New Willy Wonka

Tools    

War, Pestilence, Famine, Death.
I've heard it said that Tim Burton is revising the classic story of the madman and his candy factory. I've also heard it said that Johnny Depp will portray Mr. Wonka. Is this true?

Where can I find more info?

I'm neutral on this one. It could turn out excellent but, as far as remakes go it could turn out to be a huge load of crap.

I can't wait for this movie to come out. I hate the original but the story done by someone like Burton could be really cool, and just flat out strange. here

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by projectMayhem
I can't wait for this movie to come out. I hate the original but the story done by someone like Burton could be really cool, and just flat out strange. here

Hate the original????

Don't you blaspheme in here!!!

The original was boring.

I live right next-door to where they are going to be filming some of it, Shepperton Studios, thats where Depp's offices are as well, also the new Batman is being filmed there, both in the new year.

I just don't like musicals in general.

Originally Posted by Garrett
I'm neutral on this one. It could turn out excellent but, as far as remakes go it could turn out to be a huge load of crap.
Brain De Palma's remake of Scarface was very good though. So I guess we all got to wait and see. Hopefully if it is true it turns out good.

I can see Tim Burton remaking the "headless chicken in tunnel" scene very well hahaha.

Never conform, never compromise....
I can't wait for this one, I love the original, and love Burton's work...should be very interesting, not to mention messed up. Imagine the Umpa-Lumpa's...IMAGINE ...AND Depp as Willy Wonka, prob one of the best actors in film today...and he works so well with Burton (however I have yet to see "Ed Wood" because I cannot find it on DVD, and have no VCR, but have heard very good things) and any other messed up role, for that matter.(9th Gate, and Dead Man...AMAZING)

It is funny, because after seeing the preview for his new movie, I thought, "Would'nt it be great to see Burton remake, Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of OZ" never thought of Wonka, but I have high hopes..two of my fave people in the movie bizz...

Well, I think thats all...for today anyways..
- Corey Taylor (2002)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Endless
I can't wait for this one, I love the original, and love Burton's work...should be very interesting, not to mention messed up. Imagine the Umpa-Lumpa's...IMAGINE ...AND Depp as Willy Wonka, prob one of the best actors in film today...and he works so well with Burton (however I have yet to see "Ed Wood" because I cannot find it on DVD, and have no VCR, but have heard very good things) and any other messed up role, for that matter.(9th Gate, and Dead Man...AMAZING)

It is funny, because after seeing the preview for his new movie, I thought, "Would'nt it be great to see Burton remake, Alice in Wonderland, or Wizard of OZ" never thought of Wonka, but I have high hopes..two of my fave people in the movie bizz...

Well, I think thats all...for today anyways..

I concur..

Depp and Burton together are just money, and the sets will be amazing.

Dead Man is the bomb!

Cheers!

I do belive that Johhny Dep is going to be the nexr Wonka but I just hope it not true!The only Wonka is Gene Wild he is the best!If he was still alive he would have a heart atteck!
Are they really running out of ideas that they need to keep making remakes?That is awful we need some creative movies not remakes!It is not going to make alot of money and it offen fails!
Oh well maybe it wil not that bad!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
The only Wonka is Gene Wild he is the best!If he was still alive he would have a heart atteck!
Gene Wilder is very much alive kiddo.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Jackie Malfoy
[color=DarkSlateBlue]The only Wonka is Gene Wild he is the best!If he was still alive he would have a heart atteck
I didn't even know he was sick!
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

It was beauty killed the beast.
Obviously Burton didn't learn anything from the disaster of his last remake.

Originally Posted by Kong
Obviously Burton didn't learn anything from the disaster of his last remake.
He may have learned that when he remakes a cult classic, people go to see it, no matter how bad it turns out. Planet of the Apes (2001) made over $180,000,000 U.S. and falls in at 69 on the top 100 grossing films in U.S.

I agree;it was a disaster, but money might mean more to some directors and studios than artistic quality, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Mark
He may have learned that when he remakes a cult classic, people go to see it, no matter how bad it turns out. Planet of the Apes (2001) made over $180,000,000 U.S. and falls in at 69 on the top 100 grossing films in U.S.

I agree;it was a disaster, but money might mean more to some directors and studios than artistic quality, unfortunately.
All very true, and a new Wonka film would undoubtedly make bajillions.

Originally Posted by Kong
All very true, and a new Wonka film would undoubtedly make bajillions.
I want to see it because of Depp, not Burton.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I'd have to say more of Depp, not Burton, as well. Although I don't dislike Burton (I love the style in Pee Wee's Big Adventure), Depp is one of the best. I'm not saying this because of his recent Jack Sparrow role, either. I've thought this for a long time.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Depp's portrayal would, at the very least, be interesting to watch.

Depp's been one of my favorites since Ed Wood, which still remains my favorite Depp role ever.

Old-time MoFo Miriam and I talked about this some time ago, and came to agree that Kevin Spacey is probably the only modern-day star who could slide into that velvety purple coat and deliver a performance comparable to Gene Wilder's. Of course, they're probably going to alter the remake's direction and mood enough that someone like Spacey, while perhaps ideal for a mere update, would seem out of place in a total revisioning of the story.