Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Breathless (1960)

I've watched a few movies recently that I didn't like, but at least I didn't dislike them. I may be able to understand the appeal of some movies, and simply chalk up my indifference to taste. I actually disliked this movie. First off, it doesn't offer up anything in the way of tension, emotion, thrills, or humor, but my big issue is the main character. I went into this thinking that this was supposed to be a cool movie with a cool lead character. This guy couldn't have been more uncool. I like rooting for the bad guys, but this guy is just such a slimy weasel with no balls, that it makes it impossible. His attempts to act cool have the reverse affect, and he acts desperate with women. I was wondering if maybe Europeans and Americans just look at these things differently? This movie should have had a badass character as it's centerpiece; instead it has a dork.

I think Breathless and it's main character is in a way a satire of the cool American noir characters that always do thinks correctly and end up with the girl, Belmondo wants to think he's this superhero cop killing guy in a suit who will out run the police, but from the off it's inevitable that he won't, and there's a great impending doom that goes with his naivety.

I think Breathless and it's main character is in a way a satire of the cool American noir characters that always do thinks correctly and end up with the girl, Belmondo wants to think he's this superhero cop killing guy in a suit who will out run the police, but from the off it's inevitable that he won't, and there's a great impending doom that goes with his naivety.
I would have more respect for the movie if that's the case, or if he was a delusional sociopath, which he was, but then I think there should be some tension. It just came off to me as the director saying look at what a cool movie and character we have here, and that didn't work for me.

Fair enough, at least you give it a go which is always great to see. I don't know how you'd fare with Godard's other work, I haven't seen much, but I do love them. Much different to Breathless though which is relatively straightforward in terms of narrative and style, whilst the others are more personal and transcendent.

I'm also looking forward to what you think of L'Avventura because I watched that recently too. I'm feeling and hoping for a respectable 2.5 and look forward to your comments, but anything more would be great, because it isn't the most accessable, but with all the different type of films your watching, I think you'll find it at least interesting

Body Double (1984)

I love nearly everything associated with the 80s, so it's no surprise that this was right up my alley! Fantastic soundtrack and atmosphere + a plethora of b00bs and hot girls who refuse to shave their bush (we need these back!), all in glorious 80s style. What's not to love? In all seriousness, this is the perfect film to watch on a hot summer night, with only your underpants on.

This is a masterpiece of erotica and De Palma is a cinematic master. Love the fact that he loves Hitchcock even more than himself (so many references to Rear Window and Vertigo that I simply lost count), and the film is kind of sleazy and sometimes even hilarious, but it knows it. Just fantastic.

Fair enough, at least you give it a go which is always great to see. I don't know how you'd fare with Godard's other work, I haven't seen much, but I do love them. Much different to Breathless though which is relatively straightforward in terms of narrative and style, whilst the others are more personal and transcendent.

I'm also looking forward to what you think of L'Avventura because I watched that recently too. I'm feeling and hoping for a respectable 2.5 and look forward to your comments, but anything more would be great, because it isn't the most accessable, but with all the different type of films your watching, I think you'll find it at least interesting
I'm putting that on now. I certainly don't want to crap on other people's favorites; there's favorites of mine that I would be surprised if other people liked.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Breathless is pretty good for Godard. He's still making movies, but it's the best one I've seen, so if you don't like it, I think you should steer clear of the rest. I probably should have too but it's too late now.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Dances With Wolves >>>>> Goodfellas
Both
mehs.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I agree with everything you said BlueLion, but one thing:
this is the perfect film to watch on a hot summer night, with only your underpants on
Why on?

Is that the original version of The Hitcher? Surely not.
The Remake is better in my opinion Sophia Bush

Breathless (1960)

I've watched a few movies recently that I didn't like, but at least I didn't dislike them. I may be able to understand the appeal of some movies, and simply chalk up my indifference to taste. I actually disliked this movie. First off, it doesn't offer up anything in the way of tension, emotion, thrills, or humor, but my big issue is the main character. I went into this thinking that this was supposed to be a cool movie with a cool lead character. This guy couldn't have been more uncool. I like rooting for the bad guys, but this guy is just such a slimy weasel with no balls, that it makes it impossible. His attempts to act cool have the reverse affect, and he acts desperate with women. I was wondering if maybe Europeans and Americans just look at these things differently? This movie should have had a badass character as it's centerpiece; instead it has a dork.
I had much the same reaction cricket. I know it is an old film but the editing was really distracting to me and didn't help my viewing. I rated it half a star higher, there were a couple scenes I enjoyed.

Body Double (1984)

I love nearly everything associated with the 80s, so it's no surprise that this was right up my alley! Fantastic soundtrack and atmosphere + a plethora of b00bs and hot girls who refuse to shave their bush (we need these back!), all in glorious 80s style. What's not to love? In all seriousness, this is the perfect film to watch on a hot summer night, with only your underpants on.

This is a masterpiece of erotica and De Palma is a cinematic master. Love the fact that he loves Hitchcock even more than himself (so many references to Rear Window and Vertigo that I simply lost count), and the film is kind of sleazy and sometimes even hilarious, but it knows it. Just fantastic.
I whole heartily agree! This movie was fantastic! My second favorite De Palma behind Dressed to Kill! I gave it the same ranking too!

Let the night air cool you off
I had much the same reaction cricket. I know it is an old film but the editing was really distracting to me and didn't help my viewing. I rated it half a star higher, there were a couple scenes I enjoyed.
The editing is one of my favorite things about Breathless

L'Avventura (1960)

This continues a strange pattern for me this month with solid 60's classics that impress me, but that I'm rather indifferent to. These movies have included The Exterminating Angel, Doctor Zhivago, Belle de Jour, The Guns of Navarone, La Notte, La Dolce Vita, and now this one. I've liked all of these to some extent, but none have stood out to me for whatever reason.

That's actually a higher rating than I thought you would give it, cricket.