Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The context was: I was recommending art films to Raul, therefore, it has do to with the other films you mentioned that it's also an art film. At least something that is usually considered as such. Therefore, that is what it has to do with the other films I mentioned.

See? I wasn't talking out of context.

The context was: I was recommending art films to Raul, therefore, it has do to with the other films you mentioned that it's also an art film. At least something that is usually considered as such. Therefore, that is what it has to do with the other films I mentioned.

See? I wasn't talking out of context.
I think this full exchange has been a clusterfudge of misunderstandings

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Tenant

This ones an oddity. There are some good scenes, but it's a rather clunky and awkward film. Roman Polanski's acting is't up to snuff, so it's hard to take him seriously as the film's main character. Not awful, but extremely weak compared to most of his other films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
We've got a discussion about The Tenant here. I don't recall if I've mentioned it to you before.

Finished here. It's been fun.
We've got a discussion about The Tenant here. I don't recall if I've mentioned it to you before.
Neat. I'll check the thread out, hope to see some other people's opinions on the film.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

While Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief wasn't able to reach the pinnacle of success for young-adult book movie-adaptations in the same breath as Harry Potter or the Hunger Games, it wasn't a complete and utter failure. It is certainly an improvement over movies such as Beautiful Creatures, The Mortal Instruments, and Eragon, which also yearned to achieve the same successes. At the very least, it had enough going for it that they had enough faith for a sequel, bringing the cast back together, and trying for an adaptation of the positive received novel of the same name. I watched this movie for the first time immediately after watching the Lightning Thief, suggesting that I was at least somewhat entertained and amused by the characters. I went into it expecting gradual improvements from the previous movie, and I can't completely decide whether that is what I got or not.

There were one or two tweaks that were made in-preparation for the sequel, for starters, Chris Columbus left his position as director, still serving as a producer, while Thor Freudenthal took the reigns. He is evidently responsible for Hotel for Dogs and Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but I have never seen any of his work. They also added Leven Rambin and Douglas Smith to the cast. The gal known for a small role in The Hunger Games and the guy for his work on a show called Big Love. Sea of Monsters basically picks up where the first movie left off, Percy has more time under his belt with sharpening his claws, and they give us back-story on some of the camp history. I can tell you that there feels to be a gentler and less rushed feeling about the movie. The previous film felt as if it lacked a lot of the confidence that is necessary to be a success, and so, like a lot of others, it wanted to get the colorful eye-candy and visualizations on the screen and give the audience instant gratification.

Conversely, a movie franchise such as Harry Potter didn't really feel as if it made modifications to the story in an effort to have more time for the embroidery of the atmosphere, if that makes sense. Basically, Percy Jackson 2 feels more laid-back and gentle with the approach, and I appreciated that. You immediately meet the Clarisse La Rue character played by Leven Rambin, and honestly, there isn't a lot of depth to her. Honestly, it seems like the character is merely designed to annoy the audience, however, it isn't like Draco Malfoy, where she feels like an antagonist, but more like a character that you want to see killed off. As the minutes progress in the story, you'll be introduced to the new male character named Tyson, Percy Jackson's long-lost brother, who is a cyclops. I found him to be annoying, however, by the end of his movie, I don't completely hate him, which is something that I am thankful for.

After introducing these characters, I was terrified that they were going to regress to the campiest humor conceivable possibly and put the nail in the franchises' coffin before it has a chance to take off. However, barely, I do believe that this movie is an improvement over its predecessor. The movie doesn't feel nearly as allover the place and rushed as Lightning Thief, and while the two new characters are annoying, I believe that the movie is put together with more care than the last one. Sea of Monsters is mediocrity, but acceptable mediocrity because it has entertainment value. And so, as a conclusion, I will say that like the last movie, this is borderline average, however, I will say that they made gradual improvements as far as the structure goes. With this being said, I'll be waiting for The Titan's Curse.

Out of the Furnace

Not as good as I thought it'd be if I'm honest. Great cast, great shots and great acting but the story didn't offer anything new, nor anything spectacular. Thought they left a few things out of the narrative too, Bale's character hits a woman and child, and suddenly he's working in the mill and then even more suddenly he's in prison. They needed to flesh it out a little more, perhaps show the court case so the viewers know what's going on. The pacing was slow but that's not really the movie's problem, it just isn't interesting enough sadly. I will say I enjoyed it but I'll likely never go back and rewatch it. The acting from Bale, Whitaker, Harrelson and Affleck save this movie from being a disaster.

6/10

Unregistered User

Escape from LA. -
Obviously not as good as Escape from New York but it was still watchable.

The Spirit of the Beehive -
- Another great film from the 70's.

Review: "Boring. 3 hours long, almost nothing happens."
How's that any different to the LotR films? Or, probably, the previous Hobbit film?

Another good one is a 1929 silent art film, Un Chien Andalou, that is about half hour long.
It's half an hour, so you might want to check it out, but it'll feel a hell of a lot longer. However, if you do like it, try video installations.

If anything, I think is somebody is trying to get into art-house films something like The 400 Blows would be a perfect starting point. It can be enjoyed by all sorts of audiences. Just my 2 cents.
The 400 Blows is an excellent suggestion.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future

The Spirit of the Beehive -
- Another great film from the 70's.
Spirit of the Beehive is fantastic and will make an appearance on the 70s list hopefully. My current avatar is from Erice's other (greater?) masterpiece, The Quince Tree Sun.

Spirit of the Beehive is fantastic and will make an appearance on the 70s list hopefully. My current avatar is from Erice's other (greater?) masterpiece, The Quince Tree Sun.
I've always wondered is that supposed to be someone picking lemons? Or do i need glasses ?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I've always wondered is that supposed to be someone picking lemons? Or do i need glasses ?
It's from The Quince Tree Sun and it's of painter Antonio Lopez Garcia painting on the tree. Those are quinces, not lemons

Unregistered User
I'll add it to the watchlist, cheers Bluedeed.

Road to Perdition

Very well done with excellent performances from Hanks, Craig, and Law. I never watched it before because I thought it would drag a little; it didn't drag at all.

Watched the documentary "Fire in the Blood". It is about how Western Governments and Pharmaceutical companies overpriced life saving drugs to those in poorer countries in Africa. It follows a group of activists and what they have done to go against these atrocities and is very inspiring and powerful. Really is a must watch.

8/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

rauldc,
Bicycle Thieves (1948) is an 'art house' film you may appreciate.
i don't watch these types of thing much either.. that was a pretty good movie tho

How's that any different to the LotR films? Or, probably, the previous Hobbit film?
The previous Hobbit film was also a bore. The LotR films have a sense of grandeur and impending disaster and serious war and battle that make them great, the Hobbit films lack that greatness, sense of impending disaster and of a great journey to save the middle earth and so feel like very underwhelming and less interesting.

Remember that the LofR novel is 1,200 pages long, easily enough material for 10 hours of film, however, the Hobbit novel is about 1/4 of the size and they are making 8 hours of film into it. Too much, the Hobbit novel should haven been whole adapted into a single film of maximum 2.5 hours, to stay interesting. As a Brazilian film critic said of the first Hobbit film: too little butter for too much bread.

u want me 2 kill him ?

WHAT A MOVIE! Go into it blindly, the ending totally made my jaw drop.

4 out of 4