Evolution

Tools    

You could, but I probably wouldn't believe it. I even have my doubts about these findings you've listed here. We have to remember that if they DON'T find "new things", they have to find a new line of work.

I believe in science plenty - I just believe we don't know nearly as much as we've supposedly "discovered." If you look through history, you'll see that the odds suggest that most "findings" will prove to be innaccurate later.

Anybody who thinks that there are no other lifeforms anywhere else in the universe is nothing but a pile of ignorance.

And about God...why should we (as humans) not be able to control our own lives. It is not fair. Some find it hard to believe that there are other lifeforms anywhere else...I find it hard to believe Adam and Eve were magically dropped onto this planet into a little place called "Paridise." If the "wisetail" was true, they had no control over their lives. Hence not being able to eat the apple! The bible is nothing but stories past down from many many generations ago. People believe in God because they feel they have to. Actually, a lot of people believe in God because they're SCARED not to. It's all about FAITH...without faith, it's all for nothing. If you're like me, and you don't have COMPLETE faith...then don't pretend to HAVE faith. Who can honestly say that for at least a moment...you had your doubts that God exists?

MovieForums Extra
OK, I realise that some of the facts that I presented in my last post are a bit hard to accept (I personally doubt the 10^11 figure, but the rest is the most current belief held by scientists). I'm not just inventing these figures however, I had a subject at uni as part of general ed. called "Are We Alone? The Search for Life Elsewhere in the Universe"...it sounds like something Mulder might have thougt of, but it was a very serious subject where they went into a lot of physics, chemistry and a whole lot of other stuff related to our universe.

Anyway, without going into too much detail, scientists replicated the conditions that were present on our earth 3.5 billion years ago (they put a whole lot of gasses present in our atmosphere from volcanic eruptions etc. in a flask, and ran electric sparks through it to simulate lightning). Almost *instantly* when they analysed the results, they found all 20 amino acids that we use to make proteins, polypeptides that are used to make our DNA, and a whole lot of organic molecules used in our body. What's more, when the solution was allowed to cool and sit there for a few days, they found that some of the lipids had formed into circular objects which are called protocells, which when filled with water, split off and formed two smaller cells...these resemble VERY closely the fossils of the oldest cells known...the splitting is not the organised replication of a cell that we know today, but it could very well have been the start. Anyway, I'm not saying that this was THE way that life on earth or anywhere else started, but that it is a POSSIBLE way that it could have happened.

If anyone's curious, you can check out the http://www.talkorigins.org site, which presents scientific evidence for both point of views

Right....so Adam and Eve weren't just dropped to create human life then?

MovieForums Extra

Nah, I don't think it was likely that they were just dropped in to start the Human race...actually, there are different ways of interpreting the Genesis chapter of the Bible, which would view the "day" as a symbolic period, and which doesn't contradict evolution.

Well, I think it probably does. The Bible is open to interpretation in many ways, but I'd have to say that isn't one of them. That said, I believe in microevolution - birds getting faster as time goes on, people getting taller - but not a dog turning into a whale.

Yes, I've had my doubts, but seeing as how I believe in Him, I pray to God every day and almost always defend Him in situations like these. I have Faith in Him.

By the way: life on other planets does not mean intelligent life. I don't know what's out there. I don't believe The Bible addressess whether or not other life exists.

PooPoo: Yeah, it's amazing, isn't it? I think, however, that it takes a lot more Faith not to believe in God.

MovieForums Extra

Really hate to nit-pick, but I just gotta say this

In the original Hebrew text of the bible, the word used is not "days", but rather "period of time" which is interpreted in the translations as days...

Also, there are two words for "create" in the Hebrew language. One of them means "to make", the other means "to fashion something out of something already existing", and this is the word used when referring to the creation of Man.

That being said, this doesn't mean that I don't believe in God. On the contrary, I am very religious myself, and I too pray every day (I'm of the Orthodox faith though, but that doesn't change much). The point is that, as I learned more and more about everything, I started asking questions, since I find it difficult to believe that everything was just "popped" into existance.

Well, if you can believe in a Supreme Creator, the "popping" becomes much easier to swallow. I see your point - I can understand people not believing in The Bible or Jesus specifically - there are so many religions out there. I am always surprised to meet someone who doesn't believe in some sort of God though.

MovieForums Extra
I just realised after re-reading my previous posts that it looks like I was coming on way to strong, shoving my views down people's throats, so I want to say I'm sorry, that it wasn't the original intention!

Since you mentioned all those other religions out there, I wanted to ask a specific question about them...

I've seen a whole lot of Mormons around, there are two "resident" ones outside our uni main gate, and even here in the Phillipines, I saw them dressed in their attire and realised straight away what they were...so, what do you think about all these other religions (well, sects almost), any experiences with them? I've noticed the methods they use, and you really need a will of steel to be able to get away from them! I tend to take it very personally when someone tries to convert me to their own faith, these guys must have tried a dozen times!! I know some of their beliefs, how right/wrong are they, and also how right/wrong are they to convert other people??

I realise this has almost nothing to do with the original topic being discussed, but it's still interesting

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
To get back to the evolution topic, I'm just going to copy and paste something I said at FrappyDoo SO I can see Zeph and PooPoos responses

(excuse spelling)
I bring myself back to the point of the evolution of man themself. The first humanoid, was Austrolopithicus, actually there was one before that called Austrolopithicus Africanus, but I will focus on Austrolopithicus. Austrolopithicus, which much like an ape, walked on all fours, and had a slopping forehead and protruding jaw...then turned into Homo-Erectus. Which was basically just a very hairy person who walked upright, unlike before, and had a slightly less protruding jaw and forehead. From Homo Erectus came Homo Habilus, which was less hairy, less protruding jaw, a more domed cranium, with a bigger brain cavity. Homo Habilus, with its more developed brain, was capable of using tools, and making tools. From Homo Habilus came Homo Sapien, the species right before humans. Up to now the bible could possibly explain why this occured, it started off as Adam and Eve and grew from there. Where did Cro-Magnon man come from? There is DIRECT FACTUAL EVIDENCE of Cro-Magnon man, where did they come from? And if you would like to know where they disappered to, Cro-Magnon man inter breed with Homo Sapien, yeilding Homo sapien sapien, or modern day man.
If there are bone aka archilogical evidence of Cro-Magnon man....where then do Adam and Eve fit in the archelogical evidence?

Also if Adam and eve are to be the representations of humans....Please give me a date in history when they appeared..and what followed..the Sumarians? Egyptians>? and where do they relate to the dinosaur bones... ?

I can tell you why Adam and Eve do not fit into the equation, and its rather simple. During the time when Adam and Eve were thought of, when the bible was created, Dinosaurs, Homo Habilus, Neandrathal man, Cro-Magnon man, Homo Erectus, and all the others were not known at the time. There was no way that information could have been known, which is why Creationism offers no explaination for it.

Peter: I believe Jeff replied to that in that thread, so I'll revert to that. I am still learning of the scientific side of things, but I've seen answers for everything on both sides really.

Zeph: no need to apologize at all.

Mormons, eh? A lot of people avoid them - I think we purposely pretended not to be home once so we wouldn't have to talk to them, but personally I wouldn't mind. My dad, I've been told, used to almost ALWAYS invite them in - he knew the Bible well enough that he could shoot down a lot of their claims...The Book of Mormon contradicts with it quite a bit apparently.

Anyway, he apparently more than once got the Mormons really angry - always kind of cracked me up to hear that. It would crack you up too if you knew my dad.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
d@mn, 30 posts since i last checked!!

a lot going on here, lessee ... since so many people's comments refer to other comments, this might be out of order ... but hey, this is a pot of ideas so i hope that's ok. and, going from that, i've got a whoooole lot to say. prepare yourselves! these are numbered for your reading pleasure cause I doubt you all want to read this at once, but, i had to catch up!!

1. quote, TWTCommish; "That said, I believe in God...Jesus Christ, specifically. "

you guys got to talking about religions, toward the end. don't want to offend Chris, but I mean, you know how contradictory your statement sounds, right? I've always been wary of how Christians believe God is Jesus cause it's too too similar to how Catholics believe God is Jesus AND Mary ... How can one believe X is Y? That's why they have two different names and two entirely definitions. Yet, somehow, they evolved to mean each other, or Y (Jesus) to equal the former (God), and the how and the sense of that, which I have perceived and which I get factually, is one that has no common sense to me. My family is Christian, my mother was once Catholic ... I've seen it all. I myself am Christian because I do believe that at some point in the history of the world a man named Jesus existed ... other than that, the buck stops there. I believe he's entirely separate from God. Related, but separate.

2. quote, TWTCommish: "I like to think of myself as a pretty logical person by nature - but sometimes I just can't see all around me created by chaos. Too many things work in such precision, and sometimes, so artistically, to be random. "

yup. "God is in the details."

3. quote, OG: "My point exactly! To me, god is just an easy way of explaining what you can't explain."

So's science. Pick one, or believe both. Because science may have the math and numbers, but recall that math is INVENTED. I've taken the math and i've dealt with the quantum physics people (not heavy duty but i have). and it's INVENTED. You know, in courses I've taken that break down something as simple as light, when you get down to the microscopic level, you get down to THEORY. Not even necessarily FACT. And here's a real live term we used to define things: "little packets." That's right. Nothing specific, no real terms. That term was used to refer to "little packets of light" travelling, which no one can grasp or seize. It's funny, people put so much weight in the factual side of science when it is really as theoretical and contradictory (think of all the opposing theorists and scientists out there) and grasping for the truth as religion.

Back to science. It did not have known rules and regulations and had to be 1) recreated if it already existed 2) invented to fit what we do know. In which case, who invented it first? Or did scientists just stumble upon a system to which there are keys and facts the depths and likes of which they are still plumbing and may never completely know and if they ever do figure it out, at that time we will have reached perfection/utopia.

Science may simply be part of the system by which God indeed has things rolling. If, indeed, he is perfect and made us in his image, he may be trying to evolve us toward something more worthy, and something more perfect than we are. Short of physically reaching his hand/will/whatever down upon us and manipulating our minds and selves, he has left us to do it on our own, in which case we DO have a hand in our own destiny (NOTE: PooPooMaster). He may manipulate the factors AROUND us, but he himself does not manipulate us actively.

Retroactively, perhaps. For those who are highly religious, that's them manipulating themselves in his honor, not him telling you subconsciously and in person to pray 5x a day or to not eat from an unblessed kitchen. Yet, there's some residual influence left behind in texts. I take this with a grain of salt and admit I have not read them all, and do not know the original versions or the names of the chapters. But, if his reasons make some sort of sense (don't eat pigs cause they are filthy animals) then fine, it makes sense, more power to those who don't eat pork.

Back to evolution here ... so, our destiny is unknown but to the best of our knowledge is just "do the best you can." Which is kind of like, we don't know why we're here but let's just imagine it's to become better than what we are. What we are in the grand scheme of things we don't know either but let's just stick to that for know cause there's a lot we don't know and to avoid further mistakes we might as well keep learning to avoid them and hope the point of our existence comes to light. I personally believe that point is perfection, complete knowledge, enlightenment, whatever, but that will have to happen for EVERYBODY, a world where all is known and we are perfect beings.

We can't gain this with help. We have to do it on our own, otherwise there is no point and we've learned nothing, we've had the easy way out. In the meantime, God is experimenting. He's running his own experiment but it's not for fun. Maybe it is, I don't presume to know his mind, but I imagine that he WANTS us to achieve perfection, but because he wants us to earn it, he chooses to do only certain manipulations of the world around us to give us chances to improve, and to leave it at that. The adversity and the joy and the sorrow around us is all to teach us, and we are all here to learn, in order to reach some point, which I think is perfection. It's the classic parent-child dynamic - we do this to our own children, do we not? You will become better than you are, and you will become a better version of yourself that I myself judge fit to be in the world and know is good. Usually that involves some self-image and ego problems, and in a way, God may be intending us to become better than him, who knows. But in the meantime, he wants us better than we are. What that is on his scale, who knows. Maybe he wants us equal. Probably impossible, but who knows. Maybe we will be equal in every way but just not omnipotent/omniscient.

3. quote PooPoomaster: "My problem is that I need proof. There is plenty of evidence in the science category that tells me we are here because of evolution."

Like i said, science proving evolution does not disprove God (or a similar being). God may indeed have created the world in such a way that there is a system, which we discover now as science, but in the end it all points toward the same thing. Whether we give HIM credit or not for it is up to each person.

4. quote Zephyrus: "That's just our human nature. We're too stupid to understand the universe we live in, so we tend to break everything down into tiny bite-sized chunks that we can understand. "

it's really funny, cause he meant this about making up gods. but, if you think of it, isn't this the exact same thing we do for science?? that IS science. little chunks we call "theories" and then test-run. and we do it all so we can make sense of the world.

5. quote, TWT Commish: "To me, saying God doesn't exist is an easy way of making up for sin. That's not meant as an insult, but I think it can work both ways - the human mind has a reason to make God up, or pretend He does not exist. "

As OG said, he is not denying that he sins. And, specifically, while saying God doesn't exist could be a way to avoid making up sin for some people, that's not necessarily the truth for all people and there are multiple reasons and multiple results for choosing not to believe in God. The main one, which we've already heard here is the most basic of all human internal law: I have no proof that he exists. Tied to that one is, I have to see it for myself. That's a double meaning there. WHen people say it, they mean visually, they want proof. They want to see someone come back to life before their eyes after being shot, or God walk out of the clouds, or whatever. But, in a way they may be also be saying exactly that - no amount of yapping from anybody else is going to make them believe. They will have to see FOR THEMSELVES. (that emphasis there is not pointing at anybody here, i'm stressing a point).

And, Christians are certainly not the only ones spending time during their day ruminating on the bad they've done. Atheists and agnostics can do it too. They may not think of it as "sin" (since they disregard the bible and the rules that make sins sins) but they can still see them as trespasses against others and the order of the world and this ties into what OG said. And this makes choosing not to believe in God just to avoid being punished highly unlikely. Everyone always says that and it's like they're just not cutting anybody any slack. (no offense, I'm just a tad frustrated that always seems to be the case). someone said that to me once and I'm not even without religion!

6. quote Zephyrus: "But what they sometimes fail to realise is the actual size of the universe, and by this alone, every random event has a small probability of happening, which in a universe of this size can become significant. "

But we don't know the size of the universe nor our size in terms of it. Science can yap all it wants but if there are multiple universes around us then we've got a limited knowledge base. science is only trying to make sense of what it knows in it's limited space range (earth/any universes/galaxies we know of) and cannot presume that at any given time it's found it all. say we're a house in a fenced-in yard. scientists are sniffing all over the yard and may think they've got it all figured out but there's still a little gate that leads out to the street, and the neighborhood, and the next street, and ... etc.

7. quote, TWTCommish: "Yes, something is bound to happen somewhere - but here? What are the odds that we're once of the very few planets out there this lucky?

Also, keep in mind, that if you believe in evolution, you have to believe in either billions upon billions of other humanoid races on other planets who have died out, or you have to believe in this earth being nearly TRILLIONS of years old, and that millions upon billions of other human-type figures, mutated and different from us, tried to survive, but didn't.

I just find that hard to believe. "

why? later in these posts i think you say that the bible never covers it. depends which bible you use, my friend. and which holy book, cause there are multiple ones. somewhere i read, and i can't remember specifically which version, in the English (non-Hebruw) bible, that God did indeed say something to the effect of, "You are not the only children I have created" or something like that. Or , You are not hte only children I have put on this world."

Now, when he said it, he might have meant world in an entirely nonspecific sense, in which case, the entire plane he is practicing his creating on may be the "world" he means, under which there are multiple universes and planets, within which one tiny thing called Earth exists.

And, having said we are not the only children he created ... and with my believe science is indeed completely the system by which he has created and developed us, that he has done the same with others. I do believe there are other beings out there. Somewhere. Maybe it's just one other planet with humans exactly like us. Maybe it's 15 other planets with humanoids. Maybe it's 5 gazillion with beings with no discernible or recognizable appearance (light, water, spirit, who knows) or maybe they look like dolphins and whales. But i do believe their out there.

The other thing is humans have a penchant for having no basis to believe in outside things because they have not known them or seen them, and the only sure thing is believing in self-existence because "I think therefore I am" and you see others like you ... So the habit is to have so much faith in oneself/the human race that you can carry none whatsoever for anything beyond you. The human ego is selfish that way. It can't conceive there's anyone better or different (thus, the clash of races and the destructive nature of humans through their evolution still visible in our "civilized" societies today) and when we do encounter those things, we are angry, jealous, or scared. Confused of course, but we don't like what we see.

Thus the intense fear and fascination with the "other", who is not the "self". We refuse to believe in an "other" until we see one or enough other people (a majority) tells us they exist. Because the current # of people in the world who believe in "alien" life is not the majority, the rest of the world dismisses us (for yes, i'm one) as x-philes and sci fi fanatics and people with fanciful imaginations. And that will remain the way it is until we encounter others different from ourselves.

8. PooPooMaster: "Who can honestly say that for at least a moment...you had your doubts that God exists?"

of course. that's a natural part of life because the majority in the world has religion. it's as common as brushing your teeth and wondering if you really have to, or doubting the authority of your parents. we all doubt socially learned things at some point. the point as social beings is to learn for yourself why it's a socially practiced and common thing. which is why if you are born into a religion you will always have to face yourself at some point. i do not believe there is anyone born on earth into a religion who does not ask themselves at some point if they have natural faith or practice only what they are told; and/or if they really believe the religion they practice.

we have all apparently done that ourselves too, cause that's why we're here discussing and we have so many views.

9. Zephyrus: "Nah, I don't think it was likely that they were just dropped in to start the Human race...actually, there are different ways of interpreting the Genesis chapter of the Bible, which would view the "day" as a symbolic period, and which doesn't contradict evolution."

I agree that the bible, as in all things, is open to interpretation in many ways. and, the point of language and translation - a KEY factor that has ramifications for all those who practice a religion based off of a book. short of God himself having burned his thoughts into the page to never be altered or changed in any way and to reflect forever and immutably exactly what he said, we will never have the exact meaning, we will never know exactly what he meant or why for everything, and the fluid status that gives to religious books (to me) gives fluid meaning to what facets of religion come from it.

thus, the fact that God may not have even meant a "day" the way we think a day goes. and there are entire BOOKS filled with thousands of words that someone other than God chose to put there to represent what he said - or supposedly said. THe original Hebrew ... the different tomes ... the different English and Latin versions ... and then, the Koran ... think of it. That is a LOT of room for error. I'm not saying there's no truth to them now. Just that I think it's likely there are a lot of mistakes. But, that doesn't mean you still can't read them and believe in most/all/some of what they say.

10. TWTCommish: " The Bible is open to interpretation in many ways, but I'd have to say that isn't one of them. "

Why should this one passage not be open to interpretation and others are? I'm sorry, I know I seem to harping on you a lot Chris, but it's not you and I don't mean to disparage your thoughts. I totally repect them and I know where you're coming from and it's not like it doesn't make sense or that you don't have a reason to believe what you believe. I just disagree.

Ok, back to the quote - one part of the bible can't be any less fluid (in my opinion) than any other. we don't know what's fact and what isn't, what was wrongly translated, wrongly transcribed, and which chapter it was. None of this was saved on disk with spell-check and utter attention to exact translation. And translation in itself is an arrogant thing because if a person who speaks an entirely different language seeks to write the foreign words of a person speaking to them, there is no way in (you know what that you are gonna get it right. No way. You'll get it mostly right, or kinda right, or sorta right. But 1) you'll lose the writing if it's been aged, if the handwriting is bad, if someone misspelled or whoever wrote it made mistakes 2) you'll lose the speech cause cognitive recognition between languages works differently. The best you can get is an approximation, a near-hit and therefore, a lot of room for error.

11. OG: "Also if Adam and eve are to be the representations of humans....Please give me a date in history when they appeared..and what followed..the Sumarians? Egyptians>? and where do they relate to the dinosaur bones... ?

I can tell you why Adam and Eve do not fit into the equation, and its rather simple. During the time when Adam and Eve were thought of, when the bible was created, Dinosaurs, Homo Habilus, Neandrathal man, Cro-Magnon man, Homo Erectus, and all the others were not known at the time. There was no way that information could have been known, which is why Creationism offers no explaination for it. "

ok, archaeological evidence ... who knows when the heck they were made. i'm thinking after the dinosaurs dude. the other thing, and help me on this, my knowledge of the bible is fuzzy, but in genesis, adam and eve are in some unknown paradise. that paradise does not have to be earth. they could have been in some location unreachable to us (dimension/another planet) and when kicked out they landed on earth. or, when kicked out, they travelled until they found earth. and, we don't know the state of the universe when God made it. it may have been like atlantis and disappeared from earth (rather than being on earth, or being earth itself). not knowing the state of the universe (only knowing the state of earth, as God (we believe) describes it), it could have all been one plane in the middle of which a gated eden sat, and when he kicked the kids out the entire relation of things changed. eden could also have been some pretty island in the sky that flew away or evaporated and left the bad children behind and went off to cruise the cosmos. who knows.

now, remains. the remains of human beings have to be in a location that can preserve them for us to find them. the soil, the air, or whatever will allow this. so who's not to say the happy couple just didn't disintegrate, finally? or that they're there, just so many layers down below it'll take centuries to find them and because they could be anywhere it's highly unlikely we'll ever find them anyway?

ok, and just because no one who wrote the bible knew of the reality of evolution does not mean they are incapable of co-existing. so what if creationism can't offer the dates and facts to coincide with things like dinosaur bones? there are plenty of scientific texts out there with theories we use today that had no notion of things we know now - does that disprove them? no, it just limits their scope. so, the bible was worried about things like progeny and religion and life lessons and such, not about when exactly on the carbon dating timeline adam and eve were created. i'm sure adam and eve fit in there somewhere. either they existed before the dinosaurs or after, but i mean, come on, does when really matter? i mean, it'd be nice to know and it'd be a fascinating discovery and would probably make all the religious people even more self-righteous cause now they have proof they're not crazy, but it's not terribly important. those whom it matters to most are those who want/need visual/factual proof, which i've discussed already, and in the end, hey, i'm sorry. i can't SEE science and in fact only see actions and reactions, but I believe it exists. why not do the same with some greater system that uses science and which can be temporarily named "God"?

12. mormons: i actually went to high school where there were a few, and the interesting thing was they dressed entirely like everybody else. nothing sexy or revealing, and nothing terribly confinind. none of the suits. like regular people. the few were actually a family (unless there were others I didn't know of) and their son was our senior class president, and he was in our speech and drama club (an actor) and did everything along with everybody else and never tried to "spread the word." then, we all graduated, and i heard the guy went off to do his 2 year thing (they all do it, i can't remember what it's called) and i think that's where they travel door to door and stuff in the US. but, i think he chose to do it a different way and is back in south korea (where we went to high school) out in the countryside and living with the monks. he's still mormon. i don't quite get what he's doing up there (learning from them or trying to convert the local populace) and i didn't want to be rude and ask.

whew!!! thanks for reading!!

Don't have time to reply to everything, so I'll say this:

1) The reason that one isn't open to interpretation is because I just don't think it is - it's clearer than the others. It was a matter of opinion. I thought that much was obvious...

2) When I'm talking about not being able to believe it about millions of other species, I'm talking about this planet - I don't think there have been millions of mutated humans here on Earth that have died out - if you believe in Darwin's theories or most theories of evolution, that goes with it. Doesn't seem too likely to me.

3) I understand that not everyone "blocks out" God because of their own sins, but I think plenty do. Some don't like the idea of someone more powerful and more in control than they are - they think a God means they have no control. Things like this can be concious or subconcious, and I think most Non-Christians have something similar to that going on.

MovieForums Extra

Wow Miriam, that's one HELL of a post (excuse the pun ) If it took me ages to read the thing, it must have taken even longer to type up!!

I'll write a reply to OG's post first...

You got most of it correct. The first of our hominid ancestors was Australopithecus Afarensis known as "Lucy" (After the Beatles song "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" ) It was basically an ape, but it was the first to walk upright and it had a forward-pointing thumb. Then came the other Australopithecines which varied from region to region, but were very much like Lucy. After them came Homo Erectus, which as you said had a less protruding jaw and forehead, bigger brain and had a more stocky appearance. Homo Habilis was the next in line, which was the first hominid to start using tools, built fires etc. and they were the first to move out of Africa. These guys evolved into Homo Sapiens, which is where the lineage gets confusing. Cro-magnon man came from Africa, through the Middle East and into Europe. At this time, the ice from the last ice age was retreating in Europe, which opened up new frontiers for the Cro's. They ran into the Neanderthals there, and it is thought that they never inter-bred, rather existed in an uneasy truce for a long period of time. Neanderthals were pushed back eventually until they died out (it is thought that the Cro's had the advantage of speech, they could communicate with and coordinate the group). This gave them the slight "edge", and Neanderthals eventually died out. The placing of neanderthals is confusing, some scientists place them as Homo Sapiens Neanderthalensis, whereas others believe they had nothing to do with us, and should be placed in their own genus.

It is thought that according to the Bible, the Earth is about 6,500 years old (so about 4,500 years B.C. is as far as history goes). Sumerians came from the "fertile valley" in what is now Iraq about 6,500 years ago. What is surprising (this is the clincher for X-philes) is that stories have been found in Sumerian tablets that mention a garden called E'de-en (I think that's the correct spelling), and that the Sumerians believed that a "race of giant people" came down and "taught them civilization". I forgot the name of these giants, I'll write another post when I remember for anyone interested
Basically, everything we know came from the Sumerians through the Babylonians, Egyptians and Greeks, then Romans and finally to present day civilization. Perhaps that's where the link between evolution and a Supreme Being (or Beings as it might be) exists...

Also, think about it, if God really did come down in the form of Jesus Christ as his son 2000 years ago, and started babbling something about how he created the universe (or multiple universes as it were), quantum physics and evolution, do you think anyone would beieve him? Hence, the way the bible is today, a collection of stories, rather than something that can be subjected to scientific method, and hence this debate

By the way, for anyone interested, dinosaurs were waaaaaay before humans! They existed between 150 million and 65 million years ago; in contrast, humans split from apes as recently as around 4 million years ago!

Wow, isn't it remarkable that we can look at a rock with an imprint of something on it and tell you, within one million years, how old it is?

C'mon, people! I've said it before, and no one will address it: look at history, and you'll see that the facts say that a lot of what we know now will be disproven later.

It has always been human nature to jump to conclusions on scientific matters, and now there's even more motivation for scientists to "find" things - moreso than ever. Don't these things taint all these supposed findings even a little?

MovieForums Extra
Well, I gotta reply to some of the remarks in the other posts, so here goes!

1. Chris: "Wow, isn't it remarkable that we can look at a rock with an imprint of something on it and tell you, within one million years, how old it is?"

Well actually we can, sometimes with even more accuracy. Here's a link if you're interested in the principles of isochron dating, which is used to date rocks: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/isochron-dating.html

I've noticed that both Commish and thmilin have mentioned the validity of science and scientific method...

2. Chris: "C'mon, people! I've said it before, and no one will address it: look at history, and you'll see that the facts say that a lot of what we know now will be disproven later."

That is true, that is the whole point of science. Scientific investigation involves proposing a theory or hypothesis, and then testing it. And of course, it has to be replicable by other scientists (otherwise it can be rigged) Back in the past, scientific method wasn't even established, so many errors were made. You're right Chris, in the Middle Ages it was believed that the Earth was flat and that it was the center of the universe...if that's what you mean by "disproven later" then I apsolutely agree with you! However, what about Newton or Einstein? Their theories and laws hold even today (after all, if you push a ball, it moves away from you )

3. thmilin: "Because science may have the math and numbers, but recall that math is INVENTED. I've taken the math and i've dealt with the quantum physics people (not heavy duty but i have). and it's INVENTED. You know, in courses I've taken that break down something as simple as light, when you get down to the microscopic level, you get down to THEORY. Not even necessarily FACT."

Sorry Miriam, have to disagree there. Math is invented based on observations of the universe around us. If you say it's not fact, can I therefore conclude that 1+1 is not equal to 2 because it is just fabricated to suit our needs? As far as light goes, it is hard to understand (which doesn't mean that it's inexplicable by mathematics). What it is basically is the wave/particle duality, because based on observations light sometimes behaves as waves (i.e. electromagnetic radiation) and sometimes as particles (i.e. matter). I can't really explain more without going into quantum physics...

Einstein's Theory of Relativity has been tested to such a huge extent (with no major flaws or violations of the universe being found) that it is considered to be more an axiom or fact(something that is assumed automatically without requiring proof) rather than a theory. And it works very well countless times in explaining what goes on on the atomic level, which can't otherwise be explained.

4. thmilin: "But we don't know the size of the universe nor our size in terms of it. Science can yap all it wants but if there are multiple universes around us then we've got a limited knowledge base. science is only trying to make sense of what it knows in it's limited space range (earth/any universes/galaxies we know of) and cannot presume that at any given time it's found it all. say we're a house in a fenced-in yard. scientists are sniffing all over the yard and may think they've got it all figured out but there's still a little gate that leads out to the street, and the neighborhood, and the next street, and ... etc."

Sorry once again, scientists actually do know the size of the observable universe, and every possible calculation shows that our universe is expanding at an increasing rate. We are not even a grain of sand in the desert of the universe, we're even less significant.

Finally, a final note about evolution. Regarding microevolution, no one claims that a dog can turn into a whale (after all, dogs can't really swim ). What it does claim is that, for example, Chimps and humans share a common ancestor (a common misconception is that we evolved from apes as we know them today), and upon analysis of our DNA, 98.4% is exactly the same...there is more genetic variation between a zebra and a horse or the African and Asian elephants (which I would say are pretty similar). Chimps can learn human sign language, they can use grammar and syntax (not like parrots), but this is straying from the point.

Well, all this proving and disproving has made me tired, so I'm outta here!

I read a bit from your links, and I'm sorry, but I'm unimpressed. How exactly can we determine how this isotope was at first? Things can change very easily over time.

Regarding Einstein and Newton: I never said that NO theories are correct later, but a lot of them are not. As such, I don't like people taking these things as fact.

In fact, I think it takes a lot of audacity to claim these things as absolute fact.

Like I said: no one can deny that most discoveries - even more recent ones, are proven to be less than entirely factual later on. Let's learn from history and start declaring things as theory, rather than fact. Gravity is a theory obvious enough to claim as fact - evolution and carbon-dating are not.

It's human nature to think we know more than we do - we've been doing it for as long as we have records to show.

MovieForums Extra
Just as an addition to my previous post, the name of the race of Giants that the Sumerians referred to is Anunnaki, and they apparently came from a planet called Nibiru, which revolves around our sun every 3,600 years in a plane that is perpendicular to that of the Earth and the other planets. Apparently, Sumerian clay tablets depict the solar system with all nine planets including Pluto (which wasn't discovered until the 1930's) in a circular orbit (thinking which was millenia ahead of its time). The expert on this is some guy called Zecharia Sitchin, he translated the tablets...well, I'm not saying this is true or that I necessarily believe this, just presenting some of the facts Hey, even I'm open to some nice X-files speculation

Here's a link to an interview with Sitchin, it's actually quite interesting to read if you have some spare time:
http://www.metatron.se/asitch.html

MovieForums Extra
The link I posted regarding isochron dating is just one of the methods being used. The original state of the isotope can change over time (i.e. there can be outside disturbances), but many of these can be verified from the surrounding soil/rock/whatever. And of course, many samples are taken, and statistically their average is found, which is how dating works. If one particular sample is tainted or spoiled, would it mean that a thousand samples taken at various places or by different people would also be tainted and spoiled?

I never claimed that evolution was a fact or an axiom. It is after all still called the "Theory of Evolution", which is rather a collection of many theories. Since Einstein's Theory of Relativity has been hailed as one of the greatest discoveries of the 20th century, perhaps of all time, do you think that many scientists would have tried to dispove it? The point that I was trying to make is that it is a very sound theory, and as far as the atomic level is concerned, it works impecably well.

I may just take you up on your claim. Since you say that many of the theories are not correct or disproven later on, can you give me one example?

Also, can I ask you another question? Since I mentioned Chimps in my post, how do you explain the extraordinary similarities? If God had indeed fashioned Man in his own image, why create Chimps which are 98.4% identical, that share many of the same instincts, feelings and behaviours?

God decided to make man-like animals - I don't see any contradiction. I've read that MOST animals are over 80% similar in DNA anyway, and most more. Pigs, apparently, are even more "human" in terms of DNA than apes. Doesn't mean they all evolved from each other.

As for claims: you listed a couple yourself. It's common sense, and no, I cannot list more than a few, because I'm not a historian - however, I consider it common sense, and I don't see anyone disagreeing.

Ack, I spend too much time on these things.