The Phantom of the Opera

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by gummo
$40? , I spent $85 to see it in 1992. (or should I say my parents did) Oh wait, you are in the States, that'd explain it.
I'm one of those people who will run all over Times Square to get the half price tickets.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I'm one of those people who will run all over Times Square to get the half price tickets.
I am not. I guess when daddy pays for everything you sort of don't think about how much show tickets cost. Especially if you go often
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

glitter~ that would make a difference!

susan~ yeah, I like that option too. The last show I saw in previews needed serious work, though. I think I'll stick to the last week of previews, in the future.

Did anyone see the Robert Englund version of it?

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I saw the Phantom film twice already. I must say I think it really is amazing!! Emmy Rossum really is great as Christine, and Gerard Butler is on Fire as the Phantom!! Gerard's performance exudes so much emotion it's heart rendering!! I am very pleased with this movie. I hope that you guys check it out!!

If you would like more info on Gerard butler, please check out the website: www.gerardbutler.net.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

GreenFairy

And this is my BOOMstick!
Not my kind of movie. Definetely. Don't know what people see in musicals, to be honest the commercial for the movie scared me.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Nitzer
Don't know what people see in musicals, to be honest the commercial for the movie scared me.
I pity you...

And this is my BOOMstick!
I pity the fool who pitties me

I just saw it (the movie) and I really enjoyed it. The costumes are fantastic and sure to win an Oscar. Minnie Driver took the show, if you ask me. She was brilliant. I liked both of the leads, but felt that the musical direction was inferior - they American Idol-ed the singing a bit, which was unfortunate. Loved Miranda Richardson as the semi-creepy old ballet mistress, too. They did some really cool stuff with the photography. All in all, it's a very good production.

just saw this and i still can't understand what all the fuss is about...the casting was great..i agree that minnie driver stole the show...emmy rossum has a beautiful voice and gerard butler does bang up job as the phantom....

but i wasn't all that crazy about the music (i like very few webber musicals) and when the three leads combined their voices, which was often, i had a hard time following...

the sets were a little overwhelming and i found it moved a little slow...

well, i have something else to add to the list.., anywho, loved the movie, truly touching

Phantoms voice was more of a rock star than of a seductive genius.

It came out a little earlier in the UK and I saw it twice in the opening three days. I have grown up watching the stage show (five times in Manchester, England) and so it is a musical very close to my heart. I was absolutely petrified when I was wating for it to come on in the theatre because I didn't want my favourite musical to be made a hash of. I must say I was absolutely delighted with the film. The music soothed and soared as ever and I think Emmy Rossum has an absolutely beautiful voice. Gerard Butler maybe wasn't as talented in the vocal department but lit the role up with his passion. I would say vice versa for Patrick Wilson - Great voice but not a great performance. The story is still the only story I have encountered that can move me in a way beyond my own control. I just think they did a fantastic job of it and I hope all other fans of the musical were as pleased as me.

Lets put a smile on that block
Sounds like you really liked it Rjoey? Sisboombah (Used to be a rugular poster here) has seen it twice now and has been listening to the soundtack over and over in her car the entirety of the Christmas holidays. I dont go in her car anymore.

Oh hell yeah, loved it. I have the soundtrack on full volume sometimes, both the old and new versions and they're both great

Originally Posted by allthatglitters
I am not sure you can put this in the catergory of nay other remake. Yes The Phantom of the Opera has been made into a film twice before, but this is the adaptation of the musical. I consider the music to be at times ingenious and highly original.
I agree because the musical to the best of my knowledge is a bigger hit than the drama-style movies were,so, I feel this is a reinventing of an idea in the truest meaning of the word. I haven't seen the movie yet even though it's playing but unfortunately, it did not become the huge smash hit some people predicted it to be. Perhaps with a film like this with such a smaller audience and more exclusive appeal, it may not have the potential, realistically, to be a huge box-office success even if the movie was perfect, exceeding expectations. I just don't know. But I hardly thought of the idea of the film as a regurgitation. At most, I thought of it as a cash-in movie because of "Chicago"s huge success but myself as well as you all know by now that's not true.
It was truly a blow, however, to fans that Le Miserable the Movie was not made with its theatrical soundtrack. It's almost baffling, really.