Favorite Director?

Tools    

I thought the category was "favorite" director, not "best" director.

Personally, I don't know how one can crown a "best" director anyway because we're all going to be working from different criteria to determine whose best.

Other than Full Metal Jacket, Kubrick's movies just don't do anything for me. I've not been a fan of 2001 nor A Clockwork Orange. They just aren't my thing. Nothing I heard about Eyes Wide Shut appealed to me enough to go see it. While I enjoyed The Shining well enough, I didn't see anything that was markedly better than any number of other films I've seen.

That's not to say that your opinion of the man and his work isn't valid, but it isn't anything more than an opinion. There can never be a consensus "best" director just like there can never be a consensus "best" movie. We all have our favorites based on how the directors' works make us feel. What's good for you is not necessarily good for everyone else.

I'm sorry dude but that is such a pansy answer. Stop being so ambiguous and take a stance. Also Steve do you think that Ozu is better than Kubrick or did you just throw that in there to start a conversation.

I took a stance earlier and listed my favorites and those whom I would consider the best because they make the films I like best.

I put Ozu because I think he's the greatest. Nothing else, period point blank. Of course there are orhter great directors, but he's the best in my opinion.

i think Steven Spielberg is an obvious one, so as much as i like him here are my other two favourites.
Bryan Singer
Alan Parker

i'm new by the way. hi!

Welcome Kielle!

Kubrick
Hitchcock
Woody Allen
Disney
Speilberge
Spike Lee
George Stevens
Kastans(sp)
Forman

Damn fine list mr100 I also like the fact that you put Kubrick at the top (must have done it subconsciencely)

I got beefs with 100's list, but it's all good...One question though...why no foreign?

wells
korasowa
lean

You all talked about Kubrick far too long to have not mentioned The Shining.

I think The Shining is flawed.

I think the guy who put Kurosawa, Welles, and Lean knows what he's talking about. Respect.

The Shining had so many useless parts to it. For instance the blood coming out of the elevators was there for sheer gore and horror effect. This doesn't fit because the movie isn't a horror flick in the sense of gore, it's a psychological horror flick. There was no need for the blood. Also why does Jack go crazy, no one knows because it is never shown. I am a huge fan of Kubrick but even I can admit that this film was extremely flawed. This is not to say that I don't like it (I watched twice in a day once) but as far as it being one of Kubricks best there is no way. Jack was the man though. A lot of people say he over-acted but I don't think so.

sorry but I thought the reason he started going mad was because of isolation from the outer world.

ah, thank you Steve N. its nice to be welcome. and i thought he was mad because the hotel got into him and turned him against his family. Oh and the Steven Weber version is ten times better than the Jack Nicholson one. Steven Weber plays a much vetter Jack.

Rock God
it's a five-way tie for my favorite:
tarentino
scorsese
kubrick
coppola
kevin smith

i could not narrow it down any more! those are in no particular order, by the way. also, i think with regards to the whole kubrick debate, my opinion is this: kubrick was one of those guys that made movies that were extremely deep, symbolic, and alienated a lot of movie fans that were just looking for an easy-going, fun time at the movies. they are not the type of films that you could just watch once and then completely understand. so, if you don't like him, maybe you should watch and rewatch some of his movies. they take some getting used to. also, it's kinda dumb to argue which director is the best, cause some guys push your buttons and some guys don't. you can't just say well, director a was good, but director b sucked!! because you're watching the movies through your eyes and i'm watching them through mine. i try to be open-minded, which is why i hate the stupid "(insert name of director here) SUCKS AND YOU SUCK TOO" replies. i don't get it.

OK I first of all to BrodieMan welcome. I deeply respect that you have an open mind and all but take a freakin stand on an issue. I to am also very open minded but I think it's pointless to not have a stand on an issue especially when it comes to directors. YOU can argue who the best is with style and the like.

As for Steven Webber being a better Jack than Jack: Give me a break. Steven Webber was so fake but at least Jack looked liked a crazed maniac. Webber looked like a pretty boy trying to be a bad a$$ the entire movie. Jack is a bad a$$ in the movie, there is a difference.

I thought Homer Simpson was a pretty good Jack.

Originally posted by ryanpaige
I thought Homer Simpson was a pretty good Jack.
"No TV and no beer makes Homer something something..."
"Go crazy?"
"DON'T MIND IF I DO!"

Hahahahaha. I love that show.