Late 70's or early 80's movie can't remember the title

Tools    

I was very young when i saw this movie and very few bits and pieces of it stuck with me..the most memorable part was a man who had lived *wild* so long that he was animalistic and when they found him he was sooo filthy and hadn't bathed in soooo long that they practically had to *skin* the clothes off of him to bathe him.

Does anyone have a clue what this movie is?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Was it a man or a boy?

(1984, color) Down and Out in Beverly Hills, (1986, color)
(1970, B&W, in French)

None of those are the one i'm thinking of. Although Greystoke Tarzan comes the closest.

It had a very dark feel to the movie (almost like Ladyhawke) and for the life of me I can't remember if this is supposed to have been set in the middle ages or the wild west! I just remember staying up late and watching it when my mom and dad fell asleep.

If it helps at all it was a woman bathing the man I'm pretty sure on that part. I think the man was dressed in furs...

Nope, not the Fisher King..this was a much older movie..now that I'm racking my brain on this..it could easily have been from the 60's.

I remember the man was either dark blonde or light brown with shaggy hair and beard..almost a grizzly adams looking guy.

I wish I could remember more details, but that's the part that stuck in my mind. I watched it on video in the 80's...trying to remember more details for you.

I think that the man had been banished or perhaps held prisoner and that was why he was in the condition he was in? Or perhaps he chose to live like a hermit....ugh...

The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser?

German film directed by Werner Herzog from 1974. The "being held prisoner" line is what makes me think this may be it.

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Isn't there a scene like that in Little Big Man Mark? When Jack (Dustin Hoffman) is captured by the US Cavalry and given over to the Pendrakes?

Crap. Now I want to go and watch it. Such a great flick.

nope that's not it either, although that looks interesting I may have to check it out!

Thanks alot for all the help by the way....It drives me crazy when I get something stuck in my head and can't remember!

It drives me crazy when I get something stuck in my head and can't remember!
I think that drives everyone a little crazy, probably why people here are so eager to help.

Dustin Hoffman is a genius! But no that's not it either..think older!...

I remember alot of shots in the movie are in the woods...it seems cold most of the film..perhaps wintertime. But the most vivid memory is of the man and woman in a room...it's a shot of the man from the back. She is literally peeling the filthy clothes from his back and it looks like she's probably taking a few layers of skin with it because they're so stuck to him.

It's probably going to come to me tomorrow while driving down the road and then I'll forget again when i have something to write it down with!

Man in the Wilderness

Is it possible that it's this movie? I'm just not sure..but I don't think it was a western that I saw..although I was very young and could be remembering wrong...only thing to do is find the movie and watch it i guess