Movies you've been meaning to see for ages?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I haven't seen 2001 in about 15 years, but keep meaning to.

I also didn't see Fanny and Alexander. I rent it a lot, but being 3 hours long, I need to have three hours available...

I haven't seen 2001 in about 15 years, but keep meaning to.

I also didn't see Fanny and Alexander. I rent it a lot, but being 3 hours long, I need to have three hours available...
I'm one of the few people who was bored to death by 2001...I don't understand the film's universal appeal at all.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Mother and the Whore
Melancholia (Lav Diaz)
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I'm one of the few people who was bored to death by 2001...I don't understand the film's universal appeal at all.

I think it's a great movie, but the sum of all its parts is not as good as the parts themselves.
The monkey business (ehehe) beginning, the jump cut from the bone to the spaceship (to me this is perhaps the single most powerful moment in the history of movies, period), the spaceships dancing to the Blue Danube, the astronauts and the monolith, Hal, the very ending. All of these scenes are amazing but I always feel like the movie doesn't deliver as well in connecting these scenes together, like there's something wrong with the pacing of the movie. Which is also why I think Barry Lyndon is Kubrick's best movie.

Anyway the movie I've been meaning to see for ages is La Haine, but every single time I'm like "ok let's do it!" something happens and I have to stop. It's getting ridiculous, but one day I'll eventually manage to watch it.

I've been meaning to watch a few of Scorsese's films that I didn't see yet, also The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now, 1900, Last Tango in Paris, Fanny and Alexander, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, 8 1/2, Brazil and a lot of other old movies that are considered classics.

I felt the same... it's kinda like watching paint dry. I actually watched it twice cause I figured I might see things differently but it was still boring at the second viewing.

So many. However, the one that's at an "I can't believe you've not see that" level is To Kill A Mockingbird.

Just to bash 2001, because I rarely miss an opportunity, I've tried to watch that seven times and only managed it twice. The last being just a couple of weeks ago and, rather than gaining an appreciation of it, I found new things to annoy me.

Paths Of Glory is my favourite Kubrick and that isn't saying much. It is, however, miles better than anything else of his that I've seen.

Oh, and La Haine is really good. Get it seen, Henry.

Out 1, noli me tangere (1971) by Jacques Rivette

West of the Tracks (2003) by Wang Bing

As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty (2000) by Jonas Mekas

Trouble in Paradise (1932) by Ernst Lubitsch

The Devil, Probably (1977) by Robert Bresson

The beginning of 2001 is really amazing, but then I remember it in parts as well. I also have been trying to watch 2001. The last time my cousin who loves space just can't seem to have the ability to watch a movie.

I love Last Tango in Paris, when I only liked it at 17, but then again, I don't think a teenager can get out of it what an adult does after years of experience. Paths of Glory is a hell of a film.

Oh, and La Haine is really good. Get it seen, Henry.
I really want to It's the 23rd movie in my recently renovated to-watch list so hopefully I'll get there in less than a month. I wish I could be more flexible about that list but the voices in my head say I have to stick to it, I HAVE TO.

Another movie I've always wanted to see is Cleopatra, but I've always lacked the courage to press the play button. If I do it, it's gonna be the real deal, the version I'll have to ask for days off at work to watch.

The Red Shoes -- it's been collecting dust... I'm just afraid of too much dancing, and the six movies I get from the library usually take priority.

If the dancing is the only thing holding you back, I'd say watch it as there really isn't very much. I find that one long dance scene gets fairly boring, but you can speed through that if you want. If you think you'll like the rest of it, then you shouldn't let that put you off. And I'm not even a fan of it.

I never FF, and about 98% of the time if I start a film, I finish it.. I read about a 14-minute dance.

On a scale of 10, what would you rate the film?

I know there are tons of others that I have at home I haven't watched too. I can't remember some of the names, otherwise I'd ask. And I rarely finish 6 films in a week from the library.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
This seems like a silly discussion. Haven't you seen any of the other Archers' masterpieces? They're the best filmmakers of the '40s.

These two Japanese classics:

Seven Samurai (1954)

Tokyo Story (1953)
Seven Samurai is excellent, hope you like it as much as I did on my first viewing.

Dr Strangelove (watching it tonight), Tokyo Story (or any Ozu), and any Tarkovsky for me.

I never FF, and about 98% of the time if I start a film, I finish it.. I read about a 14-minute dance.

On a scale of 10, what would you rate the film? .
For myself, it's probably about
but as a piece of cinema it's more a
at least. It's beautiful to look at, well acted and uses music well. The story is a tried and trusted one, but that's not a bad thing, think classic rather than conventional or unoriginal. We only know six stories, so it has to be one of them.

I agree with mark in that if you want to look at some of the best 40's cinema, you won't regret looking at the Archers stuff. Whether you like it or not is another thing, but it's up there with the best in terms of quality.

If the dancing is the only thing holding you back, I'd say watch it as there really isn't very much. I find that one long dance scene gets fairly boring, but you can speed through that if you want. If you think you'll like the rest of it, then you

shouldn't let that put you off. And I'm not even a fan of it.
I like how you ended that by telling us your not a fan, as if the rest of the comment didn't tell us that already

Also, I have a ginormous list of horror movies honeykid recommended me, so there are those.