The Videogames Tab

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
I booted up RDR II this morning. Last save file - 11.24.19

I remembered how tiresome it gets being forced to ride a horse to listen to dialogue in what use to be a cut scene. Lot of walking in the mud, this game.
Oh wait, are the cut scenes done ‘in game’, HL2 style?

I’m kinda hopeful that a VR mod may crop up now RDR2 is on PC. In game chatter translates a lot better than movies stuck to your face :/

(Less excited about all the horse moseying though. The vehicles in GTA def make the transit sing in more varied ways...)

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Oh wait, are the cut scenes done ‘in game’, HL2 style?

I’m kinda hopeful that a VR mod may crop up now RDR2 is on PC. In game chatter translates a lot better than movies stuck to your face :/

(Less excited about all the horse moseying though. The vehicles in GTA def make the transit sing in more varied ways...)

I'm not familiar with HL2, so I can't say. Being dragged by the nose, forced to listen to an exposition dump and rowing buttons is not fun for me in relation to Rockstar Cowboys.

I really appreciate the Kojima cut-scenes, in light of any perceived shortcomings. Let me put the controller down.

I'm not familiar with HL2, so I can't say. Being dragged by the nose, forced to listen to an exposition dump and rowing buttons is not fun for me in relation to Rockstar Cowboys.

I really appreciate the Kojima cut-scenes, in light of any perceived shortcomings. Let me put the controller down.
My big takeaway here is that you should play a Half Life 2 immediately if you haven’t

(So what you have like QuickTime events in the cowboy chat? Or you have to spam through the dialogue or something?)

Welcome to the human race...
I was a big fan of MP3 My taste in gaming doesn't do for inventories and crafting, etc. Let me loose, point me in a general direction and give me some cheap adrenaline.

There is one part in MP3 I really enjoyed because of the music and setting. Made me feel like a little kid in the backyard, tuck and rolling after I saw Raw Deal playing the music from it I recorded off the t.v. :nerd:
Speaking of music, I totally forgot that HEALTH had even composed the score for the game until they started playing a song with vocals during the final mission. I don't know how much of that is to blame on them or the game. At least when I played Grand Theft Auto V I could tell I was listening to a Tangerine Dream score.

Played some GTA V today. I really liked the character development, especially Trevor Phillips, is really something of a character, they decided to make the characters a little less of a cliché this time. I'd like to experience the online mode, but they say is crappy compared to the single player, I don't know. I played some roleplay in the SA:MP, but even the best one (LS:RP) doesn't have enough features to grab me. Didn't had as much fun in a GTA since Vice City so many years ago.

I'd really like to play the new Red Dead Redemption as well, liked the story of the last one, really nice story. Don't have a computer or a console for that. Will wait a few years until they lower the prices of the PS4 or Xbox One. I'm not in a hurry.

The browser game, Die2Nite doesn't have enough players anymore, doesn't worth my effort. Have to find one. Used to play a space browser game with a very big American community, called Astro Empires, created by a portuguese guy from Faro, but that community left, I really miss that forum, some great discussions there.

(So what you have like QuickTime events in the cowboy chat? Or you have to spam through the dialogue or something?)
You just ride the horse. Tap cross, tap cross, tap cross to make the horse giddyup. Follow the guy you're talking to for the longest 2 minutes of your life

I was a big fan of MP3 My taste in gaming doesn't do for inventories and crafting, etc. Let me loose, point me in a general direction and give me some cheap adrenaline.

There is one part in MP3 I really enjoyed because of the music and setting. Made me feel like a little kid in the backyard, tuck and rolling after I saw Raw Deal playing the music from it I recorded off the t.v. :nerd:
Speaking of music, I totally forgot that HEALTH had even composed the score for the game until they started playing a song with vocals during the final mission. I don't know how much of that is to blame on them or the game. At least when I played Grand Theft Auto V I could tell I was listening to a Tangerine Dream score.
I didn't know who Health was, but that song was great. Really set the mood unlike anything I can remember.

Played some GTA V today. I really liked the character development, especially Trevor Phillips, is really something of a character, they decided to make the characters a little less of a cliché this time. I'd like to experience the online mode, but they say is crappy compared to the single player, I don't know. I played some roleplay in the SA:MP, but even the best one (LS:RP) doesn't have enough features to grab me. Didn't had as much fun in a GTA since Vice City so many years ago.
Trevor’s almost like a giant pastiche of GTA excess isn’t he? Excellently done though . I love how it feels natural to be far more absurdly chaotic when playing as him, more restrained as the others. I’m playing again at the mo and currently insist on landing a plane by every mission marker, do or die

(Unsettlingly in VR he picks my nose periodically though. It’s a step too far...)

Definitely give online a try, and maybe some of the custom dirt bike races etc. It’s a technical marvel, and can be chaotic fun. It’s just ultimately soured by the P2W ‘shark card’ side. Gets annoying when the tanks plow through and the sticky bombs rain...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
CONTROL

I haven't been this invested in a game since MWII. I cannot say enough on how enjoyable this thing is. There is so much replayability! As you gain abilities new areas reveal themselves. Other must be discovered. Item containers can be in the most obscured hiding places, progressively accessible depending on the abilities you've unlocked. Too, some documents only appear after certain quest lines so rerunning early areas offer several incentives.

Right now I have 5 trophies left to earn with three story line mission still ongoing. Not sure what they may open, but I'm guessing I'll hit the last few trophies in the remaining game play.

At this point most anything I post will likely be a spoiler so I doubt I will have too much to add from here on but gosh, this game is addictive. Metroid II in 3d third-person? All day, any day.

A system of cells interlinked
Busy weekend, but I did get some Odyssey action in on Sunday. Finally sailed over to Athens, and it is pretty damned impressive. Climbed around on a massive statue of Athena, after which I had a little chat with Socrates.

This isn't my game, but it's a pretty cool video featuring a nice little tour of Athens.

Visual spoilers abound!

I've written an absurd amount of words about GTA VR again...

GTA VERY GOOD RUNNING AROUND

THE USUAL SUSPECTS:

Standard caveats: It's blurry as feck at speed, slightly flickery, overlaid with the 'screen door' effect of bonus pixelation, and occasionally borderline unplayable.

Also, do remember to reposition your head occasionally

<snip>

WISHING ON AN NPC STAR:

The story exposition and insane side-alley content is at its absolute best when enacted in the world, not as a cut scene. I really wish there was a whole game built around this stuff...

<snip>

Although shooting has never been GTA's forte, and the cover mode isn't worth using here, stuff like tense shoot-out escapes from locked down buildings, or shot-gunning your way out of an industrial-estate drug deal are all as bombastic as you'd expect. Completing the heists, with all the inter-linking getaway driving and set-up thefts have all been grand too

<snip>

FGGING FUN I'M NOT GETTING ANY SLEEP AHHHHH:

Just as a general, distracting, detail-replete playground... this is great . The story missions are just the cherry on the top. I spent the last two night losing loads of money on hospital bills for Trevor, just having an absolute ball. Chasing down bounty hunt targets for his mom. Parachuting onto moving trains. Falling off moving trains. Plummeting past cable cars like an incompetent panther....
But the ultimate synopsis would probably be:

I saw two motorcycle cops have a shootout with a puma...

--

The People's Republic of Clogher
I Death Stranded for 3 or 4 hours yesterday. More, much more, to come once I've got my head round it all.

It's probably fair to say that I adore and detest DS in equal measure right now. These figures may change.

I Death Stranded for 3 or 4 hours yesterday. More, much more, to come once I've got my head round it all.

It's probably fair to say that I adore and detest DS in equal measure right now. These figures may change.

About time! I've been dying to hear how a longtime member of the Kojima fan club reacts to his most divisive title.

About time! I've been dying to hear how a longtime member of the Kojima fan club reacts to his most divisive title.
I've not gotten to any combat yet; in fact I've only had one time where my life has even been in danger. It's all been extended tutorial so far, and cut scenes where people with extremely silly names wear even sillier masks.

Still waiting for the appearance of the first Welsh character in a Kojima game, Dai Hardman.

Anyway, Game Pass is becoming kinda essential, at least to me.

CONTROL

I FINALLY killed Mr. Tomassi!!!
MY goodness that was a tough match. Most boss encounters have gone around 5 rounds before I find a pattern or just get lucky. I lost count at 20+ with this one. He's a floater, zipping around in a mostly open 3-story warehouse structure. There were several obstacles on the floor that he would drop behind for cover and 3 upper level catwalks he could duck behind. Add to that his shield that takes two hits via launched objects to drop enough to try to dent his health with a weapon. He can launch objects too though so, yeah. And his shield can regen after a few health hits. AND and... unlike my levitation power, his does not have a time limit which totally sucks being in the middle of a great fight only to notice you're slowly falling out of range due to power limits.

Then there's heat-seeking Hiss that explode in your proximity. Oh. And they fly too. AND!!!! There's this invisible Hiss monster similar to the Demogorgan of Stranger Things that you must track by the blurry trail he leaves as he sprints the floor before appearing next to you dealing AoE damage. (plus a few generic goons running around with guns).

I took yesterday off from work with one of my primary goals being to defeat this bastage. I haven't posted a clip (yet) because my winning tactic was eventually to hide in the corner, under cover to exploit the AI's inability to float down to the floor level to get UNDER the cover I was hiding behind. I feel it was a cheat way out, but wow I still nearly died after the fact. I'm thinking to show the death strike clips of all of my many failed efforts before the winning video, but I'm not sure I want to bother with such editing. Especially not through Sony's editing app.

Point is, I finally got him down. Feeling confident, I then proceeded to take on esseJ in the Mirror reality highlighted in a previous video posted here. I got her down too.

Two Hidden Trophies left before earning the platinum "Director of the FBC." This will be a first for me earning 100% of a game's trophies. I've read there are 28 missions total, including side missions, and I have completed 26 with one open. Hopefully, this will open the final mission to close that door. I still have two clothing outfits to find and I hope those too will be presented in these remaining two missions. Seems unlikely, so I may spend the weekend re-exploring every stage to see if I've missed one there.

Finally, it's a Service Weapon, and not "Sidearm" like I've typed for all of my posts. I'm considering going back to edit them all out of respect.

It's almost over, everyone. Then I will stop flooding this thread with my obsessions.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

@ynwtf I see you got the Platinum. Well done!

Those things never really appeal to me but I've got an urge to go for the Plat in Bloodstained. It'll take a LOT of grinding, but it's such a fun game that I *might* put up with it.

@ynwtf I see you got the Platinum. Well done!

Those things never really appeal to me but I've got an urge to go for the Plat in Bloodstained. It'll take a LOT of grinding, but it's such a fun game that I *might* put up with it.
Same really. Most of them came from just completing missions and taking on side quests. I have never bothered with trophies until this game.

I finished the game yesterday. It was a bit underwhelming considering so much of the game play itself but it's totally a setup for a sequel. DLC is supposed to come in 2 part expansions at some point. I bought it last night but nothing really important is available so far. You just get to continue the game to wrap up anything you left open. All I've got left are random Hiss incursions. Not much point.

The last two missions are kinda trippy though, breaking the fourth wall, and they licensed the Vent track from Tricky so the game just keeps upping their ante even in the end.

Excellent game with minor gripes.

Good luck with Bloodstained!