atclubsilencio's thread of horror.

Tools    

Being that it is my favorite genre and all, and since I've seen thousands from mainstream to obscure. Here is my thread of essential horror films everyone shall see, in my opinion.

First coming up. Some will be obvious choices, others not so much.

Enjoy!

Still waiting to be assigned a Christmas character.

It's rare that I would describe a film as a flawless masterpiece in every sense of the words, but Spoorloos is exactly that. It's perfect. A disturbing, expertly crafted, exploration into the banality of evil. Spoorloos isn't flat out horror as it is a psychological chiller. And man is it chilling. It all winds up to one of the most shocking endings in the history of cinema, and one that will stick with you for days and nights for a very long time. Do not let this one pass you by under any circumstances. And go in blindly if you can.

Fire away...I'm a fan too and I like discussing horror films, both good and bad.

Excellent start. The scene there at the end is pretty terrifying, as is watching the planning of the crime.
And that chilling scream by the woman...

Inside is like nothing else before it. It has an atmosphere all its own, and most of all, makes graphic, gory, and I mean GORY violence actually frightening. This is probably due to the deliciously creepy sound design and all around mood. Anyone who is pregnant should stay far away, very far. Sure, it may verge on silliness around the ending, but Inside is such an overwhelming and disturbing and quite awesome experience that you wont soon forget it. Beatrice Dalle is also great as the villain simply named Femme. Plus, you'll never quite look at sewing needles quite the same again.

Prank is one of the best films of the year. I liked it so much I even got into touch with the director and got a signed poster for it. What starts out as a harmless prank, with hilarious banter. soon things begin to go in a complexly different direction. I was constantly surprised, shocked, and in marvel of its cleverness,

Definitely check this one out, it's a true overlooked gem of the year.

What is the most frightening? Ghosts? Aliens? Monsters? Or is the destruction of your family of whom you love starting to crumble to the point of insanity the true fear? This is what Exhibit A presents, and it turns out to be an unsettling and deeply disturbing film, with nary a ghost or monster or anything supernatural involved. It may sound boring, but it's anything but. Exhibit A is another film I'll never forget. The last 20 or so minutes shook me to the core. Plus the performances from unknowns are great, making the authenticity more palpable. Yeah, unleass you want to watch something happy, skip this. If you want an effective film about the falling out and building madness of a father. Check this one out, it's one of a kind. Just don't expect any happy feelings when it's over.

Unregistered User
Looking forward to this thread. I loved Spoorloos, Inside and Wolf Creek but ive yet to see the others, added to my watchlist though. Fire ahead...

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!
I haven't seen any of them yet. But, I've been adding them to my to-be-watched list.

Bedeviled is a tricky film to describe. I watched it going with with absolutely no knowledge as to what it was about, but I'm certainly glad I did. It's a sad story that pummels the audience for an hour plus with abuse, sexual abuse, some rape, and just plain cruelty inflicted on a woman who never fights back. Her friend, who is strong but has not been back to the island of which the two grew up on comes to visit and she acts as a silent witness to the atrocities inflicted onto her friend. Luckily, it all builds to one of the most cathartic explosions of blood shed that is as satisfying as it is graphically visceral. Bedeviled is a haunting, depressing, but oddly satisfying experience. I absolutely loved this film. (May still be available on netflix.)

Great pick with Bedevilled. Such a powerful, brilliant ending.
I totally, completely, concur. I knew it would happen eventually, and it really didn't disappoint. Powerful and brilliant indeed.

What can be said about Martyrs? Well, a lot can be said, but it would require a long conversation and debates. It's a love it or hate it experience, and yet at the same time I'm completely split on it. It's a horror film one endures rather than enjoys, admires rather than loves, angers rather than satisfies, and yet there seems something totally essential about it. Essential for horror buffs. You really aren't a true horror buff until you've... experienced it. It's relentless, and features some of the most intense and insanely graphic gore and torture I've ever seen. I'm not a squeamish person, rarely if ever can I not watch something do to violence (even real violence on the internet.) Maybe I'm desensitized, but with Martyrs I had to look away at a couple places. Notice I'm not going into the story much, because it's best to go in knowing only the basics. But let's just say you will get two types of horror in one, and you'll never forget it. "keep doubting"