(Almost) Every BP winner since 2000 ranked/tiered.

Tools    

1. No Country For Old Men
  2. Moonlight
  3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
  4. The Artist
  5. Birdman
  6. The Departed
  7. The King's Speech
  8. The Hurt Locker
  9. Slumdog Millionaire
  10. A Beautiful Mind
  11. 12 Years a Slave
  12. Argo
  13. Gladiator
  14. Spotlight
  15. Crash
  16. Chicago

Still haven't seen Million Dollar Baby. Bold indicates a new tier.

I preferred La La Land, but jesus, Moonlight was out of this world spectacular as well. What a year for movies.

Oh, substantive reply: I agree it was a good year for movies, in that so many of the nominees were good. I feel it was more good for breadth rather than height, though, in that I didn't think of many as particularly great.

I know I'm probably in a relative minority in that, though, as both Holden and Mark loved quite a few films this year.

Oh, substantive reply: I agree it was a good year for movies, in that so many of the nominees were good. I feel it was more good for breadth rather than height, though, in that I didn't think of many as particularly great.

I know I'm probably in a relative minority in that, though, as both Holden and Mark loved quite a few films this year.
I really believe La La Land is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen - could very possibly end up being my favorite movie of all time. That public opinion turned on it broke my heart a bit, because it's the most emotionally resonant a film has ever been for me.

I really think what's caused the pushback is that it's this relentlessly cheery/sincere/beautiful film released to cynical, post-modern audiences. The songs when looked at individually aren't classics necessarily (the score is pretty incredible though imo), but it's not a musical first, everything else second. You've gotta let things be what they are; a lot of people seem to need more rigidity in their genres which doesn't really make sense to me. The songs are just a vessel to express emotion in a more grandiose way. They don't feel like cuts from the action; it's organic.

+ I get so tired of hearing people hating on movies for "sucking Hollywood's ****". If accountants made movies, there'd be a lot of amazing movies about accounting. Your most inspired work will be based on your own experiences and - duh - these guys have experienced Hollywood.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I agree with mlaturno. La La will be a favorite of mine for years to come.

I just think it's funny because it's the type of film I usually wouldn't like (a musical) and usually it would win. But it's the complete opposite.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. The Departed
2. No Country For Old Men
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
4. Spotlight
5. Argo
6. Gladiator
7. 12 Years A Slave
8. A Beautiful Mind
9. The Hurt Locker
10. Slumdog Millionaire
11. Birdman