Hi.

Tools    

Resident pain in the...
Newbie, like the site, hate the 25 points rule, lol.

All I want to do is ask a question.

And trust me, I post more than enough, I got over a thousand posts in a month in an unactive forum. But I don't plan on coming here daily, I will come here often though. I like talking about movies and the place I goto is a game site with a movie option, so usually they don't know jack, lol.

So, how do I get points?

Or are points just posts?

A post is just a post. No points involved.

That said, the rule is entirely necessary. I'm not sure what question you'd like to ask, but most new members in your position ask for help remembering the title of some movie, and basically never post here again, sometimes not even to thank the people who tracked it down for them.

The rule prevents people from clogging the site with one-time questions without contributing anything to any of the discussions here. It also dramatically cuts down on spam.

We can get points? I mean other than the "Mel" ones?

Resident pain in the...
It said "you cannot access this forum until you have 25 points" then informed me that this is the only forum I can visit.

Then told me I could only make 1 post. I was allowed to announce myself (like some arrogant prick, like I expect people here to know me) and was allowed to inform people of my upcoming birthday.

Which isn't all that upcoming, July.

It was about a DVD. Underworld 1.

Simpsons movie July 27th 2007 WOOOO!

Originally Posted by DEMON212
I was allowed to announce myself (like some arrogant prick, like I expect people here to know me)
I so wanted to make a rude comment here, but I will refrain. Better things to do. Arrogant indeed.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by 7thson
I so wanted to make a rude comment here, but I will refrain. Better things to do. Arrogant indeed.
now I'm gonna pick at you...

Resident pain in the...
Sorry, but who the heII is arrogant enough to WANT to announce themselves???

It said "you cannot access this forum until you have 25 points" then informed me that this is the only forum I can visit.
Actually, it said this is the only forum you can post new threads in, and invited you to introduce yourself here.

Then told me I could only make 1 post.
Where did it do that?

The Adventure Starts Here!
Oh, by the way, since hardly anyone else is doing this, HELLO! And welcome to the BEST movie forum on the Internet!

Pull up, take a seat, read through some of the most hiliarious and informative threads on movies you'll find anywhere, and post in some of them. Your 25 posts will come fast and furious (hey, isn't that a movie?), and you'll be beyond the noob stage in no time.

I know what you meant about the arrogant thing....but I think others misread your post. Give it another shot. You sound like you could fit in here just fine.

Linda

Originally Posted by Austruck
I know what you meant about the arrogant thing....but I think others misread your post. Give it another shot. You sound like you could fit in here just fine.

Linda
Hey I was just joking....andI have been reprimanded...

Hi, welcome, and hope you like sarcasm, I didnt mean anything serious.

Hey, WE know what you mean, 7th, but noobs wouldn't have a clue. I notice how we welcome new members here (as compared to other forums I frequent), and we can be pretty harsh and standoffish to newbies until we're sure they're going to stick around.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that, on some other forums, the mere act of being friendly and welcoming (almost gushing) toward newcomers makes them WANT to stay and participate.

I don't think anyone here does it on purpose -- I think we've all been burned by rude noobs who don't really want to be here, and it happens here more than other forums, probably due to the nature of the main topic of the forums -- but it is noticeable to me. Inadvertent, but noticeable.

So, I just wanted to be sure the new guy on the block knew we just run everyone through the wringer like this, and not to take it personally.

Youse wasn't bein' reprimanded! Youse is luvvved.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Hey, WE know what you mean, 7th, but noobs wouldn't have a clue. I notice how we welcome new members here (as compared to other forums I frequent), and we can be pretty harsh and standoffish to newbies until we're sure they're going to stick around.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that, on some other forums, the mere act of being friendly and welcoming (almost gushing) toward newcomers makes them WANT to stay and participate.

I don't think anyone here does it on purpose -- I think we've all been burned by rude noobs who don't really want to be here, and it happens here more than other forums, probably due to the nature of the main topic of the forums -- but it is noticeable to me. Inadvertent, but noticeable.

So, I just wanted to be sure the new guy on the block knew we just run everyone through the wringer like this, and not to take it personally.

hmmmm....
Just as counterpoint, I am going to offer this:

This is, by far, the friendliest forum I've been on, and I've toured about a dozen at this point. Only one came close, but all they talked about were chickens and flirty banter. Pleasant, but no substance.

As far as I've seen, Mofos have been VERY friendly and welcoming to most people. There have been exceptions, but it's been based on that person's introduction of themselves. That, to me, seems not only fair but prudent. We each choose how we communicate here. Generally speaking, people put their best foot forward at first. So if their best foot stinks... it's a fair conclusion that good things aren't on their way.

To be clear, I'm not saying Demonoid stinks. I AM saying though, that they've informed us in their user title thing that they intend to be a pain in the ass or somesuch. I don't think it's a poor reflection on anyone here if they don't jump up and down and say "yippie" to that.

That said, Demonoid, welcome. You'll find that we have enough pains already, but are a fun group. What kind of movies do you like?

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
from what i've seen so far, i think he/she has potential to get on my nerves, (big hard-to-do there) but they could surprise me...i've been wrong before!

welcome Demon! have i said that yet?

NO, actually, I read that post exactly the opposite! He/she was commenting that he thought it WOULD be arrogant to just jump in and start a thread merely to state, "Hey, world, here I am!"

So, you have his point entirely upside down! That's why I wanted to clear things up. He was stating that he DIDN'T want his first thread to be about HIM instead of about his question about a movie....

this must have been very difficult for you Austruck, i'm very proud of you for being grammatically incorrect...

Nahh, believe it or not, I've learned how to separate my work life from things like emails and online forums. Now, yes, I still proofread the TV crawls on news shows (those are horrible!), and I still want to put an apostrophe in the movie title TWO WEEKS NOTICE (should be TWO WEEKS' NOTICE), but friends and family get a pass.

Honest.