Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back -

Man, there is a lot of blue-and-orange contrast going on in that whole third act.

Black Mass (2015)

Johnny Depp delivers one of his best performances as sadistic Irish gangster Whitey Bulger in this intense crime drama co-starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Joel Edgerton, Kevin Bacon, and Dakota Johnson.

It's a nice return to form for Depp, who I believe deserves some kind of Award recognition for his performance, and a cool modern gangster movie.

Miss Julie (1951)

I don't think I've seen many Swedish films, if any at all, besides those directed by Ingmar Bergman. I just randomly plucked this one off the Cannes' award winners list for the eventual 50's countdown.

The mischievous daughter of a count has a relationship with one of the servants, and they recall some childhood memories together. I thought the movie started lightheartedly, but it gets a little more complicated and serious, and I thought it ended up being a good mix. The performances are very good, especially from the two main characters, and it's an easy 90 minute watch. I didn't quite love it, but I thought it was pretty good, good enough that I think it could at least make a run at the 50's list if enough of the right crowd sees it.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Tabu

Good stuff. Features the best man vs. nature moment I've seen since Herzog's Cobra Verde.

Spoiler: Nature wins

That kinda stinks. Most of the reviews have been dancing around that it is beautiful, but maybe not much else.
For me the plot is mildly intriguing, and I liked the ending. I'd say it is worth going to see and you'll probably like it better knowing that it's not supposed to be very scary going in.

Saw this with my girlfriend on date night. The film is pretty scary. Not so much for me, but the GF was scared. Which is great for me cuz she likes to get extra close to me during the scary bits. The film has legitimate atmosphere, WONDERFUL sets, a great cast, appropriate use of CGI, and has a great premise. Though I think the plot unfolded just a little too slowly for me. I would have preferred to have certain elements of the plot gotten to a little quicker, but ultimately it still a great movie. It was certainly a film worth while to see in the theater.

One of my favorites of his as well
Yeah, it's a great one. I'm probably underrating it a bit. My favorite at the moment is An Autumn Afternoon. It might not be his "greatest" film, but it's the one that I adore the most.

Letter from an unknown woman
-

Wow, this was a really magnificent picture. They really don't make em' like they used to.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible

Letter from an unknown woman
-

Wow, this was a really magnificent picture. They really don't make em' like they used to.
Great film!!! Glad you liked it Lucas!

Love that flick! one of the most underrated gem of the decade imo

The Recuers Down Under (1990)
rewatch

The sequel to the 1977 original was one of my favorites as a kid and this makes it my second rewatch in my adulthood. I was slightly disappointed last time, but it held up better this time around, despite not exactly being Disney at their best and most revolutionary.

'The Recuers Down Under' was released in unfortunate times and under unlucky circumstances, since it was put out in the midst of the Disney Renaissance and was the first ever sequel in the classic line that started in 1939. But that doesn't make it a bad movie, it just can't compete or should even be compared with what came right before or after it.

The original 1977 film is one of my all-time favorites, even as of today, and while this doesn't reach the same heights, it travels down under instead and awards us with something a little special after all. It isn't as heartfelt or touching or epic as other Disney flicks, but it's arguably more fun and free from any form or formal story. This brings a simple story but takes it on a wild ride through the Australian outback. Disney actually used some new visual techniques here, with realistic background blur for example and great depth and sense of movement, and it had a great, memorable and fitting soundtrack as well!

The villain was cool too, while the side characters were so-so. Some of the scenes with Wilbur was quite funny though, especially the operating scenes and that little lizard, Frank, had his moments despite of looking clichéd at first. But we all know this is about Bernard and Bianca and their great returning voice actors! Bernard's side story about proposing was fun and sweet and he has great screen presence. Bianca is prettier than ever here and continues to be just about the closest Disney ever got to make the audience fall in love with a female mouse or any other animal for that matter. Seriously guys, come on, she's fine as hell!

Anyways, this sequel was worthy enough of its predecessor and just about good enough to be a Disney classic, though I wouldn't mind if it wasn't; especially since that would make it a truly great "unofficial" sequel instead of a passable Disney Classic. Nevertheless, a fun little film about big adventures that could've come out at a better time and under better circumstances...

+

Agreed. I was tearing up throughout the entire film. Not because it was sad, but because it was so beautiful and moving.
Yeah, definitely. I've turned into a real baby recently when it comes to watcching films, but Ford just knows how to make moments so powerful and great, fascinating to see it as Ford's personal vision, similar in some ways to Young Mr. Lincoln I thought.

Some great films being watched by you recently. I saw Spring in a Small Town earlier in the year and thought that it was great. Need to watch more Ophuls and Murnau myself.

American Sniper (2014)

+

This was an excellent movie but I thought it lacked a little bit of personality. The guy is a hero but the character had a bland personality, and I don't think that translates to film very well. I also think the movie would've benefitted from another standout character or performance besides Bradley Cooper, who was phenomenal. I'm nitpicking a little bit because I thought it was terrific, but I just wanted more.

The Andromeda Strain (1971) re-watch

Saw this ages ago, so didn't quite remember every detail except for the town that was infected with "something" and what it did to the people of that town. Well, I'm glad I watched again as it was quite a bit more than that. A space satellite returns to earth with an alien virus that kills everyone in a small desert town except for an old man and an infant. Three leading scientists and a doctor are sent below ground to a giant science facility to try to make sure the virus will not spread, to figure out why the two survivors lived, and what made the victims' bodies end up in the shape they did, among many questions.

The scientists also have their own problems that could put everything at risk. You'd think a movie where scientists are testing theories below ground would be a dull experience but it's not the case at all. It's very fascinating and the personalities of the four experts are diverse and their differences make for entertaining interplay. They are played by Arthur Hill, David Wayne, James Olson and Kate Reid, who, as the lone female scientist, is keeping a secret that almost jeopardizes the whole endeavor. Reid is quite often hilarious with her sarcastic remarks and complaints and takes the acting honors. Despite the fact that scientific-type movies tend to bore me, this film never did. There is a down-to-the-wire time count, the end game of which I won't reveal but it makes everything all the more tense. Very much recommended.

Exodus: Gods and Kings (2014)

Disappointing but still watchable take on the story of Moses and the Exodus from Egypt. As someone who has read the Bible several times over and is a Christian, I came to this movie from that viewpoint. Writers Adam Cooper, Bill Collage, Jeffrey Caine, and Steven Zallian, and director Ridley Scott make wholesale changes that make no sense to me. They have Moses (Christian Bale) encountering God, who is portrayed as a young, ill-tempered boy??? According to Scripture, whether you be Christian or Jewish, Moses could not even look upon the face of God, hence the reason for the burning bush. Here, they do have the burning bush, but then the little boy just tramps out and starts his relationship with Moses, which amounts to a lot of arguing between the two. Moses didn't second-guess God, so this makes no sense. In this film, Moses also doesn't receive word from God that plagues are going to be visited upon Egypt so that Moses can warn Egypt and say, "Let my people go." Moses and his brother Aaron directly had a hand in this, laying down Moses' shepherd's staff, with the plagues showing up immediately. Here, the God/child just tells Moses "Wait and see," and the plagues come without giving Egypt a chance (Pharaoh would refuse anyway, but the omission of Pharaoh telling Moses "no" removes any tension and also removes the chance after chance that God gave Egypt before releasing plagues upon them). In Scott's film, things just happen, yes, by God's hand, but without Moses' involvement. Moses, in Scripture, played a major part in all these happenings---here he's just reduced to a witness for most of the film. Plus, there are several huge action set-pieces that are added out of the blue, seemingly to satiate the hunger of action lovers (of which I'm one, but even I knew that half of Pharaoh's army falling off a cliff in their chariots was made up for no good reason).

Then we have the cast. I will say that almost everyone did a fine job of acting in this, albeit using the usual British that a lot of these epics employ. That's why one of my favorite actresses, Sigourney Weaver, really stands out poorly when she doesn't even try to employ an accent and uses her everyday New York voice in a dramatic scene that is so jarring it made me laugh out loud. In the final tally, this is a watchable movie, with an over-reliance on action and yes, explosions! Still, I didn't hate it.

The Blue Gardenia (1953)

Not bad film noir with Anne Baxter as a recently jilted woman who goes on a date with a pushy Raymond Burr, whose character gets her drunk and tries to have his way with her. When he ends up dead (no spoiler, any description of the movie will tell you that), she is filled with guilt and uncertainty: did she kill him? She has no memory of the deed. A newspaperman, played by Richard Conte, puts a column in his paper, offering to help her if she'll come to him and tell her story. Which is difficult for her, as her memory is muddled and she doesn't know who to trust. Anne Sothern lends fine support as one of Baxter's roommates who tries to help her out, and Nat 'King' Cole has a nice moment singing the title song. You'll know from the get-go who most likely did the killing but it's still entertaining getting to that point.