A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
1. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie - One could make an argument that this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created by humans. Not really a fair contender, eh?

2. System Of A Down - Aerials
3. Jinjer - Pisces
4. Foo Fighters - Everlong
5. Meg Myers - Desire
6. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
7. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
8. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
9. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu.
10. The Gathering - Strange Machines
11. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
12. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Liking that Meg Myers song...Gonna check out more of her stuff.

1. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie - One could make an argument that this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever created by humans. Not really a fair contender, eh?

2. System Of A Down - Aerials
3. Jinjer - Pisces
4. Foo Fighters - Everlong
5. Meg Myers - Desire
6. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
8. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
10. The Gathering - Strange Machines
11. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
12. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun

Liking that Meg Myers song...Gonna check out more of her stuff.
Well, I mean, there weren’t any limits (except time), and I love the piece to death, so I just had to nominate it. For me it’s a real trip to Heaven and back.

1. Meg Myers - Desire
I think I nominated this on one song tourney. The song, the voice and the video are one of the sexiest ever. I'll but it ahead of my own nom to reward @Captain Spaulding for reading my thread.

2. The Gathering - Strange Machines
Really catchy and mellow stuff. My favorite album by The Gathering. Anneke looks so happy and lively (and stoned) that even a grumpy ass like me starts to smile.

3. Jinjer - Pisces
I'm not really a fan of Jinjer but this particular song is good. I really like the vocals too, both clean and harsh.

4. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
I listened to some Bat for Lashes years ago but remembered it being more rock than this. A tad too long intro but otherwise pretty nice.

5. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
Haven't listened to The Doors that much. My impression is that they're often really repetitive and this isn't an exception. Still clearly better than I expected.

6. Foo Fighters - Everlong
Laid back and easy to listen. Wouldn't probably put it on myself but wouldn't mind if someone else does. Goes on for too long though.

7. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
Somehow this reminds me of Rammstein. It's a tad too long and repetitive but I think there's more positive than negative things still.

8. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
At first I thought I was listening to Smells Like Teen Spirit cover but it's just the intro. Not bad but not too memorable either.

9. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
Feels quite generic pop-punk but in Japanese. Passable background music but nothing more.

10. System Of A Down - Aerials
Serj is great singer but I've never liked SoaD's music.

11. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
I'm not sophisticated enough to get this. It kinda works as a background music but I can't get a hold of it if I really try to listen.

12. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
So repetitive and dull for such a short song. Totally forgettable.

Round 2
System Of A Down - Aerials
Foo Fighters - Everlong
Jinjer - Pisces
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
The Gathering - Strange Machines
Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
Jade Bird - Uh Huh
Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
Meg Myers - Desire
Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

1. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
2. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
3. The Doors - Waiting For The Sun
4. The Gathering - Strange Machines
5. Jinjer - Pisces
6. Foo Fighters - Everlong
7. System Of A Down - Aerials
8. Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie
10. Meg Myers - Desire
11. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields
12. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

Nom for round 3
Wagakki Band - Tengaku

Weird is relative.
1. Jade Bird - Uh Huh

Awesome, very spirited performer. I listened to a tonne of her tunes on YouTube after this. She kind of reminds me of the underdogs I would root for on American Idol back when I watched from like 2008 - 2012...

2. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu

I think these guys are bad-ass. They've only released two songs so far but a full album will be out soon.

3. The Doors - Waiting for the Sun

the Doors.

4. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie

This reminded me of a radio station I used to listen to on Sunday mornings that would play choral church pieces like this and others. It was nice to hear it again.

5. Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields

Love Bat for Lashes.

6. The Gathering - Strange Machines

Wasn't what I was expecting when it started playing, but I liked her voice.

7. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest

This is fun.

8. Jinjer - Pisces

Pretty singer, not so much into the growling though.

9. Meg Myers - Desire

Whoa, scary psycho girl. I hope I don't date anyone with an ex like this, haha...

The following were not my style...

10. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
11. System of a Down - Aerials
12. Foo Fighters - Everlong

Round 3 Nom:

SKÁLD - Run

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Doors - Waiting For The Sun my favorite from the bassless band of poets.

The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu Loving those instruments! Very glad to have the heads up to go in a minute and get into the song.

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite Quite the rockin number. Really enjoyed this

Meg Myers - Desire A dark and sexy song with a great guitar lead. Gonna hafta look into more of this.

Jade Bird - Uh Huh Uh Huh is right!

Jinjer - Pisces Wow. Did NOT see the heavy growling coming, but it didn't hamper the song at all

Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie Quite the beautiful bit of Bach, I must say

The Gathering - Strange Machines Quite the pleasant surprise - did NOT expect such a strong voice from that little girl. VERY nice.

Bat for Lashes - Winter Fields Quite haunting and ethereal. Especially the opening.

Foo Fighters - Everlong While I never got into the Foo Fighters this is a good song of theirs. Love the drums in this.

System Of A Down - Aerials Not a fan of the band but it is one I can handle

Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest kinda so-so for me. No highs, no lows, just sort of meanders

Round 3
Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows

1. The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu
(A shame that that is so low on most of the rankings. I loved the hell out of this and have listened to it a few times now. I don't even know how to describe what I've just heard. It sounds like a genre unto itself. Awesome song. Even the design of the instruments is killer. Never expected to have a Mongolian song stuck in my head. Yuve Yuve Yu!)

2. Meg Myers - Desire

3. Jade Bird - Uh Huh
(Surprisingly good. Love the attitude and spunkiness. Would not have assumed it was a modern song if I just heard it on the radio, and I mean that in a good way. Will certainly be listening to more of her stuff.)

4. Jinjer - Pisces
(Insanely impressive vocal performance. Love the juxtaposition between the two styles, which should feel jarring yet somehow meshes perfectly. Hopefully the exorcists steer clear because the demon residing in her throat makes a great duet partner.)

5. The Gathering - Strange Madness
(Don't think I'm familiar with The Gathering, but I found this live performance very impressive. Heavy enough to headbang, but melodic and catchy at the same time. Curious to hear a studio version and other songs from the group.)

6. The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
(The Doors is a top five band for me, but I tend to favor less familiar artists/songs in these tournaments.)

(I really like some of Bat for Lashes stuff, but haven't listened to her in a long time. This song doesn't make a strong first impression, but I could easily see it growing on me. Very relaxing song. Love her voice.)

8. System of a Down - Aerials
(Never liked System of a Down, mainly because I find the singer's voice so annoying. If somebody could go through their catalogue and edit out his voice from every song, I might be a fan since the instrumentation is never an issue.)

9. Foo Fighters - Everlong
(It's really an indictment against the state of modern rock that the Foo Fighters are somehow considered one of the great rock bands of the 21st century. Not being a hater, because I like some of their stuff, but they've received a lot of accolades for simply being above average. Grew tired of this particular song long ago.)

10. Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest
(Pleasant, radio-friendly song, but instantly forgettable.)

11. Bach - Mass in B Minor, Kyrie
(I'd rather listen to the Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Stop trying to class up this tournament, @ahwell! Haven't you learned yet that we're an unsophisticated bunch?)

12. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite
(Have always hated this nerdy pop-punk sound. Somebody shove these losers into a locker.)

@Captain Spaulding

Well I don’t really have anything else to nominate... And there’s nothing more “sophisticated” about classical music than rock/pop/etc, and nothing elitist about about it... I hope I’ll live to see that stereotype, but I’ll keep trying in the mean time, sorry.

A system of cells interlinked
@Captain Spaulding

Well I don’t really have anything else to nominate... And there’s nothing more “sophisticated” about classical music than rock/pop/etc, and nothing elitist about about it... I hope I’ll live to see that stereotype, but I’ll keep trying in the mean time, sorry.

Just to be clear, go ahead and nominate whatever you like.

We like to bust people's chops a bit here on MoFo, and it's all in good fun.

@Captain Spaulding

Just to be clear, go ahead and nominate whatever you like.

We like to bust people's chops a bit here on MoFo, and it's all in good fun.
All right... yeah I guess that just passed over my head

Ok, time's up for Round 2, sadly @jiraffejustin appears to have gone awol but it's probable that the winner was far enough clear anyway - here's the results.......

1st - Jinjer - Pisces (96 pts)

2nd - Meg Myers - Desire (86 pts)
2nd - Jade Bird - Uh Huh (86 pts)
4th - The Doors - Waiting For The Sun (85 pts)
5th - The Gathering - Strange Machines (71 pts)
6th - The HU - Yuve Yuve Yu (69 pts)
6th - Bach - Mass In B Minor, Kyrie (69 pts)
8th - System Of A Down - Aerials (68 pts)
9th - Foo Fighters - Everlong (64 pts)
10th - Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Rewrite (60 pts)
11th - Bat For Lashes - Winter Fields (55 pts)
12th - Bad Sons - Cardiac Arrest (49 pts)

So Sedai is the second person to get one through to the Final

Round 3 will be up shortly.

1. The Prodigy - Breathe
2. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
3. SKÁLD - Run
4. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
5. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
6. Metallica - One
7. Brahms - Symphony No. 4, Movement 3
8. Halsey - Without Me (live piano version)
9. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
10. The Warning - Ugh

Round 4 nom:
Gaelic Storm - Scalliwag

1. Metallica - One
  2. The Prodigy - Breathe
  3. Concrete Blonde - Everybody Knows
  4. Halsey - Without Me (Live piano version)
  5. The Warning - Ugh
  6. Church Of The Cosmic Skull - Cold Sweat
  7. Wagakki Band - Tengaku
  8. Demented Are Go - Bodies In The Basement
  9. SKÁLD - Run
  10. Brahms - Symphony No.4, Movement 3

Round 4
The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter