Viggo Mortensen to Quit Acting

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
No you underestimate the depths of his desire to be finished with the craft of acting: he's so committed that he is actually going back and digitally removing himself from every film he ever made, including the DVDs in your own collection. He'll be stopping by the house around five tomorrow.
Now that sounds like a lot more work than acting, and I reckon it's a scarier road to take than The Road.

I do not think he wil quit just take some time off. He has other interests outside acting and runs a publishing house so maybe he will come back in a year or two.

I suspect Viggo will become like Daniel Day-Lewis in that he may take a year or two off between projects, but he'll keep getting approached by great directors with scripts he can't resist, so he'll wind up making four or five movies a decade rather than one or more a year. Day-Lewis has taken time off to be with his family and even had such odd jobs as a cobbler, but when his old friend Jim Sheridan or Marty Scorsese or P.T. Anderson come along with amazing roles, hey, he's a working actor again. Viggo will take time off to write his poetry or sail around the Mediterranean or whatever else he wants, but when the good scripts come calling, so will Mr. Mortensen.

Sean Penn said he was retiring from acting back in 1991 when his first directorial effort, The Indian Runner, was released. Since then he has directed three more features but he's also had starring or co-starring roles in about twenty more and counting, including five Oscar nominations as Best Actor and two wins. Viggo was the co-star of The Indian Runner, so he knows all about such sincere-at-the-time but ultimately empty statements that someone who fancies themselves an artist can make from time to time. He ain't gonna give up his art, his profession.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

By the reins of my two cents, Viggo sincerely appeared more flexibly comfortable in the smaller roles he once took -- think of his arrogant yet intriguingly straight-forward presence in Daylight, or his neutral approach as a lazy lover in A Perfect Murder. Most of these smaller films really kept him strongly balanced against other great talents. I'm not too taken by his starring roles, to be honest. One of my favorite of his remains the almost diluted of characters -- the "Blouse Man" in A Walk on the Moon, nicely directed by actor/director Tony Goldwyn, back in 1999. I simply loved how he brought much of his own skin to that personality.

This is Viggo Mortensen's next project, a David Cronenberg film where he plays Sigmund Freud to Michael Fassbender's Carl Jung (set to premiere at the Venice Film Festival this September).

Also completed is a highlighted supporting role in Walter Salles' adaptation of Kerouac's On the Road. After that he'll star in an Argentinian project.

So much for retirement. As predicted.

Viggo Mortensen to Quit Acting
Just for the record, in the nine or so years since this thread was started, Viggo Mortensen has made eight films and garnered two nominations as Best Actor (Captain Fantastic and Green Book) and his debut as a writer/director is in pre-production.

Talk about your fake news.

By the reins of my two cents, Viggo sincerely appeared more flexibly comfortable in the smaller roles he once took -- think of his arrogant yet intriguingly straight-forward presence in Daylight, or his neutral approach as a lazy lover in A Perfect Murder. Most of these smaller films really kept him strongly balanced against other great talents. I'm not too taken by his starring roles, to be honest. One of my favorite of his remains the almost diluted of characters -- the "Blouse Man" in A Walk on the Moon, nicely directed by actor/director Tony Goldwyn, back in 1999. I simply loved how he brought much of his own skin to that personality.

Nice to see some mention of Daylight...loved Viggo in that movie.

Here's a clip of Viggo scaring the bejesus out of baddies everywhere and everyone in the actor's guild.

Warning: graphic violence and nudity

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
This is how he feels. If you don't comply with him, he'll get Leatherface