Archer's Ongoing Favorite Films List

Tools    

That's awesome and it's precisely what I study. I'll be graduating and in LA (in Chicago now) within a year. When you make it out there, hit me up. We'll try and put something together.
And if you ever find yourself in the Sacramento area, the same!

Favorite Film 10
Artificial Intelligence
Dir. Steven Spielberg

Among film addicts A.I. seems to split people down to middle. What was going to be Kubrick's next project was passed over to Spielberg personally and some found their two distinct styles didn't mesh well. Especially the sentimental, tear-jerking ending, which many blamed was Spielberg's fault, when they couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, the ending we see in A.I. was Kubrick's original vision, and not Spielberg's contribution. Working closely from the wealth of information and research Kubrick left in Spielberg's hands, the resulting film was nothing short of fascinating. This may be one of Spielberg's most challenging and underrated pictures, but I found it to be a breathtaking, visionary, and fascinating motion picture. It contains some of the greatest sequences of Spielberg's career, one of John William's greatest scores, and it never fails to move me to tears every time I watch it. Haley Joel Osment gives a phenomenal performance (notice the subtle transformation of his facial expression after his 'mother' has read him the list of words (which were specifically picked by kubrick)). This is also one of the director's darkest efforts, a fairy tale, but one for adults only. There are so many grand sights to behold, from the moon on the rise, to Rouge City (filled with Kubrickian imagery) to the flesh fair, which brings back memories of some robot holocaust. Jude Law is also terrific as Gigalo Joe, hugely charismatic and always great to watch. Ultimately, A.I. doesn't get enough credit, because even beneath the seamless , eye-popping, special effects, there is an underlying powerful story of love. A tragic, dark, but visionary masterpiece (I'm sure many will disagree.) A.I. is the best film of Spielberg's post 2000 career. (Check out the bluray if you can, it raises the film to a whole new level.) I just love this film.
EDIT: I must correct my 10 Favorite before the list is official. I forgot a film that is above-all in my top 5. Can't believe I didn't remember. So forget this post! Though it would still be in my top 20. I love A.I.

Favorite Film 10
Last Year at Marienbad
Dir. Alain Renais

Better write up later. But this is another all-time favorite that is essential viewing. Deliciously ambiguous and unforgettable. Featuring some the most brilliant cinematography and shot composition in cinematic history. A feast for the senses. Black and white has never been so sumptuous. More later.

^YES! I freaking love this movie, it gets better and better with each viewing.

^YES! I freaking love this movie, it gets better and better with each viewing.
It's infuckincredible. Criterion Bluray yum.

Favorite Film 11
Affliction
Dir. Paul Schrader

I happened to come across this film on Netflix while looking for a film to watch, as one would usually do while browsing Netflix. I decided to watch Affliction, as I had always heard how great it was and was always curious to see it. What I discovered was a fascinating and fantastic film, and I blame myself for taking so long to watch it. A bleak and harrowing experience which at first seems to be a character study of an alcoholic father doing his best. Soon it turns into an unflinching look at a man with a deteriorating psycho. Wade, played by Nick Nolte, gives the performance of his career. James Coburn earned his oscar for best supporting for playing an powerful monster of a human being. Spacek once again is a great, gentle, touching, presence throughout. After the film ended I couldn't get out of my mind, it haunted me in a way I haven't been in a long time. I watched it again the next day, and it got even better. Affliction is always tops when it comes to Schrader and the brilliant editing and uses of different film stock to portray flashbacks, and Wades imagination. Do yourself a favor and watch Affliction, it's a bitter pill to swallow, but the lasting effects are hard to shake. Brilliant.

Favorite Film 12
I Am Love (2009)
Dir. Luca Guadagnino

I Am Love is an opulent feast for the senses. At once deliciously melodramatic, tragic, sensual, and passionate. It's also passionate film making by director Guadagino, using rapturous visuals, expert editing, and a masterful control over sound/visual timing. A love scene among a field of flowers, intercuting images of flesh and insects and nature. It's truly one of the greatest love scenes ever filmed. Then of course, we have the sublime, scarily talented, beautiful, Tilda Swinton in the central role. She is, once again, a fascinating actress to watch and probably my favorite one. She gives one of the finest performances of her career, having learned to speak fluent Russian and Italian just for the role, she's nothing short of mesmerizing. Finally, there is the musical score composed from the works of John Adams which elevates the experience even further. A true work of art, a perfectly measured melodrama, and a five course meal for the senses.

Not Enough Time
Favorite Film 4

Magnolia (1999)
Dir. Paul Thomas Anderson
...... simply youtube 'Magnolia Pharmacy Scene'.
agreed. win. love Julianne Moore in this scene.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

My list or a particular film?
I was speaking about Last Year at Marienbad, but I think your whole list is great so far. The movies I've seen from it, were extremely good and the other ones seem very interesting.

Where can I find Last Year at Marienbad?
Criterion Bluray (though out of stock) can be found on Amazon for sale and I think they are bringing it back.

It's also available on netflix.

Or by other means...

Favorite Film 13
Belle De Jour
Dir. Luis Bunuel

An expertly crafted, surreal, erotic, psycho-sexual masterpiece by a master director Luis Bunuel. Both accessible, and equally brain- teasing, Catherine Deneuve gives a striking and demanding performance. Bunuel mixes reality with fantasy, dreams, and nightmares seamlessy. It's also one of the most effectively erotic films ever made, and you never see any actual sex or nudity. Further proving that what is left to the imagination is far more titillating (and in some cases here unsettling), then seeing any explicit sexual acts. One of my very top films. A near-masterpiece made with a true technique of film making that is rarely, if ever, seen today.
And Marcel remains one of the sexiest characters in any film ever. Drool.

Based on what little exposure to him I have, my favorite Bunuel. Love this movie, definitely one of the best films I've first seen this year.

Based on what little exposure to him I have, my favorite Bunuel. Love this movie, definitely one of the best films I've first seen this year.
It's my favorite Bunuel as well, and cheers to your avatar. Silencio.

NOTE: As this will now be an ongoing list, favorite horror and documentaries will now be posted as well.

Sorry for the hiatus guys. Been going through hell and back thanks to my mental disabilities and such. A lot of hospital and doctor visits. Was almost committed. But I'm hear now! And I'm going to get this going.

When it comes to bleak realism, the Dardenne Brothers reign supreme. Rosetta is no exception. It's a bleak affair, but it's also essential viewing for all film buffs. It's so realistic in fact, you feel as if you simply an invisible observer. Winner of three Cannes including the Palme d'or , and Best Actress for Emillie Dequee (her first role mind you) were well deserved. Rosetta is a film of such power that it even changed laws so that the doomed characters in the film may have hope in reality. Some may find this film dull, but give it a try, and you'll find yourself both fascinated, depressed, and fully enraptured.