Recommend Me Some Movies from the 1960s

Tools    

Watched this movie in class and had this song stuck in my head for weeks

Fire walk with me.

and I fully expect not to like 2001 when I get to it.
You'll probably hate it since you really care for characters in films and 2001 basically has no characters at all. It's not really about characters or plot. You have to see it though.

Im surprised that not many have seen William Wyler's "The Collector" from 1965.. I thought that was a great film... Terence Stamp is so creepy in it.... It would be a highly recommended film from me....

I don't like Spartacus either and I fully expect not to like 2001 when I get to it. Don't know if I'll even bother with Lolita.
It is about an old pervert and his lusting after a 14 year old. You make the call. I only saw it to complete the Kubrick feature filmography.

These are all my
s and
s in the 60s:

Psycho
The adventure/L'avventura
The apartment

Il posto
One, two, three
Plácido
Viridiana
Yojimbo

Days of wine and roses
Harakiri/Seppuku
La Jetée
The easy life/Il sorpasso
The exterminating angel/El ángel exterminador
The man who shot Liberty Valance
What ever happened to Baby Jane?

High and low/Tengoku to jigoku
The executioner/El verdugo
The great escape

A fistful of dollars/Per un pugno di dollari
Dr. Strangelove
The naked kiss
The night of the iguana

Chimes at midnight/Falstaff
Doctor Zhivago
For a few dollars more/Per qualche dollaro in più
Pierrot le fou
Red Beard/Akahige <--- So good it was avatar-worthy
Repulsion
Simon of the desert/Simón del desierto

Persona
Red angel/Akai tenshi
The taking of power by Louis XIV/La prise de pouvoir par Louis XIV

Happy end/Stastny konec
Samurai Rebellion/Jôi-uchi: Hairyô tsuma shimatsu
The graduate

Hour of the wolf/Vargtimmen
Kill!/Kiru
Once upon a time in the West/C'era una volta il West
Planet of the apes
Rosemary's baby
Shame/Skammen

Take the money and run
The wild bunch

Five more that are perhaps lesser known but among my very favorites are Billy Wilder's Cold War Screwballer One, Two, Three, Arthur Hiller's WWII satire The Americanization of Emily, the movie Kirk Douglas often said was his favorite among his own work the modern Western Lonely Are the Brave, Richard Brooks' rollicking adventure The Professionals, and John Schlessinger's lovely adatpation of Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd starring Julie Christie.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	60s 5.jpg
Views:	1254
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	16373  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I know Mark loves and is often recommending One, Two, Three. I have The Professionals recorded too, I like ensemble Westerns, they're normally fun. Got a few Sixties films recorded actually, off the top of my head: A Hard Day's Night, Cape Fear, In Cold Blood, Yojimbo and When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (I know this will exite bluedeed who has mentioned Naruse before, I think it's 1960 anyway).

Looks like I've a reason to watch more Bergman then.
You need a reason? I need a gun to my head.
Saw it. Hated it.

Kubrick.
Like all good people do.

I knew that would happen.
So did I. Because it's crap.
Im surprised that not many have seen William Wyler's "The Collector" from 1965.. I thought that was a great film... Terence Stamp is so creepy in it.... It would be a highly recommended film from me....
If the film is half as creepy as the book, I'd recommend the film too.

I'm going to struggle with the 60's. Still, it'll be better than the 50's. I might just give up.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm going to recommend some British films, although I don't know whether you will like them, MV.

Far From the Madding Crowd is a great adaptation of the book. Terence Stamp is really good. Period drama.
Blowup is a strange but (to me at least) fascinating film, very 'swinging sixties'.
If... is another one that goes a bit surreal, very good.
Peeping Tom, a really creepy drama
The Italian Job is a classic

There's also a whole load of social realist dramas (many of which aren't nearly as grim as they sound, although they're not rom coms)
A Taste of Honey (one of my all time favourite films)
The Leather Boys
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning

Two Dirk Bogarde films worth a look are Victim and The Servant.

David Lean films, Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.

In fact, most of my favourite 60s films are British films. Somebody recommend me some foreign 60s films!

Breakfast at Tiffany's!

I'm going to recommend some British films, although I don't know whether you will like them, MV.

Far From the Madding Crowd is a great adaptation of the book. Terence Stamp is really good. Period drama.
I agree with this... I watched it recently and there is something mesmerizing about Terence Stamp

I have seen a few of his films within the past year...

Oh Miss Vicky, "Teorema" could be a movie recommendation.. it came out in 1968 and Terence Stamp plays the "Visitor"... Interesting film to say at least.....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063678/...nm_flmg_act_73

If you want to see some more experimental stuff, i can recommend stuff like Kurt Kren and Stan Brakhage.

For instance 10/65: Selbstverstümmelung (1965) by Kurt Kren is available on youtube:

Im not sure, i can personally recommend it, but Wavelenght by Michael Snow is also available on youtube:

I think most of the movies I'd recommend have already been mentioned, but I second Thursday's recs of Peeping Tom, A Taste of Honey and Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. Three seminal British films that I think you'd enjoy for some reason, especially the latter two. There's also The Ipcress File if you're into espionage stuff and Michael Caine. But if you see nothing else, you have to see Lawrence of Arabia and The Apartment.