Miss Vicky's 101 Favorite Songs Of the Moment

Tools    

The first two are truly great songs. Waiting For The Miracle is OK. It's one of those songs I quite like to hear, but then usually tire of before it ends.

Pretty good stuff, Miss Vicky.

*Forces you to listen to Autechre for 24 hours*

You're dead!

15. "Thinking About Leaving" by Dwight Yoakam
Album Title: Last Chance For a Thousand Years
Year: 1999

In my teens, my dad began an inexplicable (and thankfully now over) obsession with watching Country Music Television. I usually don't like Country and Dwight Yoakam is an artist I never thought would be part of my collection, but I've loved this song from the first time I heard it. But over the years I forgot about it. Then suddenly while browsing the iTunes store a couple of years ago, I remembered that there was one Yoakam song that I liked. I couldn't remember the title of it so I began searching through awful song after awful song until I found it. Now I listen to it constantly.

14. "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
Album Title: Live Bullet
Year: 1976

I know I said earlier that I usually prefer Seger's softer songs, but there's just no beating the lyrics to this one. Bob Seger is a great storyteller.

13. "Ich tu dir weh" by Rammstein
Album Title: Liebe ist für alle da
Year: 2009

I remember hearing the bands breakthrough single "Du hast" back when I was in high school and not being particularly fond of it. But a year or two ago, the band was mentioned on another forum I frequented at the time and I got the urge to hear them again. After sorting through many interesting and bizarre videos on YouTube, I came across this and loved it instantly. Till Lindemann has an awesome voice. The sadistic lyrics don't hurt either.

12. "Not Enough Time" by INXS
Album Title: Welcome to Wherever You Are
Year: 1992

What can I say? Michael Hutchence makes me horny. R.I.P. sexy man.

11. "Hurdy Gurdy Man" by Donovan
Album Title: The Hurdy Gurdy Man
Year: 1968

I instantly fell in love with this song after hearing it in Zodiac and I play it ad nauseam.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
15. "Thinking About Leaving" by Dwight Yoakam
Album Title: Last Chance For a Thousand Years

In my teens, my dad began an inexplicable (and thankfully now over) obsession with watching Country Music Television. I usually don't like Country and Dwight Yoakam is an artist I never thought would be part of my collection, but I've loved this song from the first time I heard it. But over the years I forgot about it. Then suddenly while browsing the iTunes store a couple of years ago, I remembered that there was one Yoakam song that I liked. I couldn't remember the title of it so I began searching through awful song after awful song until I found it. Now I listen to it constantly.

14. "Turn the Page" by Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
Album Title: Live Bullet
Year: 1976

I like Bob Seger, and "Thinking About Leaving" is one of my favorite Dwight Yoakam songs.

I'm way back so humour me.

Billie Jean and Kashmir in the one post you could have topped that with three of the Cheeky Girls songs, and it would still be one of your best sets .

10. "Go Insane" by Fleetwood Mac
Album Title: The Dance
Year: 1997

This is listed as a Fleetwood Mac song only because this particular performance is from their 1997 live album The Dance. This is actually a reworked acoustic version of one Lindsey Buckingham’s solo songs (Here’s the original, from 1984). In this live performance it is slowed down, stripped down and absolutely chilling.

9. "Mein Teil" by Rammstein
Album Title: Reise, Reise
Year: 2004

This is another song I stumbled across on youtube. The creepy factor of the overall sound of the song goes to eleven for me and did so even before I knew about the inspiration for it.

8. "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" by Lindsey Buckingham
Album Title: Under the Skin
Year: 2006

While I much admire Buckingham’s prowess on guitar, I admire him just as much as a lyricist and a singer. I think this song serves as a great showcase for both talents.

7. "Time Precious Time" by Lindsey Buckingham
Album Title: Gift Of Screws
Year: 2008

This song is pretty divisive among Buckingham’s fans, but I think you can see where I stand on the issue. The guitar work on this is fantastic. Crank it up.

6. "Cry To Me" by Mudcrutch
Album Title: Playback (Box Set, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
Year: Recorded in 1974, Released in 1995

This bluesy, gorgeous cover of Solomon Burke’s classic only appeared on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers 1995 boxed set Playback. With all due respect to the original and to the cover by The Rolling Stones, this version is breathtaking.

5. "Need You Tonight" by INXS
Album Title: Kick
Year: 1987

I remember first seeing this video at some point in my childhood – some point long before puberty and a strong interest in the opposite sex – and thinking to myself even then “Man, he’s cute!” To me, there is no song sexier than this one. The seductive lyrics and that voice are completely orgasmic. Add to that the video with Michael Hutchence in his prime (and singing with a rat on his arm, no less) and I’m in ecstasy.

4. "Keep Me In Your Heart" by
Warren Zevon
Album Title: The Wind
Year: 2003

Throughout his career, Warren Zevon seemed to have a fascination with death and often made (usually humorous) references to it in his lyrics. But in 2002, Zevon was diagnosed with mesothelioma and was told he only had about six months to live. Faced with the stark reality of his own mortality, Zevon headed into the studio and began to write and record his final album. He was joined by many of his friends and peers including Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, and Emmylou Harris. The album as a whole is a work of greatness, but “Keep Me In Your Heart” is his masterpiece.

Warren Zevon died on September 7, 2003, a little more than a year after his diagnosis, at the age of 56. He was posthumously awarded two Grammys – a recognition he never received in his lifetime.

3. "Since You Said You Loved Me" by Tom Petty
Album Title: Playback (Tom Petty and Heartbreakers Box Set), Released 1995
Year: Recorded in 1974

Written and recorded for a solo album that never happened, this stunningly beautiful tune was only released on the 1994 box set Playback. I know I’ve said this of many of the songs listed here, but it gives me chills every time I hear it.

2. "Room At The Top" by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Album Title: Echo

I recently read that Tom Petty considers Echo to be his least favorite album of his career. As a near lifelong fan I can’t help but disagree. The album as a whole is absolutely wonderful, but this song of loneliness and heartache stands out to me as the absolute best of his career.

1. "Cast Away Dreams" by Lindsey Buckingham
Album Title: Under the Skin
Year: 2006

Another fantastic showcase of Buckingham’s writing abilities, this song about lost dreams and facing reality touches me like no other song ever has.

Before today, I think the only Warren Zevon song I had ever heard was "Werewolves of London". This is a very nice song.
Well I did post "Mohammed's Radio" earlier in the thread.

"Werewolves of London" is more typical of the sort of songs he made in his career, though. Much of his music had a very apparent sense of humor to it, like in "Mr. Bad Example," "My Sh*t's F*cked Up," "Hit Someone (The Hockey Song)" and this goofy gem:

Don't think I didn't see your original post. Your number 1 can't possibly be better than mine. Because I'm quite sure it's neither Buckingham nor Petty.

Actually, I didn't delete a post this time. I just edited the original.

So HA!