Musicals

Tools    

Well, to be honest, Roserosie, the reason I feel ambivalent about the story behind The Sound of Music is because, while Captain Von Tropp, who'd worked for the Nazis for a long time, until he became fully aware of what the Nazis really stood for and what they were doing and decided to take his family over the mountains to escape to Switzerland, it also turned out that the Swiss, too, were pretty horrible--very anti-Jewish in that respect. So, being Jewish, although I've seen TSOM afew times and enjoyed it, the behaviour on the part of the Swiss sort of dwarfs the fact that Captn von Tropp did a good thing by taking his family over the Alps and into Switzerland to escape the Nazis. Hope I've been of some help here.
I hear you on that, I'm also Jewish and although the film definitely touches onto some sensitive issues for me, it's more the story of the family that gets me. That and I absolutely ADORE Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer!

Here's some I really love some of them one might call cheats.

ALL THAT JAZZ
SINGIN IN THE RAIN
42nd STREET
ANCHORS AWEIGH
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
OCEAN'S ELEVAN
WEST SIDE STORY
THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT 1,2 AND 3
THE LAST WALTZ
FLASHDANCE
FOOTLOOSE
STREETS OF FIRE
CRY BABY
THAT THING YOU DO
THE BLUE BROTHERS
HAPPY FEET
SILK STOCKINGS
NEW YORK, NEW YORK
THE RED SHOES
THE BAND WAGON
PARTY GIRL
PINK FLOYD THE WALL
GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES

Fame, Cabaret, Kiss Me Kate, etc.

One of the best muicals from the 1950s
Another great one from that general period, Damn Yankees! A musical about a baseball fan who sells his soul to the devil for the chance to defeat the too-often successful New York Yankees baseball team!

And there's also The Bells Are Ringing about a girl employed at a telephone answering service (back before the days of answering machines and word messages) who keeps getting involved in the lives of her clients.

Another great one from that general period, Damn Yankees! A musical about a baseball fan who sells his soul to the devil for the chance to defeat the too-often successful New York Yankees baseball team!
And in a couple of years, you'll be able to watch the remake.

Semper Fooey
And in a couple of years, you'll be able to watch the remake.
I didn't know they were remaking that. I just looked that up. The announced casting doesn't excite me and no crucial Lola signed yet.

Put me in your pocket...
I love musicals! I especially love anything Rogers & Hammerstein. Also Judy Garland, Julie Andrews, Gene Kelley, Liza Minnelli, and various other artists.

I know there are alot of musicals that I haven't seen though. Do any of you have some favorite musicals or know of any good ones out there? I could make a list of the ones I've seen, but that would take a while. Would appreciate any suggestions.
I'm curious which of Judy Garland's movies you seen. It's hard to know what to recommend if you've already seen them.

Have you seen For Me and My Gal or The Pirate with Gene Kelly? How about The Ziegfeld Girl, The Ziegfeld Follies, In The Good Old Summertime or the Mickey & Judy movies like Girl Crazy?

Yes yes yes ...yep nope haven't seen Girl Crazy! I have to check that one out! I liked Mickey and Judy, but I've really not checked alot of those movies out.

Put me in your pocket...
Yes yes yes ...yep nope haven't seen Girl Crazy! I have to check that one out! I liked Mickey and Judy, but I've really not checked alot of those movies out.
Of the Mickey/Judy movies I liked Girl Crazy (she looks beautiful and there are some great tunes) and Babes on Broadway are my favorites (interesting to hear Judy's take on "Good Morning" and Mickey spoof's Carman Miranda...my memory might be fading though ).

How about some of the early musicals of the 30's? Have you seen the Gold Diggers of 1933 or 42nd Street?

A person is smart. People are dumb
Singin' in the Rain as an ultimate favourite. Only problem being that most of the good numbers are in the first half, meaning that when I saw the live show the second half was a little less stunning.
Oliver!: Starred in a production of this as Fagin and loved it. A shame that a number of great songs are omitted from the film version.
The Blues Brothers: Possesses an almost drunken energy which matches the amazing songs and the guest stars.
West Side Story: Admittedly not as big a fan of this one, and I'm unsure why. I do enjoy several of the songs, however, and the choreography is nothing short of genius.
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: Apart from "Bless your Beautiful Hide" wasn't really enraptured by any of the songs here... but was completely converted by the astounding Social Dance and the Barnraising sequences.
Moulin Rouge!: Please don't shoot me, but I actually have this film's version of "Your Song" on my iPod rather than the Elton John original.
The Wizard of Oz: What needs to be said? Visually and muscially incredible.
Sweeney Todd: Has it's faults, but is at least a different story than other muscials. Plus, "A Little Priest" remains my favourite duet of all.
Hairspray: The closing number, "You Can't Stop the Beat". Say what you will, show me any opera star you wish, but no-one - and I mean NO-ONE - can belt it out like a large, buxom black woman.

How can you fail to mention the rocky horror picture show

How can you fail to mention the rocky horror picture show
The Rocky Horror Picture Show was listed twice in previous posts...

Rocky Horror Picture Show
Rocky Horror Picture Show

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Semper Fooey
There is clip of this on youtube that is much better quality, but it consistently halts, while this one always plays smooth. It's from Murder at the Vanities, 1934.

This a jaw dropping number because of what she is singing about. The singer later claimed she though it was a reference to a Mexican musical instrument.

&feature=related