True Detective (HBO) Official Thread

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.
I just wanted to make the official thread for the new TV anthology series from HBO called True Detective. It stars Mathew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson as two detectives Rust and Martin, and their hunt for a serial killer in Louisiana over the course of 17 long years. I think the show looks absolutely phenomenal from the trailers I've seen , and it has recieved incredible reviews from numerous critics so far. Looks like another hit for HBO, and I can't wait until it premiers on January 12, 2014.

I've heard really good things, and my wife and I have been talking a lot lately about how we'd like to see more American shows follow the weird, twisty ways of their British counterparts, which seem far more willing to produce limited mini-series', anthologies, or toy with their formats (IE: a season of normal hour-long episodes one year, or a series of small mini-movies the next). This is definitely a step in that direction.

So one season is going to cover 17 years? This should be interesting. I will be tuning in.
Yes, the first season is going to be 8 episodes total and it is supposed to span 17 years.

I was so interested in this tv series until I saw it an "anthology". I will DVR since I watch REVENGE at that time.

May have to check this out when I get HBO again in the spring.

Good first episode. The performances are great, the show looks fantastic and it feels very real. It was very slow, but that's not a big complain. I'm sure the pace will pick up in the future.

Yeah, I really liked the first episode. It feels like a movie; great production all around. Definitely excited to see the rest.
Indeed. The cinematography was gorgeous, there were some excellent shots here. The opening scene was especially haunting.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
great first episode. kinda reminds me of Zodiac

did anyone else notice Woody Harrelson's character wasn't wearing his wedding band in the flash forward interview scenes? i thought that was very telling.

great first episode. kinda reminds me of Zodiac

did anyone else notice Woody Harrelson's character wasn't wearing his wedding band in the flash forward interview scenes? i thought that was very telling.
I'm assuming that maybe Rust and Marty's wife hook up, and thats why around 2002 they cease being partners. I could be wrong, but thats my prediction at the moment.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
yep, that's where i was coming from. actually, what prompted me to pay attention to the wedding band thing was the interaction the two had at dinner.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Great first episode, Harrelson nails the role and McConaughey is just weird enough to make the duo that more interesting.

Very Zodiac-ish, which is a plus, since I love Fincher's film.

Suspect's Reviews

Yeah the cinematography of the show is fantastic, very moody and even a bit depressing. McConaughey is perfect for this role, Woody is awesome as well. I think its safe to say HBO has another hit on their hands.

Remember when McCaughaney was in Failure to Launch? What a long way he has come.
The first two episodes are fantastic. Both woody and matthew's performances are above anything they've done in the past

Just watched the first episode. F*cking awesome. My favourite first episode of something that I can remember for a while, gonna watch the second now.

Watched episode two yesterday, was great too, more development of characters than first episode after first one focussed on getting us set up with the serial killer plot.

Love the overall dark feel of the whole thing, and I am not just talking about stylistically. Through this interview, switching of timelines style, you can just tell that the narrative is heading towards something dark along the line, it feels like something is gonna f*ck up along the way, it has to for the characters to get to where they are now.

And the theme song is great.

Love that opening sequence Daniel. I liked, didnt love, the first two episodes. The lead performances are very good. The show is cinematic. I think it is going to unravel nicely but am not 100% convinced, thus my reservations to call it great as of yet.