Most Overrated and underrated Directors

Tools    

I don't think Nolan is overrated. He made the greatest trilogy of all time in my opinion (I've not seen all the trilogies, but from those I've seen it's my favorite), he made gems like The Prestige, Inception and Memento. I have not seen Insomnia or Following, but all I've seen from him so far is fantastic.

I don't think Nolan is overrated. He made the greatest trilogy of all time in my opinion (I've not seen all the trilogies, but from those I've seen it's my favorite), he made gems like The Prestige, Inception and Memento. I have not seen Insomnia or Following, but all I've seen from him so far is fantastic.
Look, this kind of statements are the reason why people are saying he's overrated!

He's definitely an above average filmmaker, in my opinion. After making a few critically acclaimed films (most notably Memento), he made the choice to go in a very commercial and action-based direction, flavored with some unusual "deep" and sentimental themes (although they are often presented as more substantive than they actually are, in my opinion) for typical Hollywood action blockbusters.
It made him one of the most popular and beloved directors with the masses and he now practically has the power to make anything he wants with any budget he wants. That an sich deserves at least some respect.

I think now is the time that he should make something that's ACTUALLY bold and profound, though. Something that will truly go into history as a 'masterpiece of cinema'. His upcoming film, Interstellar, seems like it could be that kind of project. We'll see.

I've enjoyed some of his films and have been irritated by others, but I'll definitely keep watching his next films, hoping that one day, he will surprise me with a film that I actually truly LOVE.

Finished here. It's been fun.
No matter what Nolan makes people will eat it up. The Dark Knight Rises has an 8.6 on IMDB, even though its only a decent film at best.
and thats being highly,highly generous.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh with my statements, but I just dont see anything that great about his films. When he makes something truly magnificent then maybe then I'll turn the other cheek and announce he's great. A couple of flashy blockbusters isn't enough to make him a great filmmaker.

Firstly, what makes you say films of these directors have no point? Maybe you just can't get and feel them. Besides even if there's no point in these pictures I can't understand why some people abhor style over substance films so much.
Secondly, how ignorant is it to say what certain directors should do. You don't know their intentions and they won't change their art only because some people dislike it. Art is art and movies are art. Films are not only about a linear storytelling, but also mood, pace, cinematography, music, directing and many other things.
Thirdly, what "not normal" movies do you like, may I ask?
Indeed. Tongo's school of though in film criticism is: If the film doesn't tell a story, and tells it clearly, it is not good. While I would agree that most great films have plots (because, statistically, 95% of all films are plot driven, hence, most great films tend to be plot driven), not all films need to have a clearly defined plot (The Mirror, completely plotless, is in my top 20, for instance, Persona, a bit less radical but still quite crazy, is in my top 30).

I read in the Ghibliblog that this preference for logical films among American film fans (since many of Miyazaki's films don't make sense, specially his late ones, Spirited Away, Howl's and Ponyo, have plots that are full of holes, Ghibli fans also like those non-logical films, My Neighbor Totoro doesn't have a plot even) maybe is fundamentally derived from the strict logical tradition of western civilization, that less logical stuff is more compatible with an Asian mindset. Although most anime is very much like most hollywood films in being strictly logical and well defined (maybe the product of a westernized and scientific modern Japan).

Modern art tends to favor the less rational in opposition to the crystal clear as well. Stuff like Mulholland Dr., while it's true it has some plot, it's not clearly presented if compared to traditional films (even Lynch's Dune, a film with a clearly presented but very complex plot).

No matter what Nolan makes people will eat it up. The Dark Knight Rises has an 8.6 on IMDB, even though its only a decent film at best.
Oh yeah, his films are the ones that most easily manipulate modern viewers into giving high ratings. According to the IMDB he is one of the top 5 best film directors ever, with Hitchcock, Kubrick, Miyazaki and Spielberg among the directors with the most films in the top 250. Clearly, he is far inferior to the other 4.

Maybe I was a bit too harsh with my statements, but I just dont see anything that great about his films. When he makes something truly magnificent then maybe then I'll turn the other cheek and announce he's great. A couple of flashy blockbusters isn't enough to make him a great filmmaker.
I agree that none of his films are really great. But his filmmaking is very "refined", very easy to watch, to follow and very entertaining. He produces a nice product for the audience even if it is not great art in any sense.

My favorites of his are Memento and Inception, two very good movies.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I agree that none of his films are really great. But his filmmaking is very "refined", very easy to watch, to follow and very entertaining. He produces a nice product for the audience even if it is not great art in any sense.
Exactly. But his fans believe he's some sort of genius and cinema god. Believing his films are profound and complex.

Which is pathetic really.

My favorites of his are Memento and Inception, two very good movies.
I wouldn't exactly call his filmmaking "very refined", as his films often befall me as kind of shattered and rough looking, but he does know how to make something look 'grand' and 'cool'. He has a certain vision that captures many people.

I think we all know who I think is the most overrated director.

WARNING: "Most Overrated Director" spoilers below
Tarantino
I find it really surprising that you don't like him. I would've thought his over-the-top style would be right up your alley.

I don't really consider myself a fan (I didn't like Jackie Brown and hated both Kill Bill movies) but think he's done some really good stuff. I know you hated Inglourious Basterds, but I thought it was a lot of fun. I also really enjoyed Django Unchained, Pulp Fiction and, to a lesser extent, Reservoir Dogs. True Romance (which he wrote but didn't direct) is also excellent.

I think we all know who I think is the most overrated director.

WARNING: "Most Overrated Director" spoilers below
Tarantino
While I have 3 of his movies in my top 200, I might agree that he is a bit overrated. I think that Nolan would be the most overrated among film buffs and that Goddard would be the most overrated among film critics.

Exactly. But his fans believe he's some sort of genius and cinema god. Believing his films are profound and complex.

I'm going to assume you know how silly and over-the-top the word "pathetic" is in this context and reply as if you said something a lot more thoughtful.

Not only is it not pathetic, but I can't even see how someone could insist, with a straight face, that The Prestige and Memento are neither profound nor complex. There are plenty of criticisms that could be leveled at both films, but simplistic and superficial aren't among them.

Look, this kind of statements are the reason why people are saying he's overrated!

He's definitely an above average filmmaker, in my opinion. After making a few critically acclaimed films (most notably Memento), he made the choice to go in a very commercial and action-based direction, flavored with some unusual "deep" and sentimental themes (although they are often presented as more substantive than they actually are, in my opinion) for typical Hollywood action blockbusters.
It made him one of the most popular and beloved directors with the masses and he now practically has the power to make anything he wants with any budget he wants. That an sich deserves at least some respect.

I think now is the time that he should make something that's ACTUALLY bold and profound, though. Something that will truly go into history as a 'masterpiece of cinema'. His upcoming film, Interstellar, seems like it could be that kind of project. We'll see.

I've enjoyed some of his films and have been irritated by others, but I'll definitely keep watching his next films, hoping that one day, he will surprise me with a film that I actually truly LOVE.
I think that a commercial, or an action based movie can be as good as a non commercial one. I really go believe that Nolan made some fantastic films and that regardless of their commercial success. That's why in my opinion he's not overrated. He has a great reputation, but deservedly so.

Nolan is not overrated what the hell ? XD

one who is actually very overrated is James Cameron in my opinion the only movie I like from him is Terminator 2 ...

Let's face it, the people who consider him to be the greatest director ever have very little knowledge of film. Thankfully, in this forum that is not the case.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yeah, Bluelion has the blunt truth about Nolan. Now, to name a director that is overrated even among those who know film, Ingmar Bergman.

It certainly is. If I rated a film that highly I'd really like it and/or have a great time with it.

one who is actually very overrated is James Cameron in my opinion the only movie I like from him is Terminator 2 ...
I'd agree with you on Cameron. However, you can't fault his desire and ability to push the technological limits of cinema. Whether you like it or care about it is another thing, but he constantly does it and, pretty much, has done since The Abyss.

Nolan is not overrated what the hell ? XD

I would not say he is overrated. Hasn't made a good movie since True Lies though.