Rate The Ghostbusters Films

Tools    

Rate all three of the Ghostbusters films including the original two 80s movies and the reboot from last year.

I rate both of the first two a 10/10 each, which I admit is largely due to bias from my childhood, however I still find both are immensely entertaining and rewatchable with a lot to like and even with some of the flaws there's IMO much more good than bad. I'm one of the few who really likes the second film and rates it as highly as the original, though I know most would disagree. I find both have stood the test of time very well and the sequel is a film I never understood the heavy hatred it tends to get. Both movies along with the animated series were a massive staple of my childhood.

I still haven't seen the reboot and have no real interest in it. The trailers were so off-putting for me and even reading some of the comments that it wasn't as bad as expected I still have a hard time drumming up the enthusiasm for it. One day I'll probably give it a whirl but I don't suspect it'll be any time soon. As a long-time fan of the original two films and someone who also enjoyed both animated series it just doesn't interest me.

1.Ghostbusters

2.Ghostbusters II

3.Ghostbusters (2016)

Ghostbusters to me is a prime example of a close to perfect comedy. The sequel isn't nearly as good, but with the same cast, and crew it's hard to hate. I don't think the new one is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Average, but perfectly watchable. It's good for a single watch, there's some good stuff in there.

The best Ghostbusters sequel to me is the 2009 video game, it's great.

I love that game, its only flaw is that it's too short.
I was actually ok with the length. Due to my preference of short video games over long ones, and that it kept the story more contained. I can only imagine where they would've went with it with 10 more hours, or so. The multiplayer was pretty damn fun for a bit too, although not many people ever played that portion of the game for too long.

1.Ghostbusters

2.Ghostbusters II

3.Ghostbusters (2016)

Ghostbusters to me is a prime example of a close to perfect comedy. The sequel isn't nearly as good, but with the same cast, and crew it's hard to hate. I don't think the new one is anywhere near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Average, but perfectly watchable. It's good for a single watch, there's some good stuff in there.

The best Ghostbusters sequel to me is the 2009 video game, it's great.
I pretty much agree with your ratings and reasons save one, I'd put Ghostbusters 2016 at the same score as GB2. It got a lot of unneeded hate and a lot of it was because it was rebooting a classic comedy. I think if they had gone the continuation route instead of reboot, easy considering they had the surviving cast come back anyways, I feel it would have done much better.

Also agree completely on the GB 2009 video game.. written and voiced by the original cast it was the third Ghostbusters we never got. (And in interviews they outright said that too)

The most loathsome of all goblins
I was actually ok with the length. Due to my preference of short video games over long ones, and that it kept the story more contained. I can only imagine where they would've went with it with 10 more hours, or so. The multiplayer was pretty damn fun for a bit too, although not many people ever played that portion of the game for too long.
I think it could have worked. The main story was fine as is, but it would have been easy enough to break it up with self-contained sections with their own side-plots. Or at the very least have some bonus levels once you've completed the game.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters II

I pretty much agree with your ratings and reasons save one, I'd put Ghostbusters 2016 at the same score as GB2. It got a lot of unneeded hate and a lot of it was because it was rebooting a classic comedy. I think if they had gone the continuation route instead of reboot, easy considering they had the surviving cast come back anyways, I feel it would have done much better.

Also agree completely on the GB 2009 video game.. written and voiced by the original cast it was the third Ghostbusters we never got. (And in interviews they outright said that too)
I do think the reboot does some things better than Ghostbusters II. Some of the humor is more memorable, some of the effects are more inspired, and I feel the cast and crew were a lot more into it, since really Ghostbusters II was essentially a cash grab at the time, the original crew didn't really want to do it, but the studio convinced them. I think it's all falls on the cast. There's just something about the pairing of Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson that's just so enjoyable, and iconic, even if they're in something that's really only just average like Ghostbusters II. The cast in the new one is good, they all work well together, especially Kate McKinnon, she's a scene stealer every time she's on the screen. But, in the original, I feel like every actor brought their A game, it's easily some of their best roles, largely because they had the material to back that charisma up. I can't really speak much about Leslie Jones since I haven't watch much of her work, but I can think of much funnier performances from Wiig, and McCarthy, like Bridesmaids, The Heat, Anchorman 2, Spy, and so forth.

I do think the reboot does some things better than Ghostbusters II, some of the humor is more memorable, some of the effects are more inspired, and I feel the cast and crew were a lot more into it, since really Ghostbusters II was essentially a cash grab at the time, the original crew didn't really want to do it, but the studio convinced them. I think it's all falls on the cast. There's just something about the pairing of Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis, and Hudson that's just so enjoyable, and iconic, even if they're in something that's really only just average like Ghostbusters II.
Yeah the opening of GB2 really set the mood for the entire film to me. they were tired, disgusted, and didn't want to do it but wanted a fast buck. the opening of that film completely reflected where they were in RL.
The cast in the new one is good, they all work well together, especially Kate McKinnon.
If she was the Egon/Tech girl I completely agree. between her and Chris Hemsworth they set the bar for comedy that the others just couldn't keep up with. (Queef jokes? really?)I thought it was a shame, between people being sour because they were rebooting the franchise, and then people GETTING sour because they made some stupid comments about if you don't like it you're just a misogynist, I thought reception-wise it got a raw deal. I went in with the lowest of expectations after some very lame trailers and was pleasantly surprised. hopefully people give it another watch after a couple years and come away with better feelings about it.

If she was the Egon/Tech girl I completely agree. between her and Chris Hemsworth they set the bar for comedy that the others just couldn't keep up with. (Queef jokes? really?)I thought it was a shame, between people being sour because they were rebooting the franchise, and then people GETTING sour because they made some stupid comments about if you don't like it you're just a misogynist, I thought reception-wise it got a raw deal. I went in with the lowest of expectations after some very lame trailers and was pleasantly surprised. hopefully people give it another watch after a couple years and come away with better feelings about it.
She was, I really liked her. There was just something so delightfully off putting about her performance that I found really entertaining. She gave off the appearance, and some traits of an Egon-esque character, but she was a lot more bonkers than how Ramis played that character, she definitely made it her own. The controversy surrounding the movie was just flat out ludicrous. I don't mind a conversation, but that just got way out of hand. I never got into it, because it immediately got way too unreasonably critical for all the wrong reasons. Rather than people being concerned about the quality of the film itself, which was fairly reasonable, since the trailer was pretty meh, almost everyone just focused their criticisms on the female cast. I get it if you don't like those specific actresses, but it was more about them being women more than a dislike of their comedy, or acting abilities. Of course, I can't speak for everyone, and I did hear a lot of fair arguments about the movie, but I was seeing a lot of that.

She was, I really liked her. There was just something so delightfully off putting about her performance that I found really entertaining. She gave off the appearance, and some traits of an Egon-esque character, but she was a lot more bonkers than how Ramis played that character, she definitely made it her own. The controversy surrounding the movie was just flat out ludicrous. I don't mind a conversation, but that just got way out of hand. I never got into it, because it immediately got way too unreasonably critical for all the wrong reasons. Rather than people being concerned about the quality of the film itself, which was fairly reasonable, since the trailer was pretty meh, almost everyone just focused their criticisms on the female cast. I get it if you don't like those specific actresses, but it was more about them being women more than a dislike of their comedy, or acting abilities. Of course, I can't speak for everyone, and I did hear a lot of fair arguments about the movie, but I was seeing a lot of that.
You nailed it with her being Egon-esque, I was thinking what would have worked better was sequel, not reboot, the guys are older, getting real tired of getting slimed and carrying around those proton packs, they're teaching the kids/nieces to wok in the family business, The one can remain Zeddmore's niece, Tech girl can be Egon and Janine's kid, one of them Venkman and Dana's kid, maybe an outsider for the 4th as I never saw goofy Ray breeding...

Instead of wasting time establishing a universe we all already know, they can just hit the ground running, the guys being tired of it, their heart not being in it since Egon was killed, maybe out having a life when they get a call, telling the kids, "Handle it, you're ready..." maybe have them suit up one last time for the ending before officially retiring, giving them the business...

I just didn't understand reboot when they had the entire surviving cast popping up anyways (Except Louis of course cause RM isn't active anymore) it just seemed like they missed the boat not going GB3 and maybe laying aside some of the "We don't want women!" attitude if the guys themselves presented them to the audience.

I just didn't understand reboot when they had the entire surviving cast popping up anyways (Except Louis of course cause RM isn't active anymore) it just seemed like they missed the boat not going GB3 and maybe laying aside some of the "We don't want women!" attitude if the guys themselves presented them to the audience.
I feel like that was largely why the studios wanted them to make a few brief appearances. I feel like they all kind of knew it was going to get some backlash (well, maybe not to the extreme degree it turned into) which made them a little nervous. So they got them to as a kind of confirmation that the original cast approved the project, which I'm sure they thought would kill a lot of the concern, which, of course, it didn't.

I feel like that was largely why the studios wanted them to make a few brief appearances. I feel like they all kind of knew it was going to get some backlash (well, maybe not to the extreme degree it turned into) which made them a little nervous. So they got them to as a kind of confirmation that the original cast approved the project, which I'm sure they thought would kill a lot of the concern, which, of course, it didn't.
As a GB fan I think I actually found it a bit insulting to have the old crew in it with token appearances... those aren't bit players, they are THE Ghostbusters...

I totally forgot the game. It was a lot of fun and to me is the true capper to the series. Loved how it connected plot elements of the original two movies together and tied up some hanging threads. I wish we could've gotten both a new movie and game with the original crew.

As a GB fan I think I actually found it a bit insulting to have the old crew in it with token appearances... those aren't bit players, they are THE Ghostbusters...
Yeah, I would've been fine with them being completely detached from the movie entirely. I think the ship was already sailed on them playing their same characters again after the passing of Ramis. If they don't have the proton packs on, I really don't want to see them in a Ghostbusters movie, it's all a bit distracting, and a bit tacky.

I totally forgot the game. It was a lot of fun and to me is the true capper to the series. Loved how it connected plot elements of the original two movies together and tied up some hanging threads. I wish we could've gotten both a new movie and game with the original crew.
Yeah, you can think Murray for that, he was always the one keeping production from ever truly forming.

Yeah, I would've been fine with them being completely detached from the movie entirely. I think the ship was already sailed on them playing their same characters again after the passing of Ramis. If they don't have the proton packs on, I really don't want to see them in a Ghostbusters movie, it's all a bit distracting, and a bit tacky.
I would have liked to see them one last time literally passing the torch.. or proton pack in this case. Something to add to and continue the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 films, not replace them.

I would have liked to see them one last time literally passing the torch.. or proton pack in this case. Something to add to and continue the Ghostbusters 1 & 2 films, not replace them.
Part of me still wants to see that, but I just feel like seeing the three of them just wouldn't have the same impact as having the full team, because as I said before, the four of them equally helped make Ghostbusters a classic, not any single cast member. That's why I still haven't watched something like Blues Brothers 2000. Reboot it if you'd like with two new cast members, I don't care. But, if you get Akyroyd, it's just too hard to replicate why Blues Brothers was so good with just him, or someone else that isn't Belushi.

Part of me still wants to see that, but I just feel like seeing the three of them just wouldn't have the same impact as having the full team, because as I said before, the four of them equally helped make Ghostbusters a classic, not any single cast member. That's why I still haven't watched something like Blues Brothers 2000. Reboot it if you'd like with two new cast members, I don't care. But, if you get Akyroyd, it's just too hard to replicate why Blues Brothers was so good with just him, or someone else that isn't Belushi.
I really think it could have worked though if they were sad and tired because they lost Egon and just wanted to move on. that could have hit 2 chordes with the audience as they're sad to see the original Ghostbusters fade off and also sad about Ramis being gone as well.

As sad as it was to see them reduced to bit part cameos I found it sadder Ramis/Egon the character got zero send off at all considering he was one of the creators of the franchise.