There Will Be Blood- A PTA Club Discussion

→ in
Tools    

Watched it for probably the fifth time tonight. What a film. Almost every movie I watch of PTA I think, "now this is his best". Have at it mofos. I am obviously not very adept at getting these discussions started so maybe someone has some early thoughts.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I first saw There Will Be Blood in theatres when I took my wife. Big mistake. She hated it. She also hated No Country For Old Men from the same year so I was 0/2 for films. It's been an ongoing joke where if I ask her if she liked a movie or not, she'll say it's not as bad as There Will Be Blood.

She leaned over to me after the first 20 minutes and said "No one is talking". I think that was the point she knew she hated it and it was the point that I knew I loved it.

While I *think* I still hold Magnolia as my favourite, this is without a doubt his best looking film and one that has the intensity to match. PTA films have two of my favourite performances, this is one of them. DDL is unmatched here and while some might think he overdoes it, he captured the deadly sin of greed perfectly. Skillful direction, beautiful cinematography and an oddly engaging score all elevate an already 'perfect' film.

There Will Be Blood also marks the last film that I even liked from PTA. The Master bored me and I couldn't bother to finish Inherent Vice.

Suspect's Reviews

As i said i'm going to sit There Will Be Blood out, seen it enough including a few months back. One of my favourite films, my favourite PTA and still my favourite since 2000. Will join in the discussion if some interesting things come up.

Sorry about missing PDL, it's been all these Horrors i've been watching for the challenge that got in the way of it. Going to rewatch it at the start of next month and i'll bump that thread then.

I first saw There Will Be Blood in theatres when I took my wife. Big mistake. She hated it. She also hated No Country For Old Men from the same year so I was 0/2 for films. It's been an ongoing joke where if I ask her if she liked a movie or not, she'll say it's not as bad as There Will Be Blood.

She leaned over to me after the first 20 minutes and said "No one is talking". I think that was the point she knew she hated it and it was the point that I knew I loved it.

While I *think* I still hold Magnolia as my favourite, this is without a doubt his best looking film and one that has the intensity to match. PTA films have two of my favourite performances, this is one of them. DDL is unmatched here and while some might think he overdoes it, he captured the deadly sin of greed perfectly. Skillful direction, beautiful cinematography and an oddly engaging score all elevate an already 'perfect' film.

There Will Be Blood also marks the last film that I even liked from PTA. The Master bored me and I couldn't bother to finish Inherent Vice.
Every time I sit through those first 20 minutes I love it more. Such a perfectly paced film that I wouldn't remove a minute of. That being said I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt my ex would have felt the exact same way.

Feel like The Master is my fave PTA now but The Master, There Will Be Blood, and Magnolia are absolute masterpieces. I love Punch Drunk and Boogie just as much but feel they don't have the prestige of those three.

The best movie of the 21st century.
I agree. I knew from the moment I first saw it (went to the theatres solo to see it) that I just watched a modern cinematic classic. Unless there's a film that comes out the next three years that's better (doubtful) we can say it's the best movie of the last two decades.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I agree. I knew from the moment I first saw it (went to the theatres solo to see it) that I just watched a modern cinematic classic. Unless there's a film that comes out the next three years that's better (doubtful) we can say it's the best movie of the last two decades.
I like Buffalo '66 more (it's my #10) but that was 19 years ago

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Has anyone read Oil!? I was thinking of reading it after my Nabokov binge right now but have heard mix things. Haven't read any Upton Sinclair.
I did, but I remember it being quite different from the movie.. I think the first 50-75 pages were similar.. I remember Plainview was more human, which I liked.