Disney?

Tools    

Have you guys noticed that someone always dies in Disney cartoons? What's up with that? One of the parents always gets it. I think that's freaky.

Okay, in Wizard of Oz we see the witch of the East bite the dust, then the witch of the West. Glenda is the witch of the North so... where's the witch of the South during all this?

I believe the Witch of the South was at Dollywood during the time that Wizard of Oz takes place.

Seriously, though, I've never read the book, so I don't know if there ever was a Witch of the South that was just cut for the movie version or what.

And not every Disney cartoon has someone die. Sometimes, the parents are already dead or otherwise gone (like in Aladdin. No one dies in that, but Aladdin's parents have previously disappeared as they are nowhere to be found in the movie).

MovieForums Extra

They don't always die, but it's usually the bad guys (Cruella DeVil, the witch from Little Mermaid, the bad uncle from Lion King even though his father dies, Captain Hook from Pan...) I think it's Disney's way of trying to teach children morals, the lessons of life and that good guys always win

Disney films work to a set classic formula of good vs evil & right vs wrong. If you look at the story to most of the classic adventures they will follow this basic plotline(Star Wars,Gladiator)
The themes of Disney films for want of a better term are shakesperian tradgedies gone right. I for one will always appreciate this theme if its done well, which it is most of the time with Disneys animated features.
Adult cinema as also, when done well can follow this tried & true formula add a plot twist or 2 & deliver entertaining cinema (not neccesarily original).