Gotham

Tools    

Just finished the current episode of "Gotham" on Hulu Plus...
WARNING: "" spoilers below
"did Jim Gordon just give young Bruce Wayne the idea to become................?"

Lord High Filmquisitor
Just finished the current episode of "Gotham" on Hulu Plus...
WARNING: "" spoilers below
"did Jim Gordon just give young Bruce Wayne the idea to become................?"
I thought that Bruce got that idea from the Balloonman in the previous episode. He was following that story pretty closely.

I was again pretty disappointed by Fish in yeaterday's episode. They seem to be incapable of writing her as anything other than a sexual object.

I thought that Bruce got that idea from the Balloonman in the previous episode. He was following that story pretty closely.

I was again pretty disappointed by Fish in yeaterday's episode. They seem to be incapable of writing her as anything other than a sexual object.
You know Fish Mooney is a character made up for this show... she's not in any comic storyline.... for all I care.. they could write her out...

Lord High Filmquisitor
You know Fish Mooney is a character made up for this show... she's not in any comic storyline.... for all I care.. they could write her out...
I do know that. She's also proven to be the most consistantly disappointing part of the show (for me). I honestly wish that they would write her out, since Penguin is simply proving to be a much more interesting and competent version of her.

I do know that. She's also proven to be the most consistantly disappointing part of the show (for me). I honestly wish that they would write her out, since Penguin is simply proving to be a much more interesting and competent version of her.
Well I know Batman .. I enjoy comics about the villians of Batman and their origin stories.. most of my friends read comics including Batman... Fish Mooney is not even in the books and the creators of "Gotham" even admitted they created it for the show.... so as far as Im concerned being a Batman fan.... they can write her out anytime... however... I cant wait for them to put Jonathan Crane on the show!!

Ok...

I'm not reading other posts on here as the Pilot has only just been shown in the UK... Episode 2 is on Monday.

Pilot Episode
Interested in seeing how the rewritten Smallville-esk characters are utilised... everyone knew everyone when they were young, Catwoman was a witness to the Wayne murder etc...

... it'll play out ok I think as the story seems to be about Gordon's adventures and hunting the killer of the Waynes with Bruce and Alfred tying in occasionally to the story.

Acting is a bit dodgy, woman who plays Gordon's fiancé is pretty bad and Pinkett-Smith was simply awful. The actor playing Gordon seems miscast too.

There was a sequence of scenes that stuck out too... when the female secretive Cop speaks to Gordon's fiancé about Pepper, then wonders where Gordon got his information before saying "I knew I should never have told her that. I thought I could trust her... we were old friends, and all"... it felt like a cop-out piece of writing.
They obviously couldn't figure out how to get Gordon to find out about the frame and just badly wrote those two scenes rather than try something that was believable

Will give it to Ep 3 and if there's any more "ugh" moments I'll give up.

I just hope it pans out, it's not very often a TV show grabs my interest.

Better not end up being complete gash like Smallville was.

I also hope they don't change Joe Chill... I get the impression they're going to though.

I am the Watcher in the Night
I've only seen the first episode and...I dunno, the aesthetics seemed weird, looked slightly cheap and digitised. I don't even know how to describe it lol But the story was ok if well worn and the performances weren't bad...neither were they memorable. I'll stick with it for a couple more eps and see how it develops.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

So far I'm enjoying The Flash more than Gotham. Neither show is great, but at least The Flash is fun and entertaining and knows what kind of show it wants to be, whereas Gotham is still struggling to find its identity and strike a consistent tone.

One episode of Gotham features people being murdered by balloons, which seems like something from Adam West's or Burton's versions of Batman; then the next episode features a villain who stabs people through the eye with a high-tech version of a switchblade. Half of the characters on the show, including the guy playing James Gordon, seem to be going for a more gritty, crime-drama, Nolan-like approach to the material, whereas others--- Jada Pinkett Smith, in particular--- think they're in a campy, exaggerated, comic book show. I'm fine with either approach, but it'd be nice if everyone involved with the show could get on the same page.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I agree that it's really uneven, but that's still not my major complaint. Unevenness can be ironed out.

There's just a real lack of imagination and creativeness in the show that makes me worry that it has any chance of getting any better. The Penguin is good because the actor rises above his material. He's not written especially well.

With Gotham you'd think there would be so much to explore and something new to being to the table, but it's all the same old tired regurgitated regular crime show stuff. At least the balloon man was a little fun at first. Even that had to end with a cliche.

So far all Gotham is doing is making me like Sleepy Hollow more. I'd give up on it at this point, but it gets played at my house anyway, so I'll just keep paying attention to the Penguin scenes and drawing during the rest.

I saw the first couple of episodes and liked it okay, but (and this is the real test), when it came time to decide what to watch on a given night, I found myself preferring pretty much everything else I had on the DVR. I've got like three Gothams saved up now. I find it difficult to get excited about this.

To be fair, even great shows take awhile to find their footing most of the time, so I'll probably tough it out a bit. But it can be pretty tedious in the early going with these hour long dramas, as they find their bearings, in a way it's a lot less so with comedies, which are both shorter and usually have a couple of good bits even if they falter overall.

And yeah, I'm enjoying The Flash more, too. Being a bit more over the top has its drawbacks; it certainly caps the resonance your series can have, but there's usually a high floor of enjoyability, too.

Anyway, I'll probably keep watching, but you guys are a few ahead of me and it sounds like more of the same. It's a little tempting to bail and just decide I'll do a binge catchup if and when word gets around later that it's found its legs.

Just finished episode 2...

It's losing me. I started playing Angry Birds about halfway through while occasionally looking up to see what was happening.
Can't see me carrying on with it tbh.

^ I enjoyed this second episode more than last weeks episode, it helped by having the wonderful Lili Taylor in as a right oddball - this actress would have been perfect for the role of Fish Mooney instead of Mrs Smith because she can do nasty rather well. Might be a bit bias though as Taylor is one of my favourites and I can't stand Smith.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Is Maroni and his goons dumb or something?

WARNING: "Gotham" spoilers below
Do they not question how Penguin got the money in the first place? A: If he went back BEFORE the hit, he would have told the guys back there and they wouldn't be dead at the table. They were clearly caught by surprise, which leads to
B: There wouldn't be any money left had he been afterwards.

The first thing I said when he was in there with the money was that he set it up and they gave him the one bag to have, which is confirmed by the end.

Suspect's Reviews

Chappie doesn't like the real world
^ I enjoyed this second episode more than last weeks episode, it helped by having the wonderful Lili Taylor in as a right oddball - this actress would have been perfect for the role of Fish Mooney instead of Mrs Smith because she can do nasty rather well. Might be a bit bias though as Taylor is one of my favourites and I can't stand Smith.
You and I seem to be in agreement about everything in this show.

I don't know why they cast Pinkett- Smith. It doesn't seem like her name would bring in the viewers, but maybe I'm wrong. She's just an awful actress. That part needed to be good.

I'm enjoying Gotham a lot. The only thing that I'm curious about is that if the setting takes place in today's time, that would mean when Bruce does become "The Batman" (say in 40 years from the television show's state of presence) that would make it then 2054.

So by any chance "if" the show does eventually make it to The Batman era, will it be like Batman Beyond?

AWESOME. The 5th was best that the last episode. I really enjoy this serie, and I understand what the people say with "I'm in love with a serie".

Comela toda, Breaking Bad.

Just finished Episode 3...Balloon man. Such a unique way of disposing of criminals, it really kind of creeped me out. Loving this show, and again I have to give a shout out to Jada Pinkett Smith as Fish Mooney and especially Robin Lord Taylor, who is absolutely brilliant as Oswald Cobblepot...this guy should be putting together an Emmy reel already.