I'm not old, you're just 12.
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
The Mars Volta - Scab Dates
The White Stripes - Walking With A Ghost

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
How is that? I really like Fiona Apple (at least what little I've heard), but I haven't really listened to her since the 90s.

Originally Posted by Strummer521
How is that? I really like Fiona Apple (at least what little I've heard), but I haven't really listened to her since the 90s.
I really like it. I think it's easily her best cd.

Aw what the hell, every since my favorite comic store closed down I've been wasting my disposable income at the record store near my job.

Good for you. "Tips for Teens" is more fun than a bag of Jesus.(I can't believe I just said that, but it sounded funny in my head).

Sparks are real awesome. Tips for Teens and Funny Face are why I purchased this, but my favorite stuff is a little earlier on albums like Propaganda and Kimono My House.

That Minutemen album is really good. I wasn't expecting much since it was recommended to me in the same sentence with Zen Arcade, which is just about the most overrated thing ever. But it's completely different.

Yeah, from what little I've heard of Zen Arcade, there isn't much to make it stand out. It seems to be made for people who want their songs to have vocals, but don't want the burden of having to actually hear them. Even my own recordings which I've done on a four track have better sound quality than that. As for Minutemen, I've only heard "Corona" by them, which is an awesome song, only kind of scarred by the fact that an instrumental version was used as the theme for that godawful tv show...

PS: I dunno if this fits in the thread but I wandered into a dusty old shop and bought a record today: Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon. The fifth addition to my slowly growing vinyl collection, and the most expensive one at $5.

Corona is an awesome song and is on 'Double Nickels on the Dime' (along with 42 other awesome songs). I travelled across state yesterday for a family gathering, and back again today with the album on shuffle play most of the time.

I've been buying a lot of albums lately now that I have a couple of gift cards and some Christmas money that I feel less reluctant to spend than my own hard earned green stuff. Today I got Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement

I'm gonna have to start spending more on albums now though, as I've sworn off any kind of questionable downloading and I'm kind of addicted to music.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I've been buying a lot of albums lately now that I have a couple of gift cards and some Christmas money that I feel less reluctant to spend than my own hard earned green stuff. Today I got Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain - Pavement
I congratulate you! A very influential work for me.... I love that album.

I got "Nashville Skyline" by Dylan for Christmas. I really like the way Bob sings on this one, crooning almost. If it wasn't for all the country influences I would picture him in a tuxedo laying down the vocal tracks. The duet with the late great Johnny Cash is making the hairs on my arms stand up. I have great expectations on the album.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I got "Nashville Skyline" by Dylan for Christmas. I really like the way Bob sings on this one, crooning almost. If it wasn't for all the country influences I would picture him in a tuxedo laying down the vocal tracks. The duet with the late great Johnny Cash is making the hairs on my arms stand up. I have great expectations on the album.
Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand that album. All his other stuff up to that point was sung in the most emotive character-filled voice that hinted at years of experience and wisdom beyond his actual years on earth. Then on Nashville Skyline, he sounds like a goofball that couldn't tie his own shoes. The better country influenced album IMO is John Wesley Harding. If you don't have that one, I'd recommend it to hear him make music with a country influence before he went off the deep end into full on country. It also features some of his folkiest lyrics.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand that album. All his other stuff up to that point was sung in the most emotive character-filled voice that hinted at years of experience and wisdom beyond his actual years on earth. Then on Nashville Skyline, he sounds like a goofball that couldn't tie his own shoes. The better country influenced album IMO is John Wesley Harding. If you don't have that one, I'd recommend it to hear him make music with a country influence before he went off the deep end into full on country. It also features some of his folkiest lyrics.
Oh, I own that one too and like it very much as well. Seems like the man couldn't miss during those years - well, as long as one likes "Nashville Skyline" like me. I have to say that the "N.S." is one of the most irresistable Dylan albums for me so far. I've listened it all about two times and allready love it. But I guess you have to accept the singing style first.....

Anyway.... Have you fallen in love with "Range Life" yet?

Iron and wine - Woman King EP
Pixies - Surfer Rosa & come on pilgrim
Bob Dylan - John Wesley harding/Blonde on Blonde

Originally Posted by Ophelia
Ooooh, I'm listening a lot to Iron and Wine right now! I borrowed all the albums from a friend. Besides "Woman King" I've been listening to "Our Endless Numbered Days" (amazing) and "The Creek Drank the Cradle" (have only listened to it once) and the fantastic "In the Reins", the collaboration with Calexico. Great stuff! I'm really getting into Iron and Wine at the moment.

And two Dylan aces as well, I see. Good for you!

The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth. It's really good, if just a little bitter. I think they took the unearned critical beating of their (in my opinion) great second album, Room On Fire, a bit too personally. They seriously need to cheer up and stop beating themselves up, but it's a great cd nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth. It's really good, if just a little bitter. I think they took the unearned critical beating of their (in my opinion) great second album, Room On Fire, a bit too personally. They seriously need to cheer up and stop beating themselves up, but it's a great cd nonetheless.
The cd is really that good?? I think the single is awful. And judging by an interview I read with them the other week they don't seem to have a clue about where they're going really. Apparently they sacked excellent producer Gordon Raphael and brought in David Kahn (Sugar Ray, Barenaked Ladies, Paul McCartney) to get rid of the old sound - which they really liked - and get a new sound - which they don't like as much. The single together with the artists Kahn's worked with previously make me want to listen to the new cd not so much. But if Monkey says it's good.....

But to tell you the truth, I never was a big Strokes fan anyway.... I absolutely love "12:51" and I own their first cd. I thought I liked them a lot when I bought that one, but then I realized that they made numerous variations of about two different songs so I can't manage an entire album with them in one sitting. But one or two songs at the time and they're really charming....

The cd is really that good?? I think the single is awful. And judging by an interview I read with them the other week they don't seem to have a clue about where they're going really. Apparently they sacked excellent producer Gordon Raphael and brought in David Kahn (Sugar Ray, Barenaked Ladies, Paul McCartney) to get rid of the old sound - which they really liked - and get a new sound - which they don't like as much. The single together with the artists Kahn's worked with previously make me want to listen to the new cd not so much. But if Monkey says it's good.....
Well it's good for a band that is clearly imploding and that seems to hate themselves. lol. I dunno, they got too famous too soon, cracked under the pressure, and I doubt they'll exist after this, but I liked the cd, it has a few really great songs and a few decent ones. I am a big fan of theirs, so I am biased. lol

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Ophelia
I just saw a movie recently where Iron and Wine did a lot of the soundtrack. Really liked their stuff.

New for me:
Depeche Mode (the new one... loving it)
Bebel Gilberto laid-back, easy-breezy south american stuff

Ooooh, I'm listening a lot to Iron and Wine right now! I borrowed all the albums from a friend. Besides "Woman King" I've been listening to "Our Endless Numbered Days" (amazing) and "The Creek Drank the Cradle" (have only listened to it once) and the fantastic "In the Reins", the collaboration with Calexico. Great stuff! I'm really getting into Iron and Wine at the moment.

And two Dylan aces as well, I see. Good for you!
Yes, I have been listening to them for a while...just getting around to buying their stuff for myself. Glad to hear you like the collaboration with Calexico...that is on my list.

Dylan, yeah....some oddball I know put me in the mood for him.

I just saw a movie recently where Iron and Wine did a lot of the soundtrack. Really liked their stuff.
Hmmm. I will take note of this.