Thor: Ragnarok

→ in
Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
I. Love. Cate. Blanchett. Just. Wow.

Looks fantastic! Really enjoy the Thor films.
It's like the return of Shelley!

... anyone?

You can't win an argument just by being right!

I love her as well. Trailer looks great fun.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Is that who dat is!?! She does look really impressive. Then again, if Thanos is crushing on you, you probably are.

Could be the CGI... the trailer might well be suffering with the same unfinished effects that Justice League had... but an armoured Hulk just looks wring tbh.
Big, green, wears armour = Warcraft.
Lol yeah I get it, it'll look better on the big screen for sure

Welcome to the human race...
I also want to know what the deal is with TONGO.

In any case, I feel like it's a little simple to compare this to GotG simply because it's got Colourful Marvel Space Weirdness. GotG came off as a Star Wars riff, but this looks more like Flash Gordon.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I also want to know what the deal is with TONGO.

In any case, I feel like it's a little simple to compare this to GotG simply because it's got Colourful Marvel Space Weirdness. GotG came off as a Star Wars riff, but this looks more like Flash Gordon.
Wasn't just the colourful Marvel Space Weirdnesd tho, the whole trailer came of as GOTG, looks like a completely different vibe compared to the previous 2 Thors.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Wasn't just the colourful Marvel Space Weirdnesd tho, the whole trailer came of as GOTG, looks like a completely different vibe compared to the previous 2 Thors.
Although never panned, the Thor movies are often referenced as the ones you can miss. Marvel couldn't / shouldn't let one of their A-listers languish with another middle of the road movie. I give them credit for changing the pace (not for deleting Natalie).

It just seems like too easy a comparison based on the superficial elements (classic rock! quips! bright colours! aliens!), as can be seen by everyone else making the exact same comparison.

Since for me the Thor movies are by far the least re-watchable of the first two Marvel phases, I am all for lightening them the F up. I love Taika Waititi and am now more than just curious but actually even looking forward to what he did inside the megabudget superhero sandbox.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, Waititi is easily the biggest draw for me, even though his movies don't have crazy for him like they seem to do with others.

More than anything I'm loving the Jack Kirby set design. Marvel needs to get that Fantastic Four package back so Galactus can join in.

Thor has always seemed singularly unappealing and I haven't watched any of them, yay.
You haven't missed anything. Since the last one came out in 2013, you won't even need to see it to be caught up on this one. They'll just explain it in the opening.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Well that looks kind of awesome. And while it may be an easy comparison to make it certainly does appear to have a bit of a Guardians of a Galaxy vibe to it. While the first two Thor films were light and humorous it was quite broad, fish-out-of-water humour; this looks like it may well be a bit more offbeat and quirky. Which shouldn't come as too much of a surprise given Waititi's involvement.

And I know some people were expecting/hoping that the film may go down the route of being a bit more gritty and epic, evoking the classic work of Walt Simonson or the current run by Jason Aaron. However I'm not sure that approach would work on screen. If they try to go very serious it could easily come off as being just ridiculous and portentous, similar to Man of Steel for instance. So I think embracing the fun and the campness of it works

There's loads of stuff in the trailer to love. I'm especially excited by Blanchett as Hela. I hope she's given enough material to work with to really make an impression. Though I think you can definitely tell that there's still loads of VFX work to be done with a few moments that aren't quite up to scratch, particularly in the arena sequences.

I just worry about them trying to squeeze too much into one movie though. From the trailer you've got Hela taking down Asgard and Thor stumbling into Planet Hulk. On top of that there's also meant to be some involvement for Doctor Strange. Plus the whole Loki-Odin situation to resolve from the end of The Dark World. The only danger is they try to cover too much and end up not doing justice to any of it.

Also I can't believe it took to the 3rd movie for them to make use of the Immigrant Song.

Based on the available information, my guess would be that

WARNING: "Thor: Ragnarok (possibly, this is just a theory)" spoilers below
the film starts by following on from the Doctor Strange mid-credits scene by having Thor and Strange track down Loki in New York, which then leads into the story proper when Hela shows up. I'm thinking it'll probably be like Falcon showing up for one scene in Ant-Man without having any significant bearing on the rest of the plot.

In any case, I do appreciate how the MCU really seems to be leaning into differentiating itself from the "grounded" DCEU by taking advantage of its more fantastic elements as it moves into Phase 3 (both in terms of aesthetics and tones). It also feels like they're learning to trust the directors a bit more with each new phase - I still remember how Edgar Wright quit Ant-Man because of creative differences, yet Waititi is a similarly idiosyncratic filmmaker.

This trailer was bad. Holy crap very BAD!
Elaborate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that trailer, at least to me, just made the least anticipated of the 3 Marvel movies this year just become the most. At least judging by the Internet's reaction. Which actually makes it quite a great trailer to me. I'd put it on par with The Dark Knight trailer in terms of exciting everyone and rewatcahability.

As far as the Thor franchise I don't understand why the first Thor gets so much hate. I thought it was one of the better entries into the MCU. It had humor and heart and introduced the best villain the MCU has offered in Loki. I think the first one gets grouped in with the 2nd one and it gets slighted because of that. The 2nd one is OK enough but definitely is the most forgettable MCU movie. It leaned to heavily on the romantic story.

And I'm OK with the GOTG vibe. They are trying to tie these movies together makes sense. Plus it worked like aces for GOTG should work for Thor as well.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)