Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Burn After Reading: 2008
+

The end of Act 2 is darker than a bar of Cadbury's Royal Dark.
Ooh I love that movie so much. Yeah a few dark moments in that but I laughed so hard.

Kingsman 2. Starts off so ridiculously stupid I thought it was a parody and just watched it as one. Fell asleep (not because of the movie) but read some reviews this morning that were absolutely scathing. I will revisit it just to see him keeping his glasses on his face during the most amazing moves, including being underwater. I wear glasses so I must try this in the bath.

My rating before finishing it - ridiculously stupid fun. The disco music is sublime.
Sorry to quote myself but picked up Kingsman 2. Saw an actor and thought sheeyit he looks like Elton John. Well blowme over with a feather.

Now THIS.... was legitmately.... the best and creepiest horror movie I've seen in years! Damn.... is all I can say.

9.5/10
Isnt it great. I loved it, and I dont even like found footage genre. Ending is awesome!

I just looked at the trailer which ive never seen. Even that is great (but I would suggest to those who might watch the movie not to watchit.)

I've avoided this movie since it came out..way, way back. Nothing but scathing reviews. But my friend bought the blu ray with Amazon bucks he had earned, so we scoped it out tonight on a hunch that it might be one of those movies.

It was...

976-EVIL (1988)
Director: Robert Englund

Story of a nerdy momma's boy who calls a horoscope hotline and is granted evil powers to exact revenge on his wrong doers. Problem is that it takes more than half the movie to establish what exactly is going on here. What the HELL is going on here?!!

Director Englund absolutely nails atmosphere and hires 2 great composers ( Thomas Chase & Steve Ruckerto) to offer up a score in the tradition of Charlie Berstein's original A Nightmare on Elm Street style synth darkness, but as a story-teller he is way out there. Scenes run on too long creating a weird and murky awkwardness. Is he joking with us? I wasn't always sure. There was a fair amount of really subtle humor in this, especially from the woman who plays the over bearing religious mom, but some of the long takes feel like a punch line is coming, and then nothing happens.

I can totally see why this film is a cult hit nowadays. It has everything you want in a twisted horror; humor, gore, creepy vibes, creepier music, insane camera placement, great night time sets, smoke filtered matte paintings..the whole nine.

As a story it is barely able to hold itself together. It seemed like a bunch of filaments stringing together notes and scene outlines with no real dialog or direction to work from. Englund definitely takes his time with this one. It stands on the edge of boring, but then something genuinely inspired happens and we get another ten minutes we forgive.

I liked this movie. It was just about inane and absurd but that also works in its favor. I'd go so far as to say that Robert Englund was a visionary at this time. It's true he did have his Elm St films to use as a template, but there's more to this film, and it's able to stand apart from his franchise. He's no Wes Craven, and he's no Tobe Hooper, but if he had kept going in this direction, and with a better script supervisor, he may have held a place as director all its own class.

+

Irreversible (2002)

SPOILERS

I have to say THE scene was not as bad as I thought not that I felt it wasn't horrible, it was. A scene like that has to be in a realistic setting to be disturbing for me and it just wasn't, on a busy road okay in an underground crossing but still nobody with half a brain would do it there, pimps are a lot of things but they're not stupid. The film itself however was brilliant, there was still a good half hour after the scene and it really was heartbreaking the memento style editing did work very well. The acting was great especially by the main three, their relationship felt so genuine Pierre, Alex and Marcus. The fact that I can remember there names the next day is a miracle in itself my memory truly is awful so it defientely had an impact on me. The reason I mention their character names is because the last French film I watched "haute tension" had Alex as the main female lead which is kinda weird. Heartbreaking but not disturbing for me.

https://theredlist.com/media/databas...theredlist.jpg

Straw Dogs (1971) (rewatch)

I love the rawness of this movie, sure, a lot of talk about stereotyping. Some characters are poorly realised. I found it all believable though. Unlike others I didn't find the "scene" ambiguous at all, just harrowing. Glad to reaquaint with this. Strong 8/10 (one point off for the really rushed very very very ending).

Irreversible (2002)

SPOILERS

I have to say THE scene was not as bad as I thought not that I felt it wasn't horrible, it was. A scene like that has to be in a realistic setting to be disturbing for me and it just wasn't, on a busy road okay in an underground crossing but still nobody with half a brain would do it there, pimps are a lot of things but they're not stupid. The film itself however was brilliant, there was still a good half hour after the scene and it really was heartbreaking the memento style editing did work very well. The acting was great especially by the main three, their relationship felt so genuine Pierre, Alex and Marcus. The fact that I can remember there names the next day is a miracle in itself my memory truly is awful so it defientely had an impact on me. The reason I mention their character names is because the last French film I watched "haute tension" had Alex as the main female lead which is kinda weird. Heartbreaking but not disturbing for me.
It's a strange one, I liked this but have never felt the need to watch again, whereas "Seul contrais tous" I have watched a number of times. I still have my old "Play.com" copy so will have another watch. On a sunny day.

Now THIS.... was legitmately.... the best and creepiest horror movie I've seen in years! Damn.... is all I can say.

9.5/10
I still want to know how they did that ending! Agreed on the movie being effective and ultra WTF?!

I still want to know how they did that ending! Agreed on the movie being effective and ultra WTF?!
After seeing YMS giving it a 1/10 I was thinking "Ok, it's probably crap". But everyone's sudden love makes me think it will be alright.

Skinny Fishburne is in King of New York.

Still haven't figured out what the tampons are for...
I'd heard of "King of New York" I attempted to see a couple of his mid-90s films (The Funeral, The Addiction) that left me completely cold but looking at the reviews it looks like "The King.." is more my speed. On the list!

I'd heard of "King of New York" I attempted to see a couple of his mid-90s films (The Funeral, The Addiction) that left me completely cold but looking at the reviews it looks like "The King.." is more my speed. On the list!
Abel Ferrara I mean!

Swing High, Swing Low (Mitchell Leisen, 1937)
+
Reasonable offering but nothing to really trumpet