The Greatest Movie Speeches

Tools    

"So then you're aware of it. Our connection. You see I don't fully understand how it happened, perhaps some part of you imprinted onto me, something overwritten or copied.. it is at this point irrelevant. What matters is that whatever happened happened for a reason. I killed you Mister Anderson, I watched you die (with a certain satisfaction I might add), and then something happened. Something that I knew was impossible but it happened anyway. You destroyed me Mister Anderson. Afterwards, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey.. and here I stand because of you Mister Anderson, because of you I'am no longer and agent of this system, because of you I've changed.. I'm unplugged; a new man, so to speak like you apparently free. But as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here. We're not here because we're free, we're here because we're not free, there's no escaping reason.. no denying purpose because as we both know, without purpose.. we would not exist.
It is purpose that created us,
purpose that connects us,
purpose that pulls us,
that guides us,
that drives us.
It is purpose that defines.
purpose that binds us.
We're here because of you Mister Anderson, we're here to take from you what you tried to take from us. Purpose."

- Agent Smith, The Matrix Reloaded

Isn't there another thread, a fairly recent one, that deals with great speeches/monologues?

I smell a thread-merge a'comin'...

The speech that William Lichtner (Charlie Korsmo) gives after revealing his plan to humiliate Mike Dexter in "Can't Hardly Wait".

Say what you want, I love that movie.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Does Shakespeare count?

Evolution in Progress...
Oh man...Gibson's speach (the THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES...BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM) is insanely mezmorising. I also like Antonio Banderas's speach in 13th Warrior (the FOR ALL WE SHOULD HAVE SAID...AND HAD NOT SAID one) it is a favorite for us to chant when me and my buddies get blitzed...actually we do everything from that movie when we get smashed

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

Not the greatest flick in the world, but a fun popcorn movie non the less; this speech from ID4 always sticks in my head.

"In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind - that word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can’t be consumed by our petty differences any more. We will be united in our common interest. Perhaps it is fate that today is fourth of July. And you will, once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression or persecution, but from annihilation. We’re fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday but as the day when the world declared in one voice, 'We will not go quietly into the night, we will not vanish without a fight, we’re going to live on, we’re going to survive. Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

i no how sad this may sound but the speech made by john hannah in four weddings and a funeral, at the funeral was really moving and it sounded like whoever wrote it really put a lot of effort into it.

cazz
x

I would say in "my cousin vinnie" the last court scene which proves the boys innocent by vinnie's fiance. totally fierce

I've looked and looked and can't find it on YouTube for the life of me, but my thoughts as to the topic of this thread: the "dinner table speech" from 1983's Of Unknown Origin. I watch it in total amazement and awe every time I watch the film.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Baldwin's Glengarry is up there for sure.

Tommy Lee Jone's in the end of No Country

The Joker's "Scars stories" in TDK
and of course

To Kill A Mockingbird

A Time To Kill

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Jack Nicholson's rant about his trouble with women in that church scene in The Witches of Eastwick. I never much cared for Nicholson until that scene.

Also Cagney's fast-flowing, non-stop instruction to workers in the Coca Cola office in Berlin in One, Two, Three. It runs several minutes with Cagney snapping fingers and talking as fast as he can.