Rate: Only God Forgives

Tools    

Drive was a masterpiece and I've only seen the first 20 or so minutes of OGF. So far it reminds me of something Lynchian. Too bad it got such awful reviews since Kristen Scott Thomas deserves and Oscar nod.

How would you rate it? I couldn't get into it the first time and was just curious if it gets better.

Probably around 6.5/10.

Pros:

-Gorgeous cinematography.
-Excellent audio and soundtrack.
-Good performances throughout.
-Acceptable ending imo.
-Awesome fight scene.
-Interesting, albeit obvious, symbolism and metaphors.

Cons:

-Not enough focus on the main plot.
-Some of the violence made me cringe, unnecessarily extreme at points.
-A bit too many moments where nothing happens.

Hope that gives you an idea. I much prefer Drive to this one overall.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A generous
-. I give Drive
-, Valhalla Rising
and Bronson

The biggest issue I found with this film is simply that the aesthetics didn't do that much for me and ended up being a little tiresome. I can appreciate the effort behind and the professionality in the direction of Refn but I see the movie trying to capture the same atmosphere again and again, it is just repetitive, in the use of its tricks as well.

On the other hand, the exploration of the story and characters is inconsistant, and chaotic, so it all comes to the aesthetic embellishment.

It's not that I hate it. In fact my feelings are more about associating it to a rather empty experience. When it ended my only thoughts were that I had spent 90 minutes doing absolutely nothing.

My other ratings for Refn are
for Bronson, one that is quite similar to the themes of this movie, but has an extraordinary lead acting so there is at least a point of interest in that; and a surprising
for Valhalla Rising, its atmosphere really worked on me, I kind of believe that it is very similar to what I would feel if Aguirre, the wrath of God had worked on me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Probably around 6.5/10.

Pros:

-Gorgeous cinematography.
-Excellent audio and soundtrack.
-Good performances throughout.
-Acceptable ending imo.
-Awesome fight scene.
-Interesting, albeit obvious, symbolism and metaphors.

Cons:

-Not enough focus on the main plot.
-Some of the violence made me cringe, unnecessarily extreme at points.
-A bit too many moments where nothing happens.

Hope that gives you an idea. I much prefer Drive to this one overall.
This. You hit right on the head. I was about to do a mini-review until I realized you pretty much did it for me.

I rated it
immediately after I saw it. Now that I've thought about it more, I rate it

It's decent, just not something I would quite enjoy if I gave it a rewatch, unless I feel like dragging people by the roof of their mouth.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Only God Forgives belongs alongside Terrence Malick's also 2013 film To the Wonder. Both films are, to this point, the stylistic extremes of their authors, but also the clear and deliberate product of their creators' vision. The fact that they illicit such mixed responses proves that each film further develops the singular vision of the director. Both films are logical stylistic advances for each director and reasonably determine whether you like the director, or one of their films.