background story just felt a bit cliched (that's not the word I want, but I can't think of the right word to describe it).

The ending almost killed it for me. At first I couldn't figure out what she was doing, and then after the climax I couldn't figure out why she did it. What I mean is, how did she even fathom (excuse the pun) what might happen to formulate a plan around it? Did she know what is at the base of a buoy? (I don't, so such a plan probably would never have crossed my mind.) I realize it was a last ditch effort, but it seemed just making a break for shore would've been equally as logical because if there's one creature that's probably really good at not running into things on the ocean floor, it's a shark.
Watch what you say about this movie...Citizen is obsessed with Blake Lively.

Just watched this [The Shallows] tonight. I mostly agree with the review, but would probably rate it a little lower (okay, I'll add half a point for Blake Lively's bikini - if you know what I mean!)

I think we're on the same page. I didn't care about her back story. And I hated the ending, which was a lame-brain attempt at bringing a CG type action excitement in what had up to that point mostly been a psychological thriller. I liked the quieter moments where it was just her the seagull and the fear of the unknown. If the movie was more horrific (as many horror fans would have liked) I wouldn't have watched it. Even with Blake Lively

I have a movie recommendation for you! The Age of Adeline (2015)

I personally think Being There (1979) is a bit of an understated masterpiece.
But I can see why some might not be thrilled by it right off, it's definitely an acquired taste.
It's a slow-moving, enigmatic, somewhat cerebral film with an underlying humor to its social satire.

I always found its message fascinating and secretly wished I could have the kind of success that Chauncey did - where everyone would read genius-level insight into my simplistic thoughts (unfortunately, I'm not that simple.)

It's one of those films I've enjoyed rewatching because each time I pick up on more of the psychology and sociology (and it's really not so much about Chauncey, but about how society responds to him and to each other - a bit like The Emperor's New Clothes.)
Can't believe I forgot about Being There...brilliant film, clearly Ashby's masterpiece and my 2nd favorite Peter Sellers performance, behind Dr. Strangelove.

Bundle of Joy
(1956)

Director: Norman Taurog
Cast: Eddie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds, Adolphe Menjou
Genre: Comedy, Musical, Romance

About: A young single woman (Debbie Reyolds) who's been recently fired from her department store job, goes looking for work and finds an abandoned baby outside of an orphanage. When she takes the baby into the orphanage, they believe the baby is hers, and refuse to believe other wise.

Review: Bundle of Joy is a musical romance comedy, featuring husband and wife team of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. The film marks two major events:

1) This was Eddie Fisher's debut film. Eddie had become a singing sensation earlier in 1953-54 with a couple of appearances on the Coke Time TV series, which was a variety show sponsored by Coca-Cola. Hit records soon followed for Eddie and he was offered the staring role in Bundle of Joy. He hated the movie and as fortune would have it, this would be his only starring role. That was in part to his highly scandalous affair with Elizabeth Taylor (both were married at the time.) Eddie did do one more bigger movie, Butterfield 8 with girlfriend Liz Taylor. Bundle of Joy is the only film he sings in, he's a darn good singer too and a decent actor to boot. He should have had a bigger career, but he didn't.

2) The other major event is, Debbie Reynolds was pregnant with a very young Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) during the shooting of the movie.

Bundle of Joy, is a remake of the 1939 Ginger Roger's movie Bachelor Mother. Shot in gloriously colorful Technicolor the film is a virtual eye candy of mid 1950s high fashions. In one scene the rich boyfriend of Debbie Reynolds takes her on a shopping spree, decking her out in the latest high fashions, reminiscent of the scene from Pretty Woman. The songs in the movie are nice, but nothing to get real excited about. The film is charming and a fun, easy watch. If you get this on the Warner Classics DVD the movie has been beautiful restored and looks great.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundle of Joy 1956 (1).jpg
Views:	315
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	29485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundle of Joy 1956 (1).png
Views:	380
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	29486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bundle of Joy 1956 (2).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	29487  

This is totally irrelevant and uninteresting - but I started watching this movie once, got called away and never finished.
No idea why I just posted this as it is completely irrelevant, pointless and uninteresting.
I'm in a silly mood tonight.

This is totally irrelevant and uninteresting - but I started watching this movie once, got called away and never finished.
No idea why I just posted this as it is completely irrelevant, pointless and uninteresting.
I'm in a silly mood tonight.
You should check out again, Debbie Reynolds is fairly cute in this, she's not Doris Day but she holds her own.

You should check out again, Debbie Reynolds is fairly cute in this, she's not Doris Day but she holds her own.
Maybe you can help me out here, Rules. I went looking for an oldies song I thought was called "Bundle of Joy," assuming it was sung by Eddie Fisher for this movie, but I can't find it. (Although I get a zillion hits for a song with that title from the Pixar movie Inside Out.)

Now I've got the song in my head (all I can remember are the lyrics "a great big bundle of joy"), but have no idea when the song was from (I know it was either 50's or 60's), who sang it or what it's actual title was.

Thanks, Rules. I cannot find a copy of that song to listen to anywhere (where you don't have to download & pay) and it's not on YouTube (one video supposedly features clips of all the songs from the movie - all except that one). In the soundtrack listing for the movie it's listed as "Bundle of Joy and finale."

I may be confusing it with a song called the "Chatanoogie Shoeshine Boy" which has the lyrics "he's a great big bundle of joy" in it. But I feel like I used to hear this song on the oldies stations all the time (which, back in the day was WCBS with The Cousin Brucie Show!)