Memorable female actors

Tools    

For whatever reason it's usually the male actors and performances that stand out for me - the female actors in movies end up being lost in a blur (maybe because most movies I watch have female lead roles).

Any recommendations for scenes with really memorable performances by female leads? - preferably films circa 1990-present, but any will do.

For whatever reason it's usually the male actors and performances that stand out for me - the female actors in movies end up being lost in a blur (maybe because most movies I watch have female lead roles).

Any recommendations for scenes with really memorable performances by male leads? - preferably films circa 1990-present, but any will do.
Are you asking for films with strong male leads or strong female leads?

Are you asking for films with strong male leads or strong female leads?
Typo sorry, female leads

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's usually men who have the role designed for them, they have the most lines, and personally for me being a man, it's harder for me to judge a woman's performance. I'm also looking for different things by different genders, for an actress, it's usually emotion, sentiment, etc..

I would say there are a couple of female performances that just amazed me and will stay with me forever.
-Guileta Masina in "La Strada"
-Gena Rowlands in "A Woman Under The Influence"

Ace, I know you love this one....
Hah

Here's a few:
Maggie Cheung in In The Mood For Love, and Green Snake and Hero
Nastassja Kinski in Tess
Frances McDormand in Fargo
Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity
All of the women in Volver
Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Laura Linney in You Can Count On Me
Nastassja Kinski in Tess
Li Gong in Raise The Red Lantern, or Farewell My Concubine, or The Story of Qiu Ju, or To Live or Ju Dou
Ziyi Zhang in Hero, The House of Flying Daggers, and The Road Home,
Judi Dench in Philomena, Iris and Mrs Brown
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth
Angelina Jolie in Changeling

Here's a few:
Maggie Cheung in In The Mood For Love, and Green Snake and Hero
Nastassja Kinski in Tess
Frances McDormand in Fargo
Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity
All of the women in Volver
Bette Davis and Joan Crawford in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Laura Linney in You Can Count On Me
Nastassja Kinski in Tess
Li Gong in Raise The Red Lantern, or Farewell My Concubine, or The Story of Qiu Ju, or To Live or Ju Dou
Ziyi Zhang in Hero, The House of Flying Daggers, and The Road Home,
Judi Dench in Philomena, Iris and Mrs Brown
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth
Angelina Jolie in Changeling
A little upset that your love for Judi Dench made no mention of Notes on a Scandal.

yes Gideon you're right to be upset - that's what happenes when you think of things off the top of your head! She was so good in that film - the prim buttoned up obsession, the spiteful contempt!

Any recommendations for scenes with really memorable performances by female leads? - preferably films circa 1990-present, but any will do.
Another performance that deserves mention here is Jessica Lange in 1982's Frances...I waffle between this and Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence as the best female lead performance by an actress in the 1980's.

Barbara Stanwyck in nearly anything!
Her best films are Double Indemnity, The Lady Eve, Sorry Wrong Number, Baby face, Titanic (1953)

I've upload a clip for your enjoyment from Night Nurse (1931)

If you're comfortable with silent film, then check out Clara Bow!
I would recommend IT (1927) although you could also see her in Wings, the first film to win a best picture academy award (If i recall correctly)

The sexiest girl next door I've ever seen She was like an early version of marilyn monroe and spent the rest of her life after the 30s as a recluse overwhelmed by her fame and popularity.

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
RIIIPPPLLEEYYYY

Their assumption was that Jerry was already dead when I arrived, and I just nodded my head. What else could I tell them? "He had to do it, Officer, or else he would’ve turned into a worm-monster and been very unhappy."

My name's Bobby Peru, like the country.
I've always like Juliette Lewis as well, Natural Born Killers and Kalifornia were good ones with her.

Well recently I saw the film Remember My Name which was significant because it completely altered my opinion of Geraldine Chaplin. Suddenly I realised what she could do – I suppose it's a bit like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight if you'd only seen him in lighter stuff. It's a hell of a performance.

I'll also say Tilda Swinton in Orlando, Amanda Plummer and Saskia Reeves in Butterfly Kiss and Sally Hawkins in Happy-Go-Lucky.

that because usually the female lead is still only a supportive character
which to me is funny because you could go so much broader with a female lead than a man.
but i guess men still have issues with women being in the lead-we`ve seen that several times this year.

two strong female leads in crouching tigher hidden dragon
lilja forever
hero
a teacher
the whistleblower-rachel weiz
show me love-elin dahlstrøm
cruel intentions-sarah michelle gellar
changeling-angelina jolie
gia-angelina jolie
girl,interrupted-angelina jolie,winona ryder
bad guy
battle royale-kou shibasaki
bandidas-salma hayek and penelope cruz
frida-salma hayek
the others-nicole kidman
before i go to sleep-nicole kidman
static-sarah shahi
u turn (supportive?)-jennifer lopez
revolutionary road-kate winslet
enternal sunshine of the spotless mind (or supportive?)-kate winslet
the cell-jennifer lopez
21 grams-naomi watts
thirteen-nikki reed and evan rachel wood

Right now just one performance comes into my mind.

Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl

Essie Davis in The Babadook
Samantha Morton in The Daisy Chain
Rebecca Hall in Lay the Favourite