The Comic Book Tab

Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Punisher #38 (Pt. 2 of Man of Stone)

Well, the new movie's getting close. Need. All. Story. Arcs.

Ultimatum #1 (Pt. 1 of 5)

God, the saga gave me a headache, but I think I have a grasp of what's going on. Pretty good.

Storming Paradise #4

God, just look at that badass cover.

Sgt. Rock: The Lost Battalion (#1 of 6)

I was really looking forward to this. I love WWII things.

Hellboy: The Church of Moloch

Been meaning to get into Hellboy. Looks good.

Foolkiller: White Angels (#4 of 5)

Is that Punisher? On the ground? Dead? And also got the Foolkiller begining series at the back issue sale for like 2 bucks. It was good.

The Boys #24 (We should Go Now pt. 2 of 4?)

The boys is great fun.

Luba in America by Gilbert Hernandez.

Okay, first off, I just want to say that I find that cover hideous. Gotta respect Beto as a cartoonist, his ability to express meaning and emotion through body language and facial expression -- he's really got it down. I'm just not a fan of the style, maybe it's also that I don't share his fondness for gigantically-busted women, I'm not sure, but his whole aesthetic seems to rub me the wrong way. Oh well, at least the insides of this book are in black and white.

The guy who lent the book to me described it as "totally a telenovela", but I don't think so. Certainly it references and expresses a fondness for soap opera style theatrics, with everyone constantly falling in love, acting petty, cheating and so on, but it's just too fractured and self-aware and multifarious to limit it to that genre.

The title character, Luba comes from of Beto's Love and Rockets universe, along with most of the other characters, many of whom get much more stage-time in this book.

Anyway, I liked it enough to finish it, but I think more than half the reason I did finish it was because I wanted to give it back to my friend along with a good-faith appraisal. Oh well. I'll probably be reading some more stuff by Gilbert Hernandez in the near future in spite of this.

Welcome to the human race...

Hard-Boiled by Frank Miller and Geof Darrow

Wow. I haven't read such a divisive comic in ages.

What I mean is that the brilliant intricacy of every panel's artwork is roughly cancelled out by its rather simplistic plot that means the book can easily be read through in the space of an hour (like I managed to do). I wouldn't really have much problem with this if it hadn't cost me $39, which I think should demand something a little richer in depth.

If any studio had the balls to finance an as-faithful-as-possible film adaptation, it could very well be the greatest action film of the 21st century.

Total =

Hard Boiled is good but yeah, there's not enough there to shell out $39 for, but then that's true of most comics. I read it for free at a public library in Seoul.

Have you read Electra: Assassin, though? Miller's best, best, best and much denser and more complex than the above-mentioned book.

Lines - no, I haven't read it. Looks interesting enough, and if it makes use of the same potential I know Miller is capable of achieving, I'll definitely check it out.

Also...

Transmetropolitan: Tales of Human Waste by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson

The first Transmetropolitan comic I've ever read. With any luck, it will definitely not be the last. I can't remember the last time I actually laughed while reading a comic. The only problem is that it's really just a disjointed collection of small newspaper columns and matching pictures. Still, the entire "Drink-My-Urine Day" prologue made my day.

The Sandman Vol. 8: World's End by Neil Gaiman and various artists

Certainly an interesting piece of work. The anthology angle was tackled rather well, and of course it's a Sandman comic, so the intricacy of both the art and the writing is up to scratch.

The Sandman Vol. 4: Seasons of Mist by Neil Gaiman and various artists

Kind of slow to get into, but I do like the twists and turns that the story ended up taking.

Hi everybody....Has anybody tried reading... Nagaraja comics..

Brain Azzarello's The Joker -

Not quite as amazing as I had hoped for, it's definitely still a great book though. And I loved the fact that The Joker in this reminded me so much of Heath Ledger's Joker, who is my favorite Joker. I don't know though, it just felt weird reading it because Batman was barely even in it, he got in it the last few pages though. I thought I'd love reading a graphic novel dedicated to just the Joker, but for some reason it just seemed incomplete with out Batman in there with him. I also didn't really like that Johny character, they put way too much focus on him IMO, I mean it was supposed to be about The Joker, but a lot of the focus ended up going on him. Any Joker fan would definitely like this though, I think some Batman fans won't like it as much though since Batman didn't really get any focus at all in this, still a great reading nonetheless though.

A system of cells interlinked
Currently smack dab in the middle of:

Watchmen
(Moore/Gibbons, 1986)

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I love that you picked that cover Seds, it's my favorite part of the whole GN.

Anyway, here are three of my favorite ongoing series that are all relatively new.

Dark Avengers (#3 just came out this week)

I love the premise of villains dressing up as superheroes, and everyone trusting them. Plus Norman Osbourne is one of the best Marvel villains, I'd almost follow him being in some of the scenarios.

Punisher (#3 just came out this week too.)

A great assination attempt in the very beginning (involves being sniped from a mile away.) With a great fight against the Sentry, and the Hood is just a badass. Again, Osbourne is an AWESOME villian.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (#4 came out March 11th, next one comes April 8th)

A change of pace from the rest of the stuff I've been reading. I just love the story of TWWOO and the art aint too shabby either.

I read volumes 24 and 25 of Hunter X Hunter (Yoshihiro Togashi) in a Barnes & Noble the other day and was reminded just how simultaneously stupid/readable most manga is. This is probably one of the more-"readable" bad Shonen Jump manga that I've read.

I will say that it's gotten a lot less entertaining in the current (killer ants/post-greed island) story arc. Here's the wikipedia description of the set up for my favorite story arc in the series:

"The third story arc reunites the main characters for the world's largest auction in a sprawling metropolis called Yorknew City (Yorkshin City in the original Japanese version). Gon, Killua, and Leorio try different methods to make enough money to buy Greed Island, a video game that could help Gon find his father."

Yes, it's a serious fantasy/action/epic about buying video games (among other things)...

I've tired reading Jimmy Corrigan - The smartest kid on Earth, but I found the layout too confusing so I gave up on it. I also started David Boring, which doesn't seem particularly interesting ODDLY ENOUGH. Maus was amazing though.

Did you read Jimmy Corrigan in its published version or on a computer screen? that is one comic that I think would be frustrating on a computer screen. the layout is the entire fun of that otherwise-joyless comic though.

Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar et al

The basic plot of Red Son is an alternative history of Superman comics (and by extension the world at large) by having young Kal-El crash-land in the Soviet Union instead of in Smallville, U.S.A. (as per the character's actual continuity). I have to say, I really enjoyed it a lot - all the little details and references, not to mention a strong plotline and an ending that was so shockingly well-done it sent shivers down my spine.

Highly recommended.

Edgar Wright's next film is going to be an adaptation of this 5 part graphic novel series so I thought I should check em out.

The first one was really enjoyable , I've got the rest sitting here.